Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Picture!! Delta's first 242 MTOW A330-300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picture!! Delta's first 242 MTOW A330-300

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Regardless....I actively book away from the 787 on OAL, the 737-900 on DL, and any version of the 777 on Skyteam partners. These "shining examples of technology" are slave ships in the sky. I speak with my wallet.
Does your objection have to do with cabin configuration or basic aircraft flight control system performance? Or is it based on something else?

I'll be honest, as people might have guessed by now, I'm not particularly fond of Airbus aircraft, but, given static conditions (I.e., parked at a gate and on ground power), I won't dispute that the coach and first class seating configuration of deltas A319/32X is more comfortable than the MD 8X/9X/B73X/B75X. Similarly, I won't dispute that the business cabins on the A33X are more comfortable than the B76X. I also appreciate the fact that the A33X offers a below-deck FA Crew rest, which I don't believe is available on the B76X.

My Airbus issuers aren't centered around passenger cabins and comfort. Most of that is decided by the carrier anyway. They just need to learn how to competently design aircraft that puts pilots in control and let pilots make the final decisions on flying the aircraft. An airplane is not a google car or a toy quad copter you buy at an Apple Store!
Old May 30, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I would take an 80's designed plane at 8-abreast like the A330 over the 9-abreast coach cabin on the 787. If you have taken a ride in what AA/UA/NH have done to their 787, I can't imagine you'd feel differently. The Airbus product is MUCH-more customer friendly than what is being done with the Boeing monstrosity.
You may not wish to fly Corsair then. Apparently carriers are configuring the A330 for 9 across seating in coach.

Oh, and may I present Phillipine Airlines, which is pleased to offer "Premium Economy" in a 9 abreast configuration on their A330s

Last edited by jimrpa; May 30, 2015 at 8:46 am
Old May 30, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N639DL
From Singapore...
Singapore Airlines flies to JFK, IAH, LAX, and SFO
United flies to ORD and IAD

DL has...
40 new 739s delivered so far, 60 more on order
45 A321s on order
25 A350-900s on order
25 A330-900neos on order
9 more of these new 242T A333s on order
18 787-8s coming starting in 2020

You can also expect an order in a couple of years (IMO) for the initial MD88 and older A320 replacement (I'd guess 100 planes to start off), delivery probably around 2020
I don't think any of these SIN routes are nonstop. In fact, since SQ ended their special business class only nonstop service, I don't think there are any flights between SIN (or, in fact, nearby airports such as KUL) and the USA (with the possible exception of Hawaii, but I doubt it as that would be a small leisure-oriented market).
Old May 30, 2015, 11:02 am

Regardless....I actively book away from the 787 on OAL, the 737-900 on DL, and any version of the 777 on Skyteam partners. These "shining examples of technology" are slave ships in the sky. I speak with my wallet.
I agree. Although have no yet tried the 787 so won't go out my to avoid it.

I also think that the next new sheet designs from both Boeing/Airbus will take into account that people are simply wider today than decades ago and build frames optimized at 18" at exit limit capacity.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:39 am

Upgraded FMS too

Originally Posted by rylan
Pitot tubes yes, better flight software, no.
The aircraft are also equipped with a new FMS. The Thales R1A version has numerous improvements over the FMS previously available. All Delta A330's are being retrofitted with this new and more capable FMS.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:47 am

Misinformed

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Does your objection have to do with cabin configuration or basic aircraft flight control system performance? Or is it based on something else?

I'll be honest, as people might have guessed by now, I'm not particularly fond of Airbus aircraft, but, given static conditions (I.e., parked at a gate and on ground power), I won't dispute that the coach and first class seating configuration of deltas A319/32X is more comfortable than the MD 8X/9X/B73X/B75X. Similarly, I won't dispute that the business cabins on the A33X are more comfortable than the B76X. I also appreciate the fact that the A33X offers a below-deck FA Crew rest, which I don't believe is available on the B76X.

My Airbus issuers aren't centered around passenger cabins and comfort. Most of that is decided by the carrier anyway. They just need to learn how to competently design aircraft that puts pilots in control and let pilots make the final decisions on flying the aircraft. An airplane is not a google car or a toy quad copter you buy at an Apple Store!
I have over 14,000 hours as a pilot on A320's and A330's and can tell you categorically that the pilot is ALWAYS in full control of these fine aircraft. You've likely been misinformed by the misinformed on how these aircraft work.

The flight control protections are a part of an extremely well designed and highly refined network of safety enhancements. As a case in point, if the Miracle on the Hudson flight was in any plane other than an airbus, the aircraft would have likely stalled and the outcome far less memorable. Fortunately for Sully and crew, the flight controls remained in normal law and the aircraft was prevented from stalling the aircraft even with full aft side stick.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jimrpa

My objections are around the cabin configurations. If I have to fly coach, I will not fly the products described above. If I have to fly at all, I will fly another airline to avoid DL's 737-900....it is horrible in both cabins ((last week I even flew Spirit and the BFS to avoid F in a DL 739)).

