Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AMS Security Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Flying HEL-AMS-JFK today, transiting through AMS has been OK so far. The first passport control line was busy, and the priority lane was a mix of everyone who wanted to be there. It was moving.

The new and improved screening was pretty quick with Sky Priority status, the kettle line was long and appeared to move slowly, the SP line was empty, we sailed right through.

Then the usual shenanigans at your gate.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
As far as I can tell this setup is a joke. At least how they have it currently implemented. Its OPTIONAL to go thru the D1 process and then they give you a little piece of paper that the folks at the gate never looked at and asked us the same questions anyways!

The question is: If you go direct to the gate are they going to send you BACK to D1 to process? I have to believe the answer is NO.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:37 am

Additionally, the Delta app as well as delta.com show the actual gate assignment, so one could check their phone or delta.com from the lounge and skip the screening altogether if they know the gate assignment.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by airindia787
Additionally, the Delta app as well as delta.com show the actual gate assignment, so one could check their phone or delta.com from the lounge and skip the screening altogether if they know the gate assignment.
I was pondering doing exactly that yesterday, but once I got to the new setup by D1 I saw that the SP line was empty, so we went through it, just in case they'd want to send us back there at the gate.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
As far as I can tell this setup is a joke. At least how they have it currently implemented. Its OPTIONAL to go thru the D1 process and then they give you a little piece of paper that the folks at the gate never looked at and asked us the same questions anyways!

The question is: If you go direct to the gate are they going to send you BACK to D1 to process? I have to believe the answer is NO.
I got that slip of paper (which has no identifying information on the pax at all, it just shows flight number, departure time and gate number).

But, I also got a new little sticker in the back cover of my passport. I've no idea if the gate personnel looked at that or not. I also don't know if my pax record was updated with my stop at D1 or not.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan

I don't believe it is optional. I've been through AMS many times and the security interview and screening have always been separate and required at AMS. They just moved the interview to a common area at D1 instead of doing the interview at the gate. When I went through a week ago, they did not ask the same questions at the gate screening. Just the usual request about liquids and removing electronics from your bag.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I don't believe it is optional. I've been through AMS many times and the security interview and screening have always been separate and required at AMS. They just moved the interview to a common area at D1 instead of doing the interview at the gate. When I went through a week ago, they did not ask the same questions at the gate screening. Just the usual request about liquids and removing electronics from your bag.
However, at some other airlines that do the security questions, some passengers who skip that step are taken aside and questioned at the gate. I've seen this at SIN, for example, presumably for those who are connecting and thus cannot be questioned in the check in area. It seems routine there, although as an originating passenger, one cannot go airside (through passport control) without doing the questions at check in, including if you do OLCI.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by Grouchy
They have on average 6 seconds to look at your passport. All they can see is; pax entered the EU (AMS) at that day and is leaving the EU (AMS) on a certain date. As there are no further border controls they cannot known.
I'd say you have been exceptionally lucky, as my encounters with AMS passport control tend to take up to ten minutes (and I have been Platinum Elite Plus for decades, and flying 100,000 miles per year until this year, since I've given up on Delta and am using points). I look completely innocuous (i.e. typical American woman in early 60s if there is such a thing), but as I've mentioned before I get asked why I overstayed a visa in the Netherlands, when I've never been there more than two days in my whole life. They then compare all the stickers on the back, but since I fly Delta stock, I often am going one way on Delta, KLM, AF, or Alitalia and a different way back. Another time, I was harassed for not having enough space in my passport (I still had four empty pages and was heading home).

I never have problems in Rome or Paris.

