Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Recommended time to allow for a "can't afford to miss" flight from ATL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended time to allow for a "can't afford to miss" flight from ATL?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 10:15 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Makes me wonder what these people do for a living? Or nowadays business deals are done over rafting trips in Grand Canyon.
Simple. Like a cruise this trip was prepaid and not cheap. If you miss the boat you're out the money. All of it.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Simple. Like a cruise this trip was prepaid and not cheap. If you miss the boat you're out the money. All of it.
If I recall my econ 101 correctly, all the prepaid should be considered "sunk" cost. So it is not really a financial loss anymore.

Why using the examples of cruise or rafting to be sunk (no pun intended) cost is beyond my imagination.

Sorry of being technical, just can't help myself with this pun. Hope you had fun or pun
Old May 5, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by nsx
Thanks for all the advice. The trip was successful. He arrived at the airport 80 minutes before the flight and reached the gate in plenty of time for boarding.

The flight to PHX was on time, followed by a 4 hour drive to the Grand Canyon, followed a few hours later by a 10-mile hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to meet a rafting trip. Fortunately the baggage was not delayed either, since no airline delivers lost bags by helicopter! No backup plan was feasible for any of this. There's no substitute for luck.
Holy sh... would not have wanted to be driving near this guy at 3am Pacific, on a two-lane national highway in deserted, pitch-black Northern Arizona after a four-hour flight and a full day in Georgia. The risks people take...
Old May 5, 2015, 10:06 pm

I would say 2-3 hours is best especially with weather conditions at ATL. Perhaps your relative could fly in to ATL the day before the flight if its that important especially with weather delays. I would much rather have too much time on my hands than too little time and be stressed out.

Your relative can then check out of his hotel around 12:00 noon and get a Day Pass to the Delta SkyClub and spend the rest of the time there.

Your relative could pack his suitcase and see if it can be sent to his final destination if its international there are no bag costs or the agent could short check it to ATL and waive the Domestic Bag Fee and then your relative could then just check it in to his final destination.

Or if Delta can send it directly to his onward destination then your relative could pack an overnight bag with clothes and small TSA approved toiletries for the overnight stay. The Sheraton ATL is a great hotel for overnights and a lot of DL crew stay there and they offer a free shuttle to and from the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.