Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta refused to check baggage through to SYD from JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.

I would like some advice if possible please.

My son was traveling from SYD to JFK return with VA and Delta.

His ticket SYD - LAX (return) was a VA miles ticket. His Delta LAX- JFK was purchased.

The outbound was smooth but his inbound was a nightmare. Delta refused to check his baggage through to SYD as it was a separate ticket . The guy checking in next to him on the same routing (but on the same ticket) had his luggage checked through.

The big problem was while on the tarmac the flight endured a 3 hour delay. He arrived in LAX with 1 hour to go but due to the luggage taking so long long to arrive he ended up missing his flight to Sydney.

His pal whose luggage was checked through made the flight in time as he didnt have to collect his luggage.

VA put him on the next flight via Brisbane meaning his flight was an additional 5 hours.

VA told him that he should have checked his bag through to SYD but when he explained that he had asked them to and DL refused VA said take it up with DL.

Any views greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:08 pm

Separate tickets? DL could have (but was in no way obligated to) through-checked the bags.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Take it up with Delta.
I regularly check bags through to my final destination ... either from the US or when returning to the US .... on separate tickets in which the one leg will be on Delta and the rest on another airline, and even on a non-ST airline.
As long as Delta has an interline agreement with that airline, they should check bags through. It is the passengers responsibility to inform the Customer Service agent or Gate agent about the bags being checked through.
On one of my recent (2015) returns to the US, I traveled on 3 different airlines with 3 stops before I got back home.
Bags never had a problem, even though the first/ initial carrier was a non-skyteam airline. Of course had to make sure the bags were checked/ tagged on the correct flights and flight numbers. And every time we stopped before I got on board the next flight I politely requested the GA to check if my bags were transferred and on board.

Take it up with Delta ... a few Customer service agents at check in, need training and maybe even retraining!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Separate tickets? DL could have (but was in no way obligated to) through-checked the bags.
That's the answer - although the OP won't like it.

By reference, AA by policy doesn't check bags across tickets outside of its oneworld partners. (Let's be clear here: Virgin Australia is a codeshare partner and JV participant with Delta, not an alliance partner.)

http://travelsort.com/blog/interlini...laska-policies
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
My last time flying to SYD I was on a DL ticket to LAX and a separate Qantas ticket to SYD. I had absolutely no issues checking a bag through in either direction.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Delta used to allow this, but there was a policy change on Jan 15, 2013, and this is no longer in-policy to do. Some nice agents may still do it for you, but YMMV.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....arate-tickets/
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Delta used to allow this, but there was a policy change on Jan 15, 2013, and this is no longer in-policy to do. Some nice agents may still do it for you, but YMMV.

Agents are still trained to check bags on separate tickets if Delta has baggage agreements with the interline carrier. Bag fees can get complicated when this happens, but thankfully the computer does all the math.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:56 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker

This thread seems to indicate that it was announced but not implemented (go towards the end for the postponment).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...postponed.html
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Thanks very much for the excellent info.

He definately asked the check in agent to Check his bags through but the agent said no. Sounds to me like the agent couldnt be bothered to do the extra 1 mins work.

It cost my son 5 hours on top of a 25 hour flight !

It really is such a frustrating thing. He had to have separate tickets and his pal next to him checked his bags all the way. When he asked the agent why the agent said its because he has separate tickets!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:26 am

Your son should complain.

For next time, call and ask them to note in the record: "connecting to flight xx, check bags through". This will sometimes help. If not, explain you have done this several times before and it is policy to allow interline on partners. Lastly, ask for a supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.