Wiki Posts
Search

incorrect pricing via phone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
incorrect pricing via phone

I called in to book something using an cancelled ticket as payment. I knew it should price it out all in T, but when the agent automatically priced it she got part of it in Q (for ~$200 more)! I suggested that it was wrong and she "forced" it to T and voilà... I got the price I expected.

As always, do your homework before using a live person.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
As an aside, I hate booking by phone. Too many chances for errors. I do agree, you have to know what you want before calling.

And yes, one can cancel. But one can never see their full fare rules.

At a minimum the fare rules should be available online after a purchase.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I didn't have a choice as it was the only way to use this ticket. It took them over a half hour to get the system to stop saying "no value remaining."

Cancel in theory, yes. I bought a ticket EU>ATL earlier this year and the agent said I could cancel tomorrow. Called back the next day, forgetting it was a not a US-originating ticket, and they refused to cancel, and even told me that it was totally unchangeable. For all intents and purposes it was an E fare, branded as a V. But I already made another thread about that... everyone said I should have known better, but as you point out, there's nary a way to know the fare rules upon purchase (save ITA Matrix).
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
well sometimes you see this fare have one ticket/seat left and if you click it, it will hold that inventory and that's why it shows 0 and system may put you up to Q to fit the fare rules.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
Had a similar thing happen recently... had to call in to use a cancelled ticket and finally gave up and settled when the agent got it to within $21 of the online price.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

When I've had foreign-originating tickets priced out over the phone in USD it's typically been off by some $20. I've also noticed that the fare and YQ are quite different than what I see online, although the total is close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.