Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible to use GUC on AF/KL-issued tix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to use GUC on AF/KL-issued tix?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Possible to use GUC on AF/KL-issued tix?

Hi All,

Is it possible to use a GUC for a ticket that's issued on KL or AF stock--in other words, not on 006 ticket stock (DL)? I'm hoping to buy a PV (Premium Economy) ticket in "S" class through AF.com and then use my GUC for the upgrade to J. Specifically, I would apply the GUC on DL-operated flights from LAX-JFK-CDG and use the same GUC for the AF-operated segment from CDG to JNB.

Or, am I totally SOL because GUCs can only be used on DL-issued tickets?

(Also, as a side question, on AF.com, my return flight in PV is booked in "S" class from JFK to LAX. Is it safe to assume that this means I would fly in J from JFK to LAX?)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:43 pm

If you were flying KLM you would be able to use a GUC to do a day of departure upgrade. As far as I know however Air France has no such program and you'd need to call delta and hope they have availability in business for the flights.

Also AF only allows upgrades on the transatlantic ssectors. In the future it's much better to fly on KLM because they can be used on all routes that KLM flies. I use my GUCs quite frequently when flying AMS-JNB and AMS-HKG quite frequently without a problem
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The T&Cs for GUCs do not specify a ticketing carrier.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
For SWU + mileage upgrades, AF upgrades are only available on transatlantic segments from select PE (S or W, not A if i recall) to J. Not intra-europe, not other long haul. Might want to be completely sure that the GUC can apply to that segment especially if it involves waitlisting.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by j.bell
For SWU + mileage upgrades, AF upgrades are only available on transatlantic segments from select PE (S or W, not A if i recall) to J. Not intra-europe, not other long haul. Might want to be completely sure that the GUC can apply to that segment especially if it involves waitlisting.
Folks normally shouldn't be trying to apply SWUs now; they were last issued in February 2014 and expired one year later. I think you mean GUCs, which have totally different rules.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Folks normally shouldn't be trying to apply SWUs now; they were last issued in February 2014 and expired one year later. I think you mean GUCs, which have totally different rules.
I believe GUC usage on AF and KLM is governed by the same rules that applied to the now defunct SWUs. It's just on DL metal that the GUCs are usable on almost any fare.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Tickets issued on DL/AF/KL stock...that doesn't matter. It does matter who is actually operating the flight. AF does have lots of restrictions and in theory you shouldn't be able to use your GUC on the AF operated CDG-JNB flight.
You have a better change applying a GUC on a KLM operated AMS-JNB flight. Even then you need an M fare (or buy up to one) and it will probally a DoD upgrade as they are quit stingy releasing upgrade availability in advance for Delta.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by mikepa
I believe GUC usage on AF and KLM is governed by the same rules that applied to the now defunct SWUs. It's just on DL metal that the GUCs are usable on almost any fare.
Incorrect

REDEMPTIONS ON AIR FRANCE

•Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France.¹
•One-way upgrade from Main Cabin when booked in Y, B, or M class to Premium Voyageur Class.
or
•One-way upgrade from Premium Voyageur when booked in S or W class to Business Class.

¹ Not valid on AF operated 747 aircraft flights; only valid on flights with the Premium Economy Cabin.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Incorrect

REDEMPTIONS ON AIR FRANCE

•Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France.¹
•One-way upgrade from Main Cabin when booked in Y, B, or M class to Premium Voyageur Class.
or
•One-way upgrade from Premium Voyageur when booked in S or W class to Business Class.

¹ Not valid on AF operated 747 aircraft flights; only valid on flights with the Premium Economy Cabin.
So the question now is whether I can apply a GUC on an AF-issued ticket -- both in terms of DL-operated flights within the US (i.e., LAX-JFK) and for AF-operated flights (i.e., JFK-CDG). Obviously the most simple answer is to call and ask, but I am also aware that the phone agents--bless their hearts--don't know the answer. In fact, sometimes they just make up an answer.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All,

Is it possible to use a GUC for a ticket that's issued on KL or AF stock--in other words, not on 006 ticket stock (DL)? I'm hoping to buy a PV (Premium Economy) ticket in "S" class through AF.com and then use my GUC for the upgrade to J. Specifically, I would apply the GUC on DL-operated flights from LAX-JFK-CDG and use the same GUC for the AF-operated segment from CDG to JNB.

Or, am I totally SOL because GUCs can only be used on DL-issued tickets?

(Also, as a side question, on AF.com, my return flight in PV is booked in "S" class from JFK to LAX. Is it safe to assume that this means I would fly in J from JFK to LAX?)

Theoretically, you can apply a GUC to bump your TATL PV booked in S to J. Not the CDG to JNB where will you stay in PV.
Now the problem is to find O availability on your TATL flight, > 24hr in advance (for upgrade and re-ticketing). This is becoming increasingly rare. I would recommend a subscription to ExpertFlyer and creating an alert.
When (if) O becomes available, call the diamond line and ask the GUC to be applied.
Better value IMO is to use 15k miles for the same results and keep your GUC to upgrade a delta flight booked in cheap coach.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Incorrect
Why incorrect? I think you'll find these are identical rules to the old SWU rules:

Valid on most transatlantic flights operated by Air France.¹
One-way upgrade from Main Cabin when booked in Y, B, or M class to Premium Voyageur Class.
or
One-way upgrade from Premium Voyageur when booked in S or W class to Business Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.