Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta policy for FA entering cockpit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Does it matter if 2 are in the cockpit? A psychopath is going to incapacitate whoever is with him or her. Might be easier for a male flight crew member to overpower a female FA...
The intent isn't to guard against a psychopath, it's in case the pilot has a heart attack. The FA can let the other pilot back in.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On the RJs with one FA, if one pilot is in the lavatory and the FA would be in the cockpit, shouldn't there be a crew member in the cabin with the passengers?
Yeah the pilot who is in the lav. No different than if the FA went into the lav during the flight.

A couple of comments from listening to the interview with the CEO of Lufthansa.

There is a code that can be entered from the outside to unlock the door. However, it is a timed process. That is once the code is entered, the door does not immediately unlock, but starts a timer. If after 30 seconds there is no cancel signal the door unlocks. The person in the cockpit can actively cancel the unlock request.

There is also a full deactivate - that is regardless if a code is entered the door will not unlock.

It is my understanding that the co-pilot did the latter.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 27, 2015 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Unfortunately, it's hard to completely error/idiot proof something for someone who is hellbent on committing suicide. Having two peeps in the flight deck at all times is a good start. Yes, one pilot could incapacitate the other or the FA, but the odds of that are extremely low compared to the risk of leaving a pilot alone. And if the FA is near the door, she could simply open it and yell for help.

Originally Posted by kettle1
I have seen it done on DL and UA (not every flt), but not sure it is policy. It should be if it is not. It also should be a requirement that ALL airlines provide real time transmissions from the AC to Company HQ with all the data the "black boxes" contain.
Why? What good does does collecting telemetry data do? Lots of useless data that's extremely expensive (satellite bandwidth is really expensive) to collect and maintain. Most Aircraft report in (position, winds, altitude, attitude, heading, etc.) every few seconds via ACARS anyway. ADS-B equipped aircraft report position data many times per second. I think all European carriers have their aircraft ADS-B equipped. Here in the U.S. that's not always the case. Newer aircraft and aircraft that are used TATL/TPAC have ADS-B, but much of the domestic fleet does not. Websites like flightradar24.com use the ADS-B data (among other sources) to plot aircraft.

Even if they had the telemetry data real time, it wouldn't stop a determined pilot from putting it in the ground.

Originally Posted by kettle1
If airlines can provide wi-fi to PX why could this info not be transmitted to the Company?
See above.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward
It is supposed to be able to withstand gunfire and grenade explosions so I would consider them "impenetrable" in most sense.
CNN had a nice segment regarding how strong these doors are, and essentially just like some of you have mentioned, they are impenetrable and probably one of the strongest part of an aircraft. I really didn't pay too much attention to how the door was designed until now.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
CNN had a nice segment regarding how strong these doors are, and essentially just like some of you have mentioned, they are impenetrable and probably one of the strongest part of an aircraft. I really didn't pay too much attention to how the door was designed until now.
This incident has made me wonder how strong the bulkhead is between the cockpit and the forward lav on aircraft that have the lav up against the cockpit bulkhead.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Sadly, I expect many more of these incidents in the future. On my Cebu Pacific flight yesterday - the FA did replace the pilot but... The FA - who makes maybe $500 a month, is in great shape and 23 years old, male, could easily overpower the aged pilot. If an FA is ok - why not a DM or PM? We've now placed the fate of everyone on board onto a 23 year old. These things have a way of trending - intentional acts will be the no.1 cause of flight disater until they unlock the door for good. After 9-11 - 57 people will rush that cockpit in .2 micro seconds. It's a different world now. Unlock the door.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
[QUOTE=HDQDD;24573455]Unfortunately, it's hard to completely error/idiot proof something for someone who is hellbent on committing suicide. Having two peeps in the flight deck at all times is a good start. Yes, one pilot could incapacitate the other or the FA, but the odds of that are extremely low compared to the risk of leaving a pilot alone. And if the FA is near the door, she could simply open it and yell for help. [quote]
--------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering that myself. I'm certainly not against another set of eyes in the cockpit, but what could a FA do if a pilot snaps and starts some crazy maneuver ? What next, a FAM in every cockpit or maybe go back to a three man crew adding another pilot/navigator ? Costly to say the least but obviously the cost of lives is much greater.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
--------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering that myself. I'm certainly not against another set of eyes in the cockpit, but what could a FA do if a pilot snaps and starts some crazy maneuver ? What next, a FAM in every cockpit or maybe go back to a three man crew adding another pilot/navigator ? Costly to say the least but obviously the cost of lives is much greater.
I thought most pilots carried guns now? Seriously.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I thought most pilots carried guns now? Seriously.
Some do, but I believe far from most.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I thought most pilots carried guns now? Seriously
Agree with sethb, but I would also add that a gun in this situation is nearly worthlesss and can even be a liability.

The pilot is flying the plane, and presumably would have no warning of the others impending attack. The pilots hands would be further from the gun than the hands oif the attacker, add in reaction time ...

Virtuall nobody can kill quickly with their hands. In such a fight, an overpowered pilot might be best off trying to hit alarms and.or door unlocks (I assume they have some such panic biutton). If instead they need to protect against a grab by the attacker for their own gun, they could not do such,
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Costly to say the least but obviously the cost of lives is much greater.
This is not obvious, and probably not correct.

ROI of three crew on every flight is probably less than the benefit of preventing incidents such as the Germanwings one. Distasteful as it may seem, there is an actuarial cost of human life.

Guns in the cockpit add no benefit - that was a really stupid reactionary move post 911. So far the net action has been holing one US plane.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Agree with sethb, but I would also add that a gun in this situation is nearly worthlesss and can even be a liability.

The pilot is flying the plane, and presumably would have no warning of the others impending attack. The pilots hands would be further from the gun than the hands oif the attacker, add in reaction time ...

Virtuall nobody can kill quickly with their hands. In such a fight, an overpowered pilot might be best off trying to hit alarms and.or door unlocks (I assume they have some such panic biutton). If instead they need to protect against a grab by the attacker for their own gun, they could not do such,
Do you frequently carry a gun or have been trained in Combat Pistol? Your statements sound very ignorant.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:45 pm

I'm on a DL flight right now where the FA opened one of the closet doors while a pilot came out to use the head and then did the same when the pilot traded with a FA. I don't have a problem with this!
Old May 5, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
An Egypt Air pilot easily managed to crash a plane with the other pilot still in the cockpit. Having a flight attendant in the cockpit does nothing to prevent a German Wings type event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.