Search

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Can I do this?

Ok so friends want us to ride to Florida with them next spring but we are not
going to stay as long as they are
My question to you experts is this Can I book a round trip ticket using a companion certificate and just do the first leg of the trip (back home) and then just skip the second leg or is this not do-able?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

If your question is this: "Can I skip the last segment (individual flight) of a roundtrip ticket booked with an Amex companion certificate?"

The answer is "yes". You companion can still board the last flight without you.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

re

thanks for your reply but what i really meant was both of us skip the return flight? Would I want to call them and tell them we were not going to be on the return flight so they could use the seats if needed for stand-by?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
if you're not boarding by t-10 or 5 rest assured they will drop your seat to standby, no need to tell them to do so.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Why would you use certs and book roundtrips???
Is throwing the return really cheaper than each buying oneways??
Old May 5, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

re

Hey Johnny the reason I was going to use a companion cert is because I dont think we will have any other trips to use it on and it would be cheaper to use the companion cert and only pay for one ticket
Also thinking we may do a one way out to our destination if we dont go in a vehicle with friends and book us one way first class
Just weighing options
Old May 5, 2015, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that you can skip the last segment (return portion of RT) but not the outbound. Could you book the return part for far in the future so that you might be able to use it later?

In many domestic markets, RTs price as two one ways, so it's surprising that using the companion cert for a RT ticket is significantly cheaper than just buying the two one way tickets you need. You might be able to use your companion cert later.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Remember that companion certs are transferable, too (or at least, you can use them to book other people). So if two one-ways are nearly the same price as booking the companion cert and then throwing away the return, consider just booking the one ways and treating a friend/family member to the certificate, if you truly have no use for it yourself.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would price out the two xOW. People say that they have no use for something and then an issue pops up and they wish they had that "thing". It also really is a wonderful present and, with DL's permission, you can even allow it to be auctioned for a charity event and do some real good with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.