Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta award - redeposit and refund of taxes, fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

I booked an award yesterday and immediately tried to modify it online to pick up a leg (same award price). Basically, the award began in CDG and I picked up a LHR to CDG leg because it was easier to position to LHR based on award availability on other airlines. The international desk was having trouble modifying it and the agent said it would be easier to cancel the ticket and redeposit the miles, which she did. She also indicated that the taxes and fees from the first award ticket would be refunded in a few days.

I just lost status with Delta as of February. I was a GM. She did not mention any fees to redeposit the miles, etc. nor did she ask for my credit card or payment info.

Is it common for the $150 fee to be waived?

Will my taxes and fees really be refunded?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The risk-free cancellation policy applies to award tickets as long as the ticket originates in the US.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
The risk-free cancellation policy applies to award tickets as long as the ticket originates in the US.
It did not. It was a flight from CDG to JNB.

I then wanted the international desk to add on LHR to CDG (it's an award if you search LHR to JNB) and they were having issues with the fees - the fees ended up more booked through them than the website) so the agent offered to cancel, did not mention any redeposit fees, indicated that my taxes/fees paid would be refunded, etc.

From booking to cancellation it was maybe 15-30 minutes at most. I booked, did a quick search of US to CDG award availability, then changed it to originate in LHR.

She never mentioned a redeposit fee to me either.

Edited to add that I called the elite line as that was what was still in my phone under Delta, but I am not elite as of February.

What happens now?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
She waived the fee as a courtesy, so that you can rebook LHR to JNB. You should get all of your taxes/fees back.

Do keep in mind that LHR imposes pretty hefty passenger duties, so your taxes will be higher from LHR than CDG I believe.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
She waived the fee as a courtesy, so that you can rebook LHR to JNB. You should get all of your taxes/fees back.

Do keep in mind that LHR imposes pretty hefty passenger duties, so your taxes will be higher from LHR than CDG I believe.
Thanks, That is what I am hoping happened.

Yes, definitely much higher and also priced in pounds v euro - we could have just booked the connection from LHR to CDG on our own in economy and saved maybe 200 overall (award is business for both flights) and then tried to get the itineraries linked together for checking bags, any missed connection issues, etc. but between the cancelling and the rebooking I didn't realize that until too late.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
How long did it take you to get your miles back? I have an itinerary that I am thinking of cancelling (due to a schedule change) & rebooking with a better set of dates but I'm not sure how long it would take to get my miles back. Was it instant?
Old May 17, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
How long did it take you to get your miles back? I have an itinerary that I am thinking of cancelling (due to a schedule change) & rebooking with a better set of dates but I'm not sure how long it would take to get my miles back. Was it instant?
If you're worried about that, try doing it by phone; the agent should be able to make it go through immediately.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by TTT
Isn't this only for revenue tickets?
Old May 18, 2015, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Award ticket are revenue tickets.

However, to respond to what I suspect you mean, IIRC the DOT requirement only applies to tickets paid with money (and purchased more that seven days in advance of the first flight), but DL has voluntarily extended their 24 hour cancel policy to these cases.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
but DL has voluntarily extended their 24 hour cancel policy to these cases.
Even for paid tickets?
Old May 18, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Even for paid tickets?
Huh? The requirement is for paid tickets. DL offers the same cancellation policy for miles tickets.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:24 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
No, when travel originates in the US it is eligible for risk-free cancellation. This includes award tickets.
Even for paid tickets?
Award and paid tickets are eligible for the risk-free cancelation when the other conditions have been met.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cellation.html
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TTT
No, when travel originates in the US it is eligible for risk-free cancellation. This includes award tickets.
i've managed to cancel & change tickets within 24 hours of booking even if travel does not originate in the us....both award & revenue....
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
would anyone know how long delta takes to refund the miles & taxes for a medical reason outside the 24 hour booking window????i faxed the papers from the hospital to their international refunds department & they confirmed that they have received them & it would take 7 business days to process the refund....it's been over 7 business days now & when i called them earlier today they said the refund has still not been processed & it will take a little longer....
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've managed to cancel & change tickets within 24 hours of booking even if travel does not originate in the us....both award & revenue....
Delta allows that, even though it doesn't have to (by US law anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.