Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why are there no monitors at all the DL gates at DTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton

Even though I fly extensively, it has been almost 20 years since I flew in and out of DTW. My initial observations were extremely positive. Great layout DL has there.

The question I have, (unless I missed them), is why are their no monitors at all the DL gates to let you know your flight/upgrade status? I was kind of surprised when I did not see any.

I was flying out of gate A31, and did not see one there. Did I just miss seeing it? Maybe the eyes aren't what they used to be.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 30, 2015 at 7:43 am Reason: I clarified the title
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
The question I have, (unless I missed them), is why are their no monitors at all the DL gates to let you know your flight/upgrade status? I was kind of surprised when I did not see any.

I was flying out of gate A31, and did not see one there. Did I just miss seeing it? Maybe the eyes aren't what they used to be.
I don't recall gate A31 specifically as of late, but yes, there are multi-function monitors that cycle through flight data such as standby list and upgrade list.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
There are some gates at DTW where the GIDS is on a pillar and actually faces the gate desk, so you might have missed it. The other possibility, sometimes the GIDS screens are on CNN when there is no flight active and then they are never switched over. This is also possible, despite the fact that I'm sure all the nervous flyers of the world had no interest in watching CNN's coverage today.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
OK...yes, I did see CNN. That explains it. I was there on Tuesday (before the sad news happened). You are correct, CNN was on monitors all over the place, and they must have forgot to switch it off at A31 during flight time. Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:15 am

Even though I fly extensively, it has been almost 20 years since I flew in and out of DTW. My initial observations were extremely positive. Great layout DL has there.

If you don't mind me asking, as a 2MM'er, how have you not flown through DTW in 20 years?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:25 am

Every nonstop from DTW is also available nonstop from ATL. (Almost true; the major exception is China.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
Every nonstop from DTW is also available nonstop from ATL. (Almost true; the major exception is China.)
There are a number of US markets that get DTW service, but not ATL. Granted, they are all pretty small markets and a few also have service to NYC or MSP in addition to DTW. Off the top of my head -- YOW, BGR, SWF, ABE, MDT, BGM, ELM, ITH, ERI, UNV, APN, PLN, TVC, CIU, SAW, ESC, LAN, AZO, CWA, RST (ending soon). Probably another half dozen plus markets have been dropped since the merger. So, yeah, not too hard to avoid DTW if you are ATL based.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2015 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
If you don't mind me asking, as a 2MM'er, how have you not flown through DTW in 20 years?
Fair question. The above posters had it correct. Being now Atlanta based, I basically fly non-stop everywhere. The few cities that are served from DTW and not ATL, I have had no reason to go to.

The last time I changed planes flying out of ATL was actually last summer. Had to go to Redmond, Oregon, and changed in SLC. I can't remember the last time I had to change planes before that.

For whatever reason, Detroit has not been a city I have had to go to for, (like I said), 20+ years. But this past week, I was there, and was very impressed with the DL terminal. I know it was built under the NW banner, but whoever actually designed it did a very good job.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
But this past week, I was there, and was very impressed with the DL terminal. I know it was built under the NW banner, but whoever actually designed it did a very good job.
Yes, very well designed and usable, even if you are transferring to the B/C gates through the tunnel.
And for me the SkyClubs at the ends of A and in B/C are among the better in the system for comfort at least. The center club is usually too crowded for my taste,
Just wish there was better food there, although I guess there have been some recent changes.
And if you were last there 20 years ago, certainly an improvement over the old NW terminal, all of which, I think is demolished now.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Humble Silver, Amex plat, Hilton Hhonors Gold,Elite Exec National
Transfer time?

We have been given a transfer time of 1 hour 20 minutes in DTW. Arriving from AMS (so have to go through immigration), then flying DTW-RSW. It seems a very tight schedule to me. We have no experience of DTW and any advice on a speedy transit would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinkies
We have been given a transfer time of 1 hour 20 minutes in DTW. Arriving from AMS (so have to go through immigration), then flying DTW-RSW. It seems a very tight schedule to me. We have no experience of DTW and any advice on a speedy transit would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
According to figures from Customs/Border Control, the average wait time for DTW almost never exceeds 30 minutes. Flights to RSW are usually all mainline aircraft and thus leave from Concourse A. So shouldn't be a problem.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold

Thanks for your time.
Shouldn't have any issues assuming no mobility issues. I have made transfers to Concourse B/C in that time coming in off flights from AMS, though I never check bags and have Global Entry so my case might not generalize well. Anyway, best of luck!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
DTW a is slowly becoming CVG, RJ at mainland docks!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
There's probably a "DTW Transit" thread around here somewhere, but if you're connecting to the last flight of the day I'd worry. (I've had some pretty slow international arrivals through DTW prior to Global Entry.) If you're not, then worst case you end up on the next available flight.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guessing they are on the 1:40PM flight to RSW. There's another one at 5:40PM, plus a couple other flights they could connect to out of ATL. Probably not worth stressing over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.