Vegas would be my guess.
+1
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by kettle1
Quote:

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Not blaming you since your just the messenger but that makes no sense. Skyclubs based on the number of free members (DM's)? I don't think so.

These were VERY Senior members of DL management (based in ATL and SLC). DL currently is flying about 57+ flights a day from LAS. They stated to me over the past few years that DL looks at these things. They told me (in a very nice way) that the rent in LAS is too high and there are many leisure travelers.

They said building a new SC is based on the amount of DM's in a city and the rent. I told them that thousands of DM's visit LAS for conventions every year. They came back and said that DL bases it on who is lives in a city - not who visits.

It is what it is.

DL - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! The World does not revolve around ATL, unless you die - and need transported.

UA has a Club in LAS.

With AM EXP I get this in LAS:

If you can access Centurion forget about the SC. It's like having free caviar available and buying McDonald's.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
If you can access Centurion forget about the SC. It's like having free caviar available and buying McDonald's.
I agree 100%. I love it! DL chose not to build a SC, American Express stepped in! It is a LAS jackpot for me! The staff are great as well. ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:26 am

As many of us remember, DL used to have a Crown Room at many of the airports listed. Some of these were fully staffed, others were self service. LAS and especially MCI had great fully staffed rooms. LAS was closed long ago and reopened as an America West Lounge. MCI was closed more recently and as noted is now a restaurant, although I'm surprised that it's a Royals theme rather than Chiefs. Maybe the theme will change with the season.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I got a free Centurion membership a coupe or three years ago and was in the lounge in LAS the week it opened. If I flew out of LAS or another city that had a CL I would buy a membership in a heartbeat. But, I only fly to LAS once or twice a year on average and about the same to SFO. They are definitely head and shoulders above a SC.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by LBJ
Someone on a'net recently did a DL summer seat count of eastern, central airports (although they skipped a few larger airports like BWI) -- http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6348295/

Here's a list of the top 10 without a club. AUS is fairly far down. Although it now has a bit more seats than MEM (not that it really means much these days)

CLT
STL
MCI
PIT
CMH
AUS
BDL
RIC
CLE
SAT
I'm shocked PHX is not in the top ten....
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I'm shocked PHX is not in the top ten....
Appears that they were only looking at "eastern, central airports".
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For me, getting a new SC is lower priority at airports where there are no AmEx or PP lounges, ideally near DL gates or at least within the same TSA security area.

I very much understand DL choosing to focus on business travel destinations.
But I wonder how they define "business travel destinations". LAS and surely PHX are huge business travel destinations. But especially the former, I wonder how much of that is due to conventions, and whether or not convention travel is more desirable than "normal" business travel.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
I'm a bit surprised STL is that high up. I have absolutely no data to back this up, but my feeling is that DL service out of STL has eroded over the past 2 years. This may have had something to do with turnover at station manager.

Ever since USair moved to C concourse there are a few derelict gates on A that could accommodate a small club (the jet bridges have already been taken off).

There were some rumors floating that AA was planning on closing their Admirals club (but AA being firmly the #2 carrier in STL now I doubt it will close). If that had happened, DL or UA opening a club in A might have poached some business from AA. I doubt there is enough motivation for DL to poach a few UA customers. Vice versa will not happen because UA doesn't really care about STL at all (they only fly RJs), and WN customers do not care about clubs.
A couple months ago the new STL station manager, Pedro, said he was working on getting a club opened..... but I've been hearing this since the days of Bob Carter and Hank Halter overseeing STL.

And you are correct; the total number of flights/seats out of STL has definitely eroded in the past couple years. The hope of getting BOS and/or LAX seem to be near nil at this point.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
But I wonder how they define "business travel destinations". LAS and surely PHX are huge business travel destinations. But especially the former, I wonder how much of that is due to conventions, and whether or not convention travel is more desirable than "normal" business travel.
PHX gets lots of sunbirds, which are definitely leisure.

LAS has conventions but also is a mecca for some leisure travelers.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kettle1
These were VERY Senior members of DL management (based in ATL and SLC). DL currently is flying about 57+ flights a day from LAS. They stated to me over the past few years that DL looks at these things. They told me (in a very nice way) that the rent in LAS is too high and there are many leisure travellers.
So do you think it is deliberate policy by NV state/Gaming Board etc. because they sure as hell want people spending in the terminal and using the slots - not in a club?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Flying weekly out of CLT I would love to have one, but there is no place to put one on the concourse or anywhere close that I can think of, so I do not see it happening any time soon.
I too would like Delta to open a SkyClub at CLT! I would also like to see Delta return the CLT to JFK flights, and start flights from CLT to PHL, DCA, BOS and ORD. I am hoping that Delta will move to the new terminal, with more gates and a SkyClub, that CLT is to start constructing sometime in 2015. Not sure of the completion date.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So do you think it is deliberate policy by NV state/Gaming Board etc. because they sure as hell want people spending in the terminal and using the slots - not in a club?
I suspect it is more a case of inflexible airport rent policies. I heard the same thing about PHX, that the rent was too high. So that space has been vacant now for what, 4+ years? If you owned that property you probably would have cut a deal with DL to get some revenue. Airports argue that the rents charged are the same for everyone, and if they cut DL a deal other lessees will want similar treatment.

Same thing in MCO. They had a nice "porch" room in that SC but walled it off some years ago. They told me they pay rent based on sq ft used. So they walled it off, and as far as I know there is no way to get into that space now, for anyone. But DL's rent went down since sq ft decreased.

Last edited by DLdweeb; Mar 31, 2015 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by koreanair720
By that standard you'd also have to throw in LHR, CDG, AMS etc. -- they only have partner lounges. Is NRT the only true SkyClub located overseas?
There's only an Admiral's Club just inside security. I guess I'd change the criteria to "busy DL stations (domestic and int'l) that have no lounge options for us."
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I too am surprised that there is no club at LAS with 57 flights a day. They must big time leisure flyers going through the airport instead of Plats and Diamonds.

With UA having a club at LAS it's a little different. sUA has for a long time had a club there and were able to keep it when they transitioned to the new gates. Also UA still has an F/A base in LAS -- not that it's a factor in keeping the club but it is one of UA largest stations.

How about smallest club for the most flights (square footage wise?) I feel like EWR with the "Sky Closet" and having 3 daily Euro flights to LHR, CDG, AMS would take the cake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.