Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busiest DL station w/o a SkyClub?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Someone on a'net recently did a DL summer seat count of eastern, central airports (although they skipped a few larger airports like BWI) -- http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6348295/

Here's a list of the top 10 without a club. AUS is fairly far down. Although it now has a bit more seats than MEM (not that it really means much these days)

CLT
STL
MCI
PIT
CMH
AUS
BDL
RIC
CLE
SAT
I'm a bit surprised STL is that high up. I have absolutely no data to back this up, but my feeling is that DL service out of STL has eroded over the past 2 years. This may have had something to do with turnover at station manager.

Ever since USair moved to C concourse there are a few derelict gates on A that could accommodate a small club (the jet bridges have already been taken off).

There were some rumors floating that AA was planning on closing their Admirals club (but AA being firmly the #2 carrier in STL now I doubt it will close). If that had happened, DL or UA opening a club in A might have poached some business from AA. I doubt there is enough motivation for DL to poach a few UA customers. Vice versa will not happen because UA doesn't really care about STL at all (they only fly RJs), and WN customers do not care about clubs.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:54 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by koreanair720
By that standard you'd also have to throw in LHR, CDG, AMS etc. -- they only have partner lounges. Is NRT the only true SkyClub located overseas?
SCL has one.
MNL closed a few months ago.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by andymo99
SCL has one.
MNL closed a few months ago.
LHR has an arrivals lounge
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: delta dm
Cmh would get my vote plenty of room for one in the c concourse
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I have asked for years why DL does not have a SC in LAS. I was told by very Senior DL mgt that they evaluate it every few years and LAS does not have enough DM's that actually live in LAS to justify a SC. They said new clubs being built depend on the rent and how many DM's live in the city.

My vote would be LAS or PHX. Here in LAS we now have a Centurion Lounge. Thank you AM EXP! ^
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
CLT would be the one I see most glaring on my travel routes.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
I have asked for years why DL does not have a SC in LAS. I was told by very Senior DL mgt that they evaluate it every few years and LAS does not have enough DM's that actually live in LAS to justify a SC. They said new clubs being built depend on the rent and how many DM's live in the city.

My vote would be LAS or PHX. Here in LAS we now have a Centurion Lounge. Thank you AM EXP! ^
Not blaming you since your just the messenger but that makes no sense. Skyclubs based on the number of free members (DM's)? I don't think so.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
CLT would be the one I see most glaring on my travel routes.
Flying weekly out of CLT I would love to have one, but there is no place to put one on the concourse or anywhere close that I can think of, so I do not see it happening any time soon.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've always thought it was odd that PNS doesn't have a club. God knows every time I've been there the flights and upgrade lists are packed. Delta is king in FL and has the most clubs and service of any airline.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
I don't know if AA is going to relocate out of Concourse A at CLT when the US/AA merger is finalized. If they do, however, that would free up a lot of space for DL to reconfigure its gates at CLT and possibly build a SC.

Right now, DL has gates A1, A3, A5, and A7, all arranged in a line on the north side of the concourse. UA/AC has gate A2. If DL were to trade A7 for A2, or A1-A5 for the AA gates at the end of A, there could be some room gained.

Or maybe DL is just waiting on CLT to build the addition to A (the future international terminal). That's several years out though.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
I don't know if AA is going to relocate out of Concourse A at CLT when the US/AA merger is finalized. If they do, however, that would free up a lot of space for DL to reconfigure its gates at CLT and possibly build a SC.

Right now, DL has gates A1, A3, A5, and A7, all arranged in a line on the north side of the concourse. UA/AC has gate A2. If DL were to trade A7 for A2, or A1-A5 for the AA gates at the end of A, there could be some room gained.

Or maybe DL is just waiting on CLT to build the addition to A (the future international terminal). That's several years out though.
I agree that could free up space but I don't think the airport authority is going to agree to convert the AA gates to a club and give up the revenue those gates represent.

On the subject of DEN, I was told that if and when DL moves gates they plan on building a club. Given I was told this by a gate agent I took the comment with a couple of grains of salt.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
This is what I was thinking / hoping too.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sez_Who

A SC is not 'unnecessary' because not everyone has access to Centurion, at least not for free.

+1.

Why bother buying airline club memberships at all if the attitude is "well, there's an Amex club there so why should the airline have one".

Maybe Hong Konger thinks that we are all getting our SC memberships for free (some of us ham sammiches still buy them - gasp!)
Or, I could have been joking and commenting on the relative desirability of the Centurion Lounge vs SC, fully understanding that many people who have access to the SC don't have access to the Centurion Lounge. It ruins jokes when you have to explain them.

Last edited by HongKonger; Mar 30, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Not blaming you since your just the messenger but that makes no sense. Skyclubs based on the number of free members (DM's)? I don't think so.
These were VERY Senior members of DL management (based in ATL and SLC). DL currently is flying about 57+ flights a day from LAS. They stated to me over the past few years that DL looks at these things. They told me (in a very nice way) that the rent in LAS is too high and there are many leisure travelers.

They said building a new SC is based on the amount of DM's in a city and the rent. I told them that thousands of DM's visit LAS for conventions every year. They came back and said that DL bases it on who is lives in a city - not who visits.

It is what it is.

DL - THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! The World does not revolve around ATL, unless you die - and need transported.

UA has a Club in LAS.

With AM EXP I get this in LAS:

Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For me, getting a new SC is lower priority at airports where there are no AmEx or PP lounges, ideally near DL gates or at least within the same TSA security area.

I very much understand DL choosing to focus on business travel destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.