Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Global Upgrade (PU590) - Expiration Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Quick question about the new Global Upgrade certificates offered to Diamonds: how do the expiration dates work?

Let's say a certificate expires on September 1st. Which of these is correct?

1- ticket must be reissued (e.g. all segments upgraded to OP, certificate marked as CLOSED) by September 1st; the upgraded segment(s) can be flown afterward

2 - ticket must be reissued by September 1st and travel needs to begin by September 1st, but the first upgraded segment can start on a later date

3 - ticket must be reissued by September 1st and the first upgraded segment must be flown by September 1st, but additional upgraded segments can be flown on later dates

4- ticket must be reissued by September 1st and all upgraded segments must be flown by September 1st, but additional segments in the ticket that aren't upgraded can be flown later

5- the ticket must be entirely flown by September 1st

My understanding of the old PU503 certificates was that #1 was the correct behavior: as long as the certificate was consumed by the expiration date through the reissue process, travel could be later. But I don't know if that's changed in the new PU590 certs, and I'm having trouble finding an authoritative answer.

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
FWIW, I'm aware that the Terms and Conditions state:

Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue; all travel must be complete prior to certificate expiration date. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.
But IIRC, the old PU503s said this too, and for some reason I distinctly remember that the ticket reissue date was the date that mattered in practice - that the language was there to avoid exposing the ticket reissue process to customers.

Essentially, I'm curious whether this is enforced in practice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.