Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinks in F/BE: What's your pleasure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, it would be greatly appreciated that you stay on topic. Any off topic posts about moderation will be removed.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by piper28
Is the Margarita still around? I don't fly a huge amount, especially up front, but I thought on my last flight I didn't see it listed. I'm not a big drinker, and about the only thing I will drink are margaritas, and was a bit disappointed that it wasn't listed.

Thought about tequila and orange juice, that might work adequately too.
yep still around.

Last time I flew Delta One (mar 6) they did not have the new grey goose and I was sad
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
That's the line all three US majors have offered up, but it's not true. BA still has The Glenlivet minis, both a non-age-disclosed version in economy and a 15-year old in business. My solution to make Dewars drinkable is to bring a miniature of my own filled with a peaty Islay single malt, adding about a third of that bottle to each glass (mini) of Dewars. Adds a bit of character.
From what I can see, the issue is that the minis are not available from their distributors. So, it isn't clear that the US majors are not telling the truth, about it not being available. Remember that, in most US states, you are largely up to the mercy of the distributor in terms of what you can and cannot source.

FWIW, I am unaware of any Glenlivet that does not carry an age. It has been a long time since I have flown BA in Y, but I think you are mistaken as to either the brand or which bottling it is.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
From what I can see, the issue is that the minis are not available from their distributors. So, it isn't clear that the US majors are not telling the truth, about it not being available. Remember that, in most US states, you are largely up to the mercy of the distributor in terms of what you can and cannot source.

FWIW, I am unaware of any Glenlivet that does not carry an age. It has been a long time since I have flown BA in Y, but I think you are mistaken as to either the brand or which bottling it is.
Sure, you are limited to what the distributors carry. But if you are a big enough customer, you can get the distributors to carry something. I think Delta would qualify, if they cared enough.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
"Sure, you are limited to what the distributors carry. But if you are a big enough customer, you can get the distributors to carry something. I think Delta would qualify, if they cared enough." SEA-Foyer

Agree, considering we're talking about the three largest airlines in the world. Were I the distillery, I'd certainly covet such a contract and ensure my regional US distributors got the minis to them. Of course, that may just be the issue for The Glenlivet folks...they could not fill such a huge order with existing stocks.

I have both mini bottles right in front of me. The 15-year old has a maroon cap and label bottom certification (and is from the French Oak Reserve) while the no age has a black cap and label bottom. In the place of the "15 Years of Age" notation in the centre of the former's label, the latter has "Est'd 1824" and says it's from "the Master Distiller's Reserve". Got the 15-year old back in August when I flew World Club and the "non-vintage" [] last month when I was in World Traveler Plus. (I'd post a photo if I knew how.]
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
They used to have Glenlivet in addition to the Dewar's. But Glenlivet apparently stopped making mini's (all the airlines dropped them around the same time).
That makes me wonder - why do they use minis at all? Is it an FAA regulation? I know many foreign airlines just use real bottles.

To answer the original question - rum and coke in the AM, woodford/rocks or more rum and cokes in the PM. Wine in BE. For whatever reason, I only ever drink rum and cokes when flying. I haven't ordered them at a bar since college.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by realjd
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBJ

They used to have Glenlivet in addition to the Dewar's. But Glenlivet apparently stopped making mini's (all the airlines dropped them around the same time).

That makes me wonder - why do they use minis at all? Is it an FAA regulation? I know many foreign airlines just use real bottles.

To answer the original question - rum and coke in the AM, woodford/rocks or more rum and cokes in the PM. Wine in BE. For whatever reason, I only ever drink rum and cokes when flying. I haven't ordered them at a bar since college.
A mini allows them to control exactly how much they are giving you. Pouring from a real bottle, some FAs could have an unprofitable tendency to be generous with the pour.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Vodka/club soda with a lemon.

Occasionally a Vodka and Fresca.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:19 am

I'll get a Woodford on the rocks as a PDB. A tequila with orange juice & lime for my breakfast beverage. G&T if a pre meal beverage is offered. Red wine with lunch or dinner service. Heineken for the snack basket.

The tequila with Fresca sounds good. I'll have to give that a try.^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Woodford and Ginger, don't really change it up other than the sparkling wine PDB in J.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Vodka and club soda. Sky requires a lime though. If DL had something nicer like Ketel One the lime would be optional.
Same here.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Vodka and club soda. Sky requires a lime though. If DL had something nicer like Ketel One the lime would be optional.
I would be happy if they served Tito's Vodka! ^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I would be happy if they served Tito's Vodka! ^
Agreed, I love Tito's. Or any of the craft vodka's from one of their hubs would be nice to offer.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by rfett2
Morning Flight: Screwdriver

Afternoon/Evening Flight: Woodford and Sprite(Wish they would serve vernors from flights that originate from DTW.)
As you may know, Vernors is no longer "brewed" in Detroit, but in Ft. Worth, I believe. But your point is well taken. I enjoyed au naturel Vernors in my youth in Detroit, and now, when I can find it, with Southern Comfort.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Drinks in F/BE: What's your pleasure?

Everclear and oral rehydration salts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.