Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Complaint Attachments: Fake?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, UA 1K, SPG Gold
Skymiles Complaint Attachments: Fake?

I wrote a complaint to Skymiles using the Comment/Complaint button at the top-right of the website, describing the hours wasted on the phone and being passed around multiple desks only to find that my Saver-level business class flights on KE were unbookable.

I used the button to attach my screenshot, but noticed something interesting about the confirmation message.

Aside from my complaint, it showed "Success: C:\fakepath\filename.jpg was succesfully uploaded" (emphasis mine)

Has anyone else noticed this? Is the attachment button just BS? To be clear, I do not have a folder named "fakepath" on my C drive.

If this happens to be fake, well, then talk about adding insult to injury...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It's a browser security feature.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA DL
feature in HTML5 i believe
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
It's all FAKEPATHs and ballbearings these days...

BTW, I saw that too and have no idea if more than one pic uploaded. I tried to upload a few pics.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Hopefully it is an actual, useful security feature
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by javabytes
It's a browser security feature.
Yup.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-...e-website-fix/

David
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Noticed the same thing recently when I sent a complaint to DL.com along with a screenshot of my SkyMiles account. My response from DL contained my screenshot, confirming for me it had sent properly.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Just thinking out loud here, but it seems they could have used a different word to display... Starting with the softeware people and the Delta people who decided to use this feature. I don't know much about code, but I know when I push my IT people hard enough to the point where their eyes start moving fast and they make nervous laugh like noises, things that were impossible 5 minutes before can all of a sudden be done.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The article DiverDave posted has it right.

To elaborate, "C:\fakepath\" is actually inserted by your browser, as required by the HTML 5 specification. It's to prevent a web page from learning things about your computer it shouldn't know. For example, if you logged into your computer with your employee ID number, a web page might get "c:\users\Employee123456789\documents\screenshot.j pg" as the path and be able to determine the ID number. By changing it to "c:\fakepath\screenshot.jpg", your browser hides that potentially sensitive information from a web page that doesn't need it.

Why c:\fakepath? Well, someone used it years ago, probably to avoid breaking existing web pages when making things more secure that expected to find a full path, and it caught on. Maybe fakepath wasn't the clearest choice of wording, but it's both descriptive and less than the 8 character DOS path limit. In any case, everyone has agreed on it at this point, so it's unlikely to change.

From Delta's side, to be clearer, they should probably either hide the filename and simply show a generic message ("1 attachment added"), or they should only show the filename ("filename.jpg added").

But there's no harm here being done by seeing this message, and you can rest assured that everything is working as designed.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again

For all the press about Delta's expanded list of partners airlines available for online awards, is it too much that they also stop booking phantom availability? In my eyes, that's almost worse than not being able to book online, but at least the availability was there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.