Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

May I present the worst Delta FC meal of all time...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR

The dreaded "Onion Sammich" as my wife and I call it.

...and this is the second time we've got it (last time was ATL-HNL circa 2008). LGA-ATL/DL1332 dinner service: tonight's VGML (Vegetarian Non-Dairy) was none other than a cold grilled onion sandwich—no sauce, with nearly raw zucchini/squash.

Who in their right mind would think this something ANYONE would crave? That's like 3 huge slices of cold onion, too. Our lead FA took it upon himself to toss the sammies in the oven after we poked at it for a minute, but we just couldn't do it...

GROSS. Another Woodford, please.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I've had this dreaded sandwich several times at dinner or lunch time, when ordering vegetarian. I tried to order Asian vegetarian to avoid it but that did not work. Sandwich came back :-(
In the surveys they sent after each flight, I always mentioned how gross that sandwich is. Hoping at some point, there will be some changes.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This is worth escalating to management. Please complain and send the picture. It's really not OK.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I've had this dreaded sandwich several times at dinner or lunch time, when ordering vegetarian. I tried to order Asian vegetarian to avoid it but that did not work. Sandwich came back :-(
In the surveys they sent after each flight, I always mentioned how gross that sandwich is. Hoping at some point, there will be some changes.
If you want your comments read and possibly your opinion heard please do not put it in the email survey after the flight.
Nobody reads those comments. The scores are scanned automatically.

You must report anything good/ compliments or bad/ complaints via Contact Delta at the Delta.com website.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
What's the yellow thing under the onions? Since non-dairy, it can't be cheese. Actually, I do like onion sandwiches on occasion, but then again, not being a vegetarian, I get to eat real food.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why wouldn't they just serve a salad for that type of meal request?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Not surprised. Unless you're on a 1500+ mile domestic FC, can't really expect much in terms of decent quality. The same applies to UA and AA as well, and while AA's domestic FC service was actually good (better than DL meal-wise), it has taken a considerable dive after the US Airways combination.

My advice, get to the airport 15 mins earlier than planned - grab a bite to eat and don't be surprised at the substandard domestic FC meals. DL's policies the last few years have indicated that we should be grateful for even getting an onion slice.

And I agree, that looks disgusting.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:10 pm

That looks a lot like the vegetarian breakfast Delta served me on CMH-LAX some weeks ago ... Minus the bun, and add some half raw grilled potato chunks to go with the half raw squash. Netted me 7,500 points after I pointed out to Delta that potatoes are best served fully cooked...

Mine was not supposed to be dairy free, but more often than not, the VLML (Lacto Ovo), Asian vegetarian, and VGML are one and the same.

Could be worse though. Some years back on a flight to Australia, Continental served me brown rice and cold tofu, no sauce (or flavor), for dinner ... And then the exact same meal for breakfast.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is worth escalating to management. Please complain and send the picture. It's really not OK.
Done! We figured the first time we got this thing it was a fluke. The horror to see it again... DL got the photo, too.

Originally Posted by relangford
What's the yellow thing under the onions? Since non-dairy, it can't be cheese.
It's a long, thin slice of cold, spongey squash.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:18 am

It's a sandwich with three types of vegetables, a side of mixed vegetables, and a side of mixed fruit. Seems like a decent variety.

I think there is a patty of beef and a slice of cheese missing, but when you limit your choices to vegetable-non-dairy, you aren't giving DL a lot to work with.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
I think there is a patty of beef and a slice of cheese missing, but when you limit your choices to vegetable-non-dairy, you aren't giving DL a lot to work with.
Nah, that's just lazy. Believe it or not, I've had great (in terms of airplane food) VGML meals. This is lazy, cold and disgusting.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I got that once when I ordered a low sodium meal. I haven't ordered one since then.

David
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Horrible meal, but at least DL still attempts to accommodate special meal requests in FC for domestic flights...

COdbaUA gave up on that post merger...
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:07 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I ordered a hamburger that cow from a cow that wasn't slaughtered but died of natural causes. DL refused to accomodate my special needs.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dd1612
If you want your comments read and possibly your opinion heard please do not put it in the email survey after the flight.
Nobody reads those comments. The scores are scanned automatically.
I have had Delta reply to my comments from a survey response, so based on my personal experience I don't believe this statement is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.