Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SVO Routed Award Ticket Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
SVO Routed Award Ticket Questions

Delta has announced suspension of service to / from SVO for “the winter season”.

I have 4 award tickets (in J) for September booked on DL644 (JFK-SVO) connecting to SU to PRG and a return on SU from VIE-SVO-JFK. The tickets are all on 006 stock. The routing through SVO was the only way to get Low Awards (125,000) when we finally decided to take the trip. My concerns are with the result of further service suspensions by DL and possibly service suspensions by SU which could impact my trip.

The ticket breakdowns are:
2 – One way JFK-SVO-PRG by PM’s on separate PNR’s.
2 – One way VIE-SVO-JFK by PM’s on separate PNR’s.
2 – Round trips, booked by a GM with a non-status companion.

I have read, on FT and elsewhere, that the anti-American sentiment in Russia is worse than during the cold war. In a worst case situation, DL could suspend all service to SVO before my trip and SU could do the same to the US. While the latter is not likely since Russia is scrambling for foreign exchange, there could be government action on our side as part of a boycott. In any case, I’m not interested in discussing the likelihood of either or both of these suspensions or having the thread hijacked in that direction.

I am interested in finding out
1. What is Delta doing for people who have had award tickets booked on DL past the announced SVO service suspension date?
2. What are DL’s obligations if service is suspended by DL and or SU which affects my trip?

First hand factual knowledge is what I’m looking for, not speculation. I’m going to write to DL requesting information and I’d like to have any information that’s available before I write.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
2. What are DL’s obligations if service is suspended by DL and or SU which affects my trip?
Read the contract of carriage. The ticketing party (DL here, since you referenced award tickets) owes you a reroute on mutually acceptable carriers/dates/alternate airports in the purchased class of service. Failing mutual agreement you're entitled to a refund. If you're looking for excuses to cancel without penalty, DOT rules provide it: a change of carriers is your trump card.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Just what I was hoping for, thank you.

We'll want to get there, not cancel, so the reroute is what we'd push for. Since DL has 22 other flights JFK - Europe, on their own metal, the day we're scheduled out, I'm sure they could find space, even if we split up 2 and 2.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:10 am

If you are in fact looking to go, find a routing that works for you, call now, and suggest it. DL can open up low inventory on any DL operated flight. They cannot open low inventory on a partner, so the trick will be to find EU-SVO in low. Once you do that, find any DL metal flight that connects nicely to it and call and suggest that. No need to split 2 and 2, unless the EU-SVO inventory is only available 2 and 2.

You may have to wait until the SVO flights are officially cancelled. I know the SVO cancellation was discussed in the earnings call, but not sure it has been otherwise officially announced. If it has, then follow the instructions above. Good luck.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Delta has announced suspension of service to / from SVO for “the winter season”.

I have 4 award tickets (in J) for September booked on DL644 (JFK-SVO) connecting to SU to PRG and a return on SU from VIE-SVO-JFK. The tickets are all on 006 stock. The routing through SVO was the only way to get Low Awards (125,000) when we finally decided to take the trip. My concerns are with the result of further service suspensions by DL and possibly service suspensions by SU which could impact my trip.

I have read, on FT and elsewhere, that the anti-American sentiment in Russia is worse than during the cold war. In a worst case situation, DL could suspend all service to SVO before my trip and SU could do the same to the US. While the latter is not likely since Russia is scrambling for foreign exchange, there could be government action on our side as part of a boycott. In any case, I’m not interested in discussing the likelihood of either or both of these suspensions or having the thread hijacked in that direction.

1. What is Delta doing for people who have had award tickets booked on DL past the announced SVO service suspension date?

First hand factual knowledge is what I’m looking for, not speculation. I’m going to write to DL requesting information and I’d like to have any information that’s available before I write.

Once the cancellation has happened since it is a schedule change, they will be able to put you on any DL flights no problem and doesn't require "Low" inventory like the other said, I am not sure about partner flight but i think they can accommodate as well after collecting taxes remember though they always forget to refund when they should since Russian charge more tax then Netherlands
I realize after my last trip that I changed from AMS to SVO and they didn't refund the AMS tax and got 20 bucks back each ticket
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist

I wouldn't freak out just yet. A couple of points, international flight cuts will most likely begin with the winter flight schedule in late October, and delta has a nonstop flight from JFK to Prague.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by flyerwma
If you are in fact looking to go, find a routing that works for you, call now, and suggest it. DL can open up low inventory on any DL operated flight. They cannot open low inventory on a partner, so the trick will be to find EU-SVO in low. Once you do that, find any DL metal flight that connects nicely to it and call and suggest that. No need to split 2 and 2, unless the EU-SVO inventory is only available 2 and 2.
No need to find flights having anything to do with SVO. If the flights are cancelled, DL is obligated to rebook. Delta flies JFK-PRG. I'd ask for that. VIE is going to require a connection somewhere on a partner - CDG/AMS/FCO. I'd look for whatever is available for 6 passengers on AF, KL, or AZ from their hubs, and have DL force open the space on a flight connecting to it from the states.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by javabytes
No need to find flights having anything to do with SVO. If the flights are cancelled, DL is obligated to rebook. Delta flies JFK-PRG. I'd ask for that. VIE is going to require a connection somewhere on a partner - CDG/AMS/FCO. I'd look for whatever is available for 6 passengers on AF, KL, or AZ from their hubs, and have DL force open the space on a flight connecting to it from the states.
It's for four passengers.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL GM
I have read, on FT and elsewhere, that the anti-American sentiment in Russia is worse than during the cold war. In a worst case situation, DL could <...>
<...> and possibly service suspensions by SU <...>
Geez, anything could happen. Relax, you'll be fine. Plus, do you always believe everything said on the internet? But that's off topic.

As others have said, DL will rebook you or give full refund. DL is certainly able to open award inventory on any DL-operated flight. Given the fact that they operate JFK-PRG, your only concern (if SU gonna suspend SVO-JFK, but that's not happening) would be VIE-XXX, which could be on AZ, KL or AF metal. Plenty of options, I'm sure you'll find availability on your dates.

Btw, nice choice of SU as intra-Europe hop, their J is way nicer than KL or AF.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the information. I'm not anywhere close to going off in a panic. I just wasn't certain what protection, if any, we had on award tix. Now that I know, I'll carefully track schedule changes and jump on anything that I need to as soon as they happen.

Right now, there's lots of availability both on the DL direct flight and on the 21 other DL metal JFK TATL's scheduled that day. Once across the pond there are many connecting options.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
It's for four passengers.
Yes you're right. I read too quickly - 2+2+2.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Vienna and Prague are only separated by about a three hour fairly pleasant train ride, so if you can't get award space for VIE, you might want to consider doing a RT to Prague. Also, DL seems to have the capacity to have some special desk phone someone at KLM about award space. They did that for me for an intraEU flight that was showing as available but could not be rebooked. DL will instinctively want to rebook you first onto their own flights (where award availability won't be an issue if they are still selling even very expensive tickets on the flights you need), and then onto KLM/AF before other partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.