Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Boarding Lanes Test at ATL Gate B7 Today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM Hyatt Diamond Marriott Gold EmeraldClubExec

This was a new one to me - DL was testing roped off boarding lanes at ATL gate B7 today. Premium, Sky, and Zone 1 had designated areas to line up prior to boarding. They had reconfigured the seating and put these lanes perpendicular to the jetway, close to the wall. Big signs and arrows identifying the lanes. There was also a pre-board staging area where the SkyPriority/General Boarding sign used to be.

The GA did a good job of letting people know what was going on and the process seemed to be working. I know other airlines do (or have done) this program and it seems like it could ease some of the gate lice and zone crashing problems.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The southwestization of DL.........Not a good thing.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You prefer the standard clusterf$%* that Delta calls a boarding process? I don't like SW either, but even a crappy company can have some good features.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
UA does this at some (all?) airports. Seems to actually work well as the gate lane and counter area remain clear while people wait in their designated line.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Southwest organizes the lice. Delta has Free Range Lice.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:08 pm

At a lot of the gates it seems like the priority boarding area easily gets blocked up by the scrum of unclean masses. The three feet of rope at the beginning of the line doesn't do much to help things.

If it was up to me all the mainline planes would have a full door at 2L and a separate jet way for F. Obviously that's not economically feasible for DL.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well, In this case I'd say it's a good thing. I flew southwest for the first time a month or so ago and while I wasn't a huge fan of a lot of things, the boarding was a lot smoother. This may not be the best option out there but the current one clearly isn't working
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I've seen this for UA. The consequence for this arrangement is the loss of additional seating in the gate area.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
I agree that the current system is awful. CVG-LAS a week ago the GA called FC, DMs AND PMs to board which resulted in about a third of the plane making a mad rush for the door. I am up for trying anything that will add a sense of order to the process.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I'm hoping this will catch on.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
A simpler solution would be to color-code the boarding passes. Blue paper = Premium, yellow = Sky, green = Zone 1. White paper for everyone else. No excuse for not knowing your zone.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A simpler solution would be to color-code the boarding passes. Blue paper = Premium, yellow = Sky, green = Zone 1. White paper for everyone else. No excuse for not knowing your zone.
And do you need to have a certain color phone if you use the e-boarding pass?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fti
And do you need to have a certain color phone if you use the e-boarding pass?
Just change the background color.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
God I hope this works...and who cares about less seating - The only people sitting know better...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
They were seemingly running another boarding test at a different gate in ATL B today. This one involved the GA keeping the general boarding lane roped off for the entire boarding process and boarding everybody through the SP lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.