Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Delta partner to fly SIN-SYd route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM

I've got a trip coming up involving the U.S., Singapore and Sydney. The only leg that Delta doesn't seem to serve is between SIN-SYD (Singapore-Sydney) and I'd really like to find a way to earn MQM's to help maintain my DM status.

The closest partner I'm able to find is Garuda Indonesia but that doesn't even appear to be direct either and it's a Group 3 partner.

Anyone done this route before? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Travis
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Travisaurus
I've got a trip coming up involving the U.S., Singapore and Sydney. The only leg that Delta doesn't seem to serve is between SIN-SYD (Singapore-Sydney) and I'd really like to find a way to earn MQM's to help maintain my DM status.

The closest partner I'm able to find is Garuda Indonesia but that doesn't even appear to be direct either and it's a Group 3 partner.

Cheers
Travis
Virgin Australia.

Plus, they're a group 1 partner airline so you earn full everything.

In looking at the Virgin Australia website, it looks like the non stop flights are operated by Singapore Airlines. Best thing to do is call Delta (a few times) to confirm you will get full everything. Something tells me that because its operated by Singapore, you wont (but you never know).

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../airlines.html

Last edited by DL2SXM; Apr 27, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fligth number exclusions kill the SQ-operated SIN-SYD flight.

There's no need to guess at this stuff, nor to call: accrual rules are documented.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...australia.html

IMHO, a connection on a 'reduced' MQM earning carrier like Garuda isn't worth it unless one is really addicted to status and these few MQMs will make the difference.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Fligth number exclusions kill the SQ-operated SIN-SYD flight.

There's no need to guess at this stuff, nor to call: accrual rules are documented.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...australia.html

IMHO, a connection on a 'reduced' MQM earning carrier like Garuda isn't worth it unless one is really addicted to status and these few MQMs will make the difference.

If you get DL to ticket the ticket though, I don't think it even needed to be a partner flight

""With the 2015 SkyMiles program, members now earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price (base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges, but excluding government-imposed taxes and fees) for Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed flights, instead of distance flown.""

would really like to test this out
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold

It may be possible to combine SIN-DPS on KL 835 with DPS-SYD on VA 70
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Another possibility if you have access to United miles or Chase points to transfer to United and want to spend them -- a UA award booking connecting through BKK on TG - saver awards in business at 30,000 miles plus $47 taxes. Or if you want to double connect there are some awards that give you international First on 2 legs for 35,000 miles (SIN-HKG-BKK-SYD).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM
This is all good advice! Appreciate everyone's input on this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Virgin Australia.

Plus, they're a group 1 partner airline so you earn full everything.

In looking at the Virgin Australia website, it looks like the non stop flights are operated by Singapore Airlines. Best thing to do is call Delta (a few times) to confirm you will get full everything. Something tells me that because its operated by Singapore, you wont (but you never know).

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../airlines.html
Correct, VA does not serve SIN with their own metal and the SQ-operated flights from SIN to Australia will not earn any SkyPesos or MQMs. There will also be no recognition of DL elite status. Don't bother to call DL; an agent may well tell you that there is reciprocal recognition with VA, but that's incorrect in this case. VA has built themselves a nice collection of partner airlines (anchored by EY, SQ, NZ, and DL) that does reasonably well serving Australia-based VA frequent flyers, but since VA's partners often aren't partners with each other, it can leave VA partners' frequent flyers without a good option for ex-Australia international flights. This is a good example of this problem.

For reference, the only VA-operated long haul flights are daily LAX-SYD, daily LAX-BNE (this used to be 4x weekly combined with 3x weekly LAX-MEL), and 3x weekly SYD-AUH (and that gets seasonally suspended when one of VA's 77Ws needs heavy maintenance). For any other long haul route to Australia, VA does not help DL frequent flyers.

Originally Posted by VladQ
It may be possible to combine SIN-DPS on KL 835 with DPS-SYD on VA 70
Ugh, I wouldn't bother with that. DPS-SYD is a long flight on a lesiure-configured 737. Better to forego miles and status recognition and fly nonstop on BA, SQ, or QF; perfectly nice airlines (to say the least).

Last edited by ashill; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:11 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by ashill
Ugh, I wouldn't bother with that. DPS-SYD is a long flight on a lesiure-configured 737. Better to forego miles and status recognition and fly nonstop on BA, SQ, or QF; perfectly nice airlines (to say the least).
And DPS is not really a great airport for connections.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Travisaurus

Cheers
Travis
VN is a good alternative although you're not going to get full freight with this either. IMHO Skymiles is useless for accruing intra asia/oceania if you're not hubbing through Tokyo.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And DPS is not really a great airport for connections.
Unless you want to have some fun in Bali
But why is it so bad?? Never transit there but other than that is just like normal Indonesian airport.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Another option is to fly QF, SQ, Jetstar, or Scoot SIN-PER and then fly VA PER-SYD. You get 100% MQMs, RDMs, and MQDs (as a fare class multiplier, not based on actual spend) and a pretty good product on VA's A330 for the transcon flight. It's 2400+2000 miles instead of a 3900 mile nonstop, so not wildly out of the way. Of course, no mileage credit for any of these SIN-PER flights, though you might be able to get a VA code for the SQ-operated one (again, no DL mileage credit even if VA-coded).

No idea if you can get a reasonable fare or connection timing for this routing, though.

ETA: VA sells decent-looking connections with a VA code all the way through, operated by SQ SIN-PER and by VA PER-SYD. That wouldn't be a bad option, and you'd get about 2000 MQMs if flying coach (which I think is more than you'd get on VN or Garuda). However, VA's web site doesn't appear to let you book a flight originating in SIN; may have to go to a third party to book it. VA will also sell you nonstops or routings through BNE, which would give you more time on SQ metal and thus less DL mileage credit.

Last edited by ashill; Apr 28, 2015 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Another option is to fly QF, SQ, Jetstar, or Scoot SIN-PER and then fly VA PER-SYD.
Not a bad idea but Perth is bad airport for domestic <-> international connections. Two separate terminals located a long transfer bus ride from each other. Make sure you allow plenty of time if you go down that path or book a connection through so you're protected.

Later this year (it has been perpetually delayed) Virgin will be moving their domestic ops to the international side of the airport so it will be easier to transfer then.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
well, this is what I would do. Take Delta - SYD to LAX, then Delta LAX to NRT, then Delta again, NRT to SIN.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Apr 28, 2015 at 5:40 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
Take Delta - SYD to LAX, then Delta LAX to NRT, then Delta again, NRT to SIN.
I've done similarly convoluted but not to get miles or status. I had a boss who figured out it would be CHEAPER to do a route that way.

We have a saying about if you want to be a global company, act like a global company but that was a really dumbass trip and I had no choice but to do it that way.

This was all up front but still....to save 1000 bucks by exploiting what apparently were price options only someone in an insane asylum would take the time to root out.

This is one of those times where you need to read the threads about how status ain't worth what it used to be. Life is too short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.