My assumption is that if the plane is permitted to fly passengers it meets safety standards. There doesn't seem to be an inordinate amount of Airbus product dropping out of the sky compared to Boeing, so I trust the flight controls and the men/women using them.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
My objections are around the cabin configurations. If I have to fly coach, I will not fly the products described above. If I have to fly at all, I will fly another airline to avoid DL's 737-900....it is horrible in both cabins ((last week I even flew Spirit and the BFS to avoid F in a DL 739)).

My assumption is that if the plane is permitted to fly passengers it meets safety standards. There doesn't seem to be an inordinate amount of Airbus product dropping out of the sky compared to Boeing, so I trust the flight controls and the men/women using them.
Spirit is really scraping the bottom. I can't imagine a worse ride; Spirit coach class seat width is 17.75 while the pitch is 28. Delta 737-900 F is 21 and 37 respectfully. Plus, I believe you cant even recline on Spirit?
Old May 31, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Jetman330
I have over 14,000 hours as a pilot on A320's and A330's and can tell you categorically that the pilot is ALWAYS in full control of these fine aircraft. You've likely been misinformed by the misinformed on how these aircraft work.

The flight control protections are a part of an extremely well designed and highly refined network of safety enhancements. As a case in point, if the Miracle on the Hudson flight was in any plane other than an airbus, the aircraft would have likely stalled and the outcome far less memorable. Fortunately for Sully and crew, the flight controls remained in normal law and the aircraft was prevented from stalling the aircraft even with full aft side stick.
They aren't - sorry. This doesn't mean that Airbus planes are inherently inferior, just that they subscribe to a design philosophy that is counter intuitive and has a knack for causing undesirable issues in times of intense stress.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669720/how-lousy-cockpit-design-crashed-an-airbus-killing-228-people

Also- not sure what idiot pilot would have stalled the "miracle on the hudson flight". I think this is simply scaremongering.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My only objection to the 737-900 in FC is the tiny lavatory. Otherwise, the mood lighting is fun and the seats seemed OK at least for fairly short flights.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Spirit is really scraping the bottom. I can't imagine a worse ride; Spirit coach class seat width is 17.75 while the pitch is 28. Delta 737-900 F is 21 and 37 respectfully. Plus, I believe you cant even recline on Spirit?
Granted, it was only a short flight from DTW-FLL, but the "Big Front Seat" was identical to the DL 757 F seat and had decent legroom (it was row 1 with a solid bulkhead, but was DEFINITELY more-generous than most of DL's bulkhead F seats). I had to pay $3 for 2 cups of coffee, but I was comfortable. I honestly hate the 737-900

Edited to add: If F was 16 in the same space as the 20 now, I wouldn't have a problem. Y is just horrible.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
As a case in point, if the Miracle on the Hudson flight was in any plane other than an airbus, the aircraft would have likely stalled and the outcome far less memorable. Fortunately for Sully and crew, the flight controls remained in normal law and the aircraft was prevented from stalling the aircraft even with full aft side stick.
At what point did Sully have pull full aft on the sidestick?

Why would any skilled airline pilot have to pull full aft except to avoid imminent ground/obstacle contact (and only when you have tons of airspeed)?
Old May 31, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
At what point did Sully have pull full aft on the sidestick?

Why would any skilled airline pilot have to pull full aft except to avoid imminent ground/obstacle contact (and only when you have tons of airspeed)?
From about 100 feet until the aircraft hit the water. The side stick was abruptly pulled to it's full aft limit and remained there until impact. The flight control system prevented the aircraft from stalling and gave the max AOA available (just below alpha max) and therefore the minimum sink. If this was a conventional aircraft without protections an aerodynamic stall would have been difficult to prevent or at the very least the AOA would not have been optimized as it was.

Last edited by Jetman330; May 31, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
They aren't - sorry. This doesn't mean that Airbus planes are inherently inferior, just that they subscribe to a design philosophy that is counter intuitive and has a knack for causing undesirable issues in times of intense stress.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1669720/how-lousy-cockpit-design-crashed-an-airbus-killing-228-people

Also- not sure what idiot pilot would have stalled the "miracle on the hudson flight". I think this is simply scaremongering.
Sorry you feel that way. I suggest you look at the accident report to see how the side stick was manipulated. I have huge respect for the crew of that Airways jet for the calm mature and difficult decisions they made however it was to a great extent the fact they were in an A320 that they were so successful.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
From about 100 feet until the aircraft hit the water. The side stick was abruptly pulled to it's full aft limit and remained there until impact. The flight control system prevented the aircraft from stalling and gave the max AOA available (just below alpha max) and therefore the minimum sink. If this was a conventional aircraft without protections an aerodynamic stall would have been difficult to prevent or at the very least the AOA would not have been optimized as it was.
Two sides to everything. Had the crew of FedEx 705 been in your 320 or 330 they would have most certainly been killed as the hijacker flew the plane into FedEx headquarters. The FO would not have been able to pull the same maneuvers in an Airbus as he did with the DC-10. You can't deny that the Airbus has gotten pilots in trouble because they put too much faith in the flight envelope protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.