Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL hardly acknowledging silver medallion anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL hardly acknowledging silver medallion anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
^
THIS!

((on board, or anywhere else...it is hardly an accomplishment))
Ride carefully. It would be a mighty long fall from your high horse.

Why don't you just tell the board to get rid of silver at your next shareholder meeting? I bet Delta saved a good $500 not sending out silver medallion cards this year. You be sure to high five them on that.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Of course it might also reflect a formerly valuable customer who now directs business elsewhere. None of us here are the experts on whether Delta wants or needs to get that former business back, but turning silver into dirt doesn't exactly help with that if it is in fact important to their business.
BTW, "accomplishment" heh heh, nice one. Anyone who thinks flying lots of miles is an accomplishment is warped.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
^
THIS!

((on board, or anywhere else...it is hardly an accomplishment))
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
Of course it might also reflect a formerly valuable customer who now directs business elsewhere. None of us here are the experts on whether Delta wants or needs to get that former business back, but turning silver into dirt doesn't exactly help with that if it is in fact important to their business.
BTW, "accomplishment" heh heh, nice one. Anyone who thinks flying lots of miles is an accomplishment is warped.
I spent 280k miles last year developing chronic DVTs in my legs

I consider that an accomplishment
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Anudoric
FOs also get priority telephone ticketing assistance over general SM members, complimentary upgrades on many low-traffic routes, Zone 1 boarding, free preferred seats at D-24 hours, and other secondary benefits.
/bolding mine/

No, they don't. See this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24504015-post22.html
So... Today almost all benefits you can get through $95/year amex. Except maybe exit rows. Other than that - extra miles are not that huge with 25k flying (I mean $3k spending), and EC at T-24 isn't a big deal because of, again, only 25k. Plus, mostly it'd be nothing or middle seat at T-24 on popular routes.

So, mostly I agree - being a FO isn't something that special.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't think Delta can just get rid of Silver Medallion unless they want to start giving GM to million milers.
Excellent point.
They would also not want to give CC holders GM status as that implies ST Elite+ benefits which includes lounge access for international travel
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:34 am

To those who claims 25,000 miles a year is nothing, you need to consider other markets outside of US or Europe where flying is not a norm. In the Asia markets, to fly 25,000 miles a year is not something to scoff at and typically can only be achieved if long haul international travel is involved. NA and Europe airlines who hopes to grow their market share in Asia (hence develop their overall network) are fortunately still sensitive to that.

My sense is that this is also why the MQD requirements are waived for non-US based customers. Since it is proven they could award Miles based on spent, the only other reason why MQD is not required is probably that they do not want to alienate the Asian market.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Excellent point.
They would also not want to give CC holders GM status as that implies ST Elite+ benefits which includes lounge access for international travel
Why not? Gold is the new Silver anyway....

They can sell it as an 'enhancement'
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
im sorry but 25k miles or 30 flights a year is hardly "frequent flyer" material
Relative to what? To the general public, it certainly is. (Only about 1/3 of Americans fly at all in any given year!) To some of the nut jobs on here, sure.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
One could fly 49,999 miles or 59 segments and remain FO.
Last year I had almost 40 segments which in today's flying "climate" was more than enough for me. Preferred seats and C+ are the only reasons I try to maintain FO. A very small token from DL for low value customers.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Not hearing a welcome message is not the end of the day. However you can still score an upgrade if you select an off peak flight on the right route which to me is a nice benefit and also the Comfort + seats at the 24 hour mark. IMHO, those two are the major perks for an FO. @:-)

As a gold I basically never get upgrades -- typically below 10 on the upgrade list, often below 30. It is hard to imagine that silver would ever get upgraded, even on off-peak routes.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Get over it. DL is not rewarding anyone's flying or, for that matter, rewarding anyfor anything. SMs is a marketing tool with limited resources. You cannot UG everyone on the plane. If you give certain benefits to everyone they become less desirable. For example, if FO boarded with SP+, PMs and GMs would get crowded out of earlier boarding.

DL has made a decision how to allocate the limited resources. In many cases, DL has determined they can maximize the effectiveness of the marketing tool by limiting certain benefits to DM and/or PM and/or GM. It's obviously more cost effective and has a better impact on the bottom line if FOs are not included in certain benefits. Either accept what is being offered or move to a different airline.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snark
As a gold I basically never get upgrades -- typically below 10 on the upgrade list, often below 30. It is hard to imagine that silver would ever get upgraded, even on off-peak routes.
AS Elites have reported getting upgraded on DL a number of times on the inter-west flights out of the LAX and SEA hubs. Also reports of FC seats going empty. If AS elites are getting upgraded on these routes, it's a safe bet that so are Silver Medallions as they are higher in the upgrade priority. Yes, upgrades are much more difficult out of the eastern hubs where there are large DL FF bases, but it's not quite universally true that upgrades are difficult everywhere.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:06 am

I'm silver and I get more upgrades than I would have expected. I typically fly to smaller regions from ATL and on the way out, I'm way down the list and the flight's usually oversold. But on the way back, I have a decent shot. My last 2 trips this month I was upgraded on the way back and it was done before I ever even got to the airport. I just see it on the app.

But my brother is a DM and since he's a consultant, he's on the consultant heavy routes and he's usually 20th or 30th on the list. So I think it is route dependent; but if you're silver, you're probably not going to get upgraded on any route where people would actually go to voluntarily. Although I did get upgraded once from PBI to ATL.

Originally Posted by snark
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:34 am

Im sliver medallion. Delta acknowledges me well. More then 50%+ of the time I'm upgraded to first class.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
As a former FO, I know well that the benefits don't go much beyond those of amex cardholders. But, I was surprised by what I heard on my recent flight. During the FA welcome message, I'm used to hearing "we extend a special welcome to our medallion members" and this last time it was "we extend a special welcome to our diamond, platinum, and gold medallion members."

I see this as further evidence that DM is the new PM, PM is the new GM, GM is the new FO, and FO isn't even really a thing anymore.

I know that one FA greeting is obviously not a definitive sign of change, but I found this sadly hilarious in the face of all of the recent changes.
Devalued to the point that DL should simply eliminate the distinction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.