Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible to cancel outbound but keep return & not pay change fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

I need to add a segment and it's way to expensive to do it with cash, so I want to keep my return flight but buy a new outbound with miles--is this possible?

More details: I am booked MSP-SFO-MSP. I now want to go MSP-LAX-SFO-MSP. I wanted to cancel MSP-SFO and instead book with miles MSP-LAX-SFO and keep my purchased SFO-MSP, but agent said I need to buy a brand new one way ticket and pay change fee. Is this true? Any way around this?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:01 pm

Unless you have a significant delay on the Day of Departure you're out of luck.
Even with a sked change they would refund the whole ticket but not just the OB.

If you don't take your OB the return will cancel
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this true? Any way around this?
Yes. No.

If you cancel before departure the ticket will hold value less the change fee that can be used for another ticket. If you cancel just the outbound, the return will be repriced using one-way, current fares (essentially buying a new ticket at the current price).

If you skip the outbound, the return flight will cancel and leave you with the residual value less the change fee.

If I were you, I would look to buy a round-trip SFO-LAX to connect with your SFO arrival. Those can be had for $150/rt. Less than the change fee on your existing ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A riskier idea, depending on how long the OP needs to spend at LAX, might be to try to SDC to MSP-LAX-SFO at T-24 and then perhaps try again to SDC to a later LAX-SFO the same day, but agents might refuse to do a SDC with more than four hours connecting time at LAX on a domestic itinerary.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

ok thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TTT
... I would look to buy a round-trip SFO-LAX to connect with your SFO arrival. Those can be had for $150/rt. Less than the change fee on your existing ticket.
+1
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

I need to go to LAX 3 days earlier than my current arrival in SFO, so I can't do that.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
ok thanks!
Just remember to allow lots of connecting time since you will be traveling on two separate tickets, although since you have status with DL, agents might kindly rebook you for free if both tickets are DL, especially if the delay on the first flight is DL's fault.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just skip over posts 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8 ... and this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.