Drinks in F/BE: What's your pleasure?

Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by avidflyer
It appears there are plenty of closet morning drinkers out there they just don't want to be the first
To quote someone (I forget who).."You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning..."
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would note that, contrary to what others sometime seem to think, DL's wine choices are usually decent enough for business class wine. Most of it isn't stuff I normally drink, and some of it dips into the supermarket category, but that is what business class wine is on pretty much every carrier.
And I would agree - can't remember the exact name but I had a 2007 French Red on last Fridays DL64 ATL-MAN in Delta One.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Question about Champagne..

I love champagne and would love to order it for my PDB but I feel weird asking for it as my PDB since it sounds so clich and is a hassle for the FAs to open the bottle.

What are your thoughts? Should I not worry about this and just order it?
Internally I would agree. On international or Transcon I would have no issue at all.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I have noticed recently that on early am departures I tend to set a trend. The PDB order will be something like:

1a- Coffee, 1b- Coffee, 1c- Diet coke, 1d- water, 2a, water, 2b (me)- Bloody Mary, 2c- Bloody Mary, 2d- Bloody Mary, 3a-Bloody Mary, etc.....

It appears there are plenty of closet morning drinkers out there they just don't want to be the first
Economists call this the first drinker problem.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Economists call this the first drinker problem.
MSPeconomist might chime in.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:27 am Reason: Removed off topic discussion
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Last time I was in International BE they had a really good Port.

Nothing like that in domestic, so I usually drink JD Tennessee Honey in Coke zero.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Internally I would agree. On international or Transcon I would have no issue at all.
I do not believe DL carries any bubbly on domestic.
On international flights, they open a bottle of sparkling wine of sorts for PDB, and actual champagne only after take off.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I do not believe DL carries any bubbly on domestic.
They do on JFK-LAX/SFO at least. If I recall it's not Champagne but sparkling wine. Many years ago they had Champagne on these routes.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Didn't they have a better domestic scotch up until a couple of years ago? What brand was it?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
Last time I was in International BE they had a really good Port.
Yes - had that too- last Friday on DL64 - and it went delightfully with the cheese plate. (Can you tell I am British )
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
My GF recently had 5 screwdrivers PHX-DTW. She wasn't hammered.
Do some flight attendants in FC put only half a bottle of liquor in the drinks?
My GF insists that the drinks were not strong, and on those small glasses, they should be fairly potent if the full bottle was used.
I'm a Woodford or Gin n Tonic guy myself. And some Coke Zero.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Didn't they have a better domestic scotch up until a couple of years ago? What brand was it?
They used to have Glenlivet in addition to the Dewar's. But Glenlivet apparently stopped making mini's (all the airlines dropped them around the same time).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Flew DL regional in F yesterday, asked for Scotch and FA said they had none. Asked for the Jim Beam Single Barrel, same response. Settled for Woodford Reserve but what sort of airline has no Scotch, even if it is the dreadful Dewars White Label?! (2-hour flight between 5p-7p and only "food" on offer was a banana or basket of dreadful bagged nuts or mix of inedible objects. Worst inflight experience in many years. Even UA provides a snack box in F on such flights. Really expected something better from DL after spending what I had to for this flight.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by LBJ
They used to have Glenlivet in addition to the Dewar's. But Glenlivet apparently stopped making mini's (all the airlines dropped them around the same time).
That's the line all three US majors have offered up, but it's not true. BA still has The Glenlivet minis, both a non-age-disclosed version in economy and a 15-year old in business. My solution to make Dewars drinkable is to bring a miniature of my own filled with a peaty Islay single malt, adding about a third of that bottle to each glass (mini) of Dewars. Adds a bit of character.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I actually really like the Margarita! I have that on the ground in the afternoons and wine once in the air. Bloody Marys in the morning, but not too many as there is so much sodium in that mix!
Is the Margarita still around? I don't fly a huge amount, especially up front, but I thought on my last flight I didn't see it listed. I'm not a big drinker, and about the only thing I will drink are margaritas, and was a bit disappointed that it wasn't listed.

Thought about tequila and orange juice, that might work adequately too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.