Wiki Posts
Search

Give BOS-AMS to KL?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Give BOS-AMS to KL?

Any reason why DL still operates BOS-AMS? I think it was acquired from NW back in the day...
Delta used to continue onto BOM, but now that AMS-BOM has been pullled does it make sense to hand 2x BOS-AMS to KL and use the two planes somewhere else? ex-SEA perhaps?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I see no reason why the cessation of AMS-BOM would materially impact BOS-AMS as a route. It also isn't clear that KL has spare planes to serve it.

As a customer, I would not support any moves to shift BOS-AMS to KL's inferior J equipment.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
One of the big things is that BOS remains both a crew base (for FAs) and a rather large maintenance center for Delta. While KLM has both those on the AMS end, Delta does have to have a certain portion of the ASMs in the JV to satisfy its obligations with the pilots union, so with maintenance and FA crew already there, it makes it easier to choose to have Delta operate.

Air France already had an operation in Boston prior to the JV (KLM did not; NW did the flying), so in terms of basic paperwork, etc., it makes some sense to keep them on the route.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
Delta does have to have a certain portion of the ASMs in the JV to satisfy its obligations with the pilots union
I am willing to be that this is the winner. Unless DL is interested in doubling down on an SEA to LHR/AMS/CDG or trying to add another European city instead of a TPAC city I bet it stays DL metal for the foreseeable future.

They might try FCO but I bet the demand just isn't there.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

...Delta does have to have a certain portion of the ASMs in the JV to satisfy its obligations with the pilots union, so with maintenance and FA crew already there, it makes it easier to choose to have Delta operate.
ASMs?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
ASMs?
Available seat miles.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
I am willing to be that this is the winner. Unless DL is interested in doubling down on an SEA to LHR/AMS/CDG or trying to add another European city instead of a TPAC city I bet it stays DL metal for the foreseeable future.

They might try FCO but I bet the demand just isn't there.
AZ doesn't maintain daily service in the winter, so you're likely correct.

I get the sense DL also has a fair number of elite members here in BOS - so in that respect they may wish to maintain a reasonable amount of longer-haul destinations.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by makin'miles
AZ doesn't maintain daily service in the winter, so you're likely correct.

I get the sense DL also has a fair number of elite members here in BOS - so in that respect they may wish to maintain a reasonable amount of longer-haul destinations.
I think they just want their share of the ex-BOS TATL traffic, which is quite substantial.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
DL has other TATL flights out of BOS such as CDG and LHR so they really wouldn't benefit too much from cutting the AMS flights. I am more surprised they are keeping EWR-AMS to be honest.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
As a customer, I would not support any moves to shift BOS-AMS to KL's inferior J equipment.
Agree. Until there's a 100% chance of getting a flat bed on a KL flight, DL wins in J every time.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Please don't....

After three solid days of trying to find low J to Europe or Asia during June/July and hours of phone calls to dl res because things showing available would not book, I finally scored two low J seats BOS-AMS. Total PITA to get to BOS but better than paying 200-300K for J.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by cfischer
DL has other TATL flights out of BOS such as CDG and LHR so they really wouldn't benefit too much from cutting the AMS flights. I am more surprised they are keeping EWR-AMS to be honest.
EWR-AMS (and EWR-CDG/LHR) work out well since there's a Delta crew base for both FAs and pilots at the EWR end (the NYC base for both covers EWR/LGA/JFK). That, and the capacity of the 763 being a bit smaller than what KL/VS/AF can offer, helps.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

EWR-AMS (and EWR-CDG/LHR) work out well since there's a Delta crew base for both FAs and pilots at the EWR end (the NYC base for both covers EWR/LGA/JFK). That, and the capacity of the 763 being a bit smaller than what KL/VS/AF can offer, helps.
EWR-AMS is not just to piss off UA?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
EWR-AMS is not just to piss off UA?
Lots of Banks and Pharma companies in NJ that don't want to pay the toll for the Holland Tunnel maybe?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:42 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
I was under the impression that AMS-BOS has a lot of high revenue business class traffic, especially since DL offers the only nonstop service. I've seldom ever seen discounted Z-fares (business class) BOS-AMS; except perhaps during Christmas or Thanksgiving.

I do prefer, as mentioned above, the Delta A330s to the current non-modified KLM 777s and A330s. I'm not a fan of the Delta 767s on the later ex-BOS departure scheduled for this summer.

Considering you can (easily) upgrade both KL and DL flights ex-AMS day of departure (miles, kiosk, OLCI, co-pay + miles), it's a win to get the nicer DeltaOne equipment AMS-BOS.

Though, by sometime in 2016 the vast majority of the KLM long-haul fleet will be modified with a new business class product. Unfortunately, not 1-2-1 on the 777 and A330, but lie-flat. The KL 787s will be 1-2-1, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.