My experience with the new D1 on May 16 was that it was not technically a problem (my gate was 43), but the signs in the Skyteam Lounge were telling everyone to head there right away (more than 2 hours before the flight). When me and several other people got there they weren't even open and there were few seats. So ignore the signs and allow only a tiny bit more time than you would have before D1.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by yolandearagon
I'd say you have been exceptionally lucky, as my encounters with AMS passport control tend to take up to ten minutes
Well to be honest..in the past have obtained a VGB/Security Clearance, a Certificate of Conduct/VOG & was/am a member of Flux/GE and make sure that i don't end up on the wrong side in the following systems;
Nationaal Schengen Informatie Systeem (NSIS)
Nationale opsporingsregister (OPS)
Justitieel Documentatie Systeem (JDS)
BasisRegister / VreemdelingenRegister (BR/VR)
Register Paspoort Signaleringen (RPS)
Nationaal Documenten Systeem (NDS)

(and I have been Platinum Elite Plus for decades, and flying 100,000 miles per year until this year, since I've given up on Delta and am using points). I look completely innocuous (i.e. typical American woman in early 60s if there is such a thing), but as I've mentioned before I get asked why I overstayed a visa in the Netherlands, when I've never been there more than two days in my whole life. They then compare all the stickers on the back, but since I fly Delta stock, I often am going one way on Delta, KLM, AF, or Alitalia and a different way back. Another time, I was harassed for not having enough space in my passport (I still had four empty pages and was heading home).

I never have problems in Rome or Paris.
KMar might be more interested in a pax passport, history, what's comming up in their systems and behaviour then a pax FF status and/or looks. You might come up in one of the systems. Nothing wrong imo to check a pax out of if the pieces don't match.

My experience with the new D1 on May 16 was that it was not technically a problem (my gate was 43), but the signs in the Skyteam Lounge were telling everyone to head there right away (more than 2 hours before the flight). When me and several other people got there they weren't even open and there were few seats. So ignore the signs and allow only a tiny bit more time than you would have before D1.
That's sadly always the cause in AMS. Most AMS regulars knows this and ignore those times. They want you go the gate asap. Sitting there two hours in the holding pen...thanks but no
Same silly times/messages for other ICA flights.

IMO a final conclusion about the D1 PDC and Schiphol generally should be made after 3 June (after the switch) and even then it might need some fine tuning, at the moment it's still wip @AMS.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec
New AMS Security Screening

I skipped E4 and went directly to the gate for AMS-JFK and I got severely scolded and question, "how could I possible know where the plane was..."

Then they just let me follow the old course of questioning and ridiculous security. My iPhone cable needs to come out of my bag, really!?
Old May 25, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
Went through on Saturday. Took a few minutes, got my slip of paper and my sticker for the back of my passport and went to the gate to the usual chaos.

As I stood in line at the gate I thought one thing...I have to believe the only reason this new approach exists is the same reason Delta does anything these days...SOMEHOW THIS SAVES THEM MONEY.

I did see them send someone back to D1.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by squashgw
Then they just let me follow the old course of questioning and ridiculous security. My iPhone cable needs to come out of my bag, really!?
That's only going on since 2012. The amount of cables and other (electronic) accessories in a bag can make it quite difficult to check for "questionable materials". By removing some of the cables, chargers, etc from you bag you can prevent a secondary (physical) check with the inevitable (long) wait. Of course kettles/DYKWIA's don't always cooperate and as a result creating the long waiting times.

Originally Posted by slipbeer
Went through on Saturday. Took a few minutes, got my slip of paper and my sticker for the back of my passport and went to the gate to the usual chaos.

As I stood in line at the gate I thought one thing...I have to believe the only reason this new approach exists is the same reason Delta does anything these days...SOMEHOW THIS SAVES THEM MONEY.

I did see them send someone back to D1.
See it as an investment in customer experience by Delta. That pre departure check @AMS is a reflection on Delta and my guess is in a kind of way they want to take matters in their own hand as much as possible.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Gold
If you have a long layover at AMS can you go to D1, get your check done, and then go to the lounge,duty free, etc. before going to gate? I have seen some people mention that they have, but I'm not clear if they are slipping through the cracks or not.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1
If you have a long layover at AMS can you go to D1, get your check done, and then go to the lounge,duty free, etc. before going to gate? I have seen some people mention that they have, but I'm not clear if they are slipping through the cracks or not.
We did D1, Crown Lounge, Gate.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by Asquared1
At least in my case they told me I would have had to go through passport control again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.