Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
MD-88 N909DL

The aircraft was expected to next operate DL1685 LGA-MCO, and that flight still shows "on time" for 11:45 on delta.com.
The eight minute patch job. The plane will be fine...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:37 am

According to fly.faa.gov, the airport (LGA) is closed until 6:59pm EST tonight. That could always be changed of course.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by krentzie
Interesting as I never ever recall landing on Runway 13 there.
Runway 13 operations are usually for take-offs only. I can't imagine why it was landing in that direction. I park at nearby Citifield, and the wind was coming in the direction that would have prompted landings on 31 (opposite direction on that runway) or 4.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Here's an up-close video that gives you a pretty good look at the plane's condition. Hard to say if there's damage, but nothing is obvious.

(Warning, slightly salty language):
https://instagram.com/p/z2kcdEiNtE/

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
From National ATC site

Due to AIRCRAFT INCIDENT, the La Guardia Airport (LGA) was closed as of Mar 05 at 11:09 AM EST. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Mar 05 at 06:59 PM EST.

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
According to fly.faa.gov, the airport (LGA) is closed until 6:59pm EST tonight. That could always be changed of course.
Great...I'm scheduled to fly on the 3pm from MSP-LGA.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
Not a great day to be flying to NYC. EWR & JFK have some serious inbound ground delay programs also.

EWR: Average arrival delayed 3 hours 7 minutes
JFK: Average arrival delayed 3 hours 8 minutes

...there's always a chance they'll clean up LGA faster than the time they are quoting.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Would you want to??
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:49 am

CNN reporting most flights before 7pm are cancelled.

All inbound flights in the air are being diverted to other airports as LGA is accepting no planes.

They said it could take longer as jet fuel has leaked onto the runway and surrounding areas.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:50 am

www.instagram.com/p/z2kcdEiNtE

Looks like a wing is missing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:51 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Originally Posted by ktremor
CNN reporting most flights before 7pm are cancelled.

All inbound flights in the air are being diverted to other airports as LGA is accepting no planes.

They said it could take longer as jet fuel has leaked onto the runway and surrounding areas.
Delta hasn't updated anything yet, flight still says on time. Although I think we're all pretty sure that won't happen.

I have a work meeting in NYC tomorrow so it would be nice to be able to get there tonight.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
The next two aircraft lined up for runway 13 were DL1999 (DTW-LGA) which was made to go around on short final, and DL2522 (TPA-LGA) which was also sent around on long final. Both diverted to BDL and landed safely.

On tower frequency first responders reported a ruptured left wing and aircraft leaking fuel heavily. It will not be a quick fix. Glad everyone is okay and there was no fire.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Begins at the 3:20 mark.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kl...2015-1600Z.mp3
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Very glad that everyone on board and on the ground seems to be okay.

But, good lord. CNN, that bastion of reporting integrity, is stressing, based off a single, very far away still photo, that the rear landing gear failed or broke off. Followed by commentary about cancelled flights and a tone hinting at why wasn't this flight cancelled, too?

Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
The next two aircraft lined up for runway 13 were DL1999 (DTW-LGA) which was made to go around on short final, and DL2522 (TPA-LGA) which was also sent around on long final. Both diverted to BDL and landed safely.

On tower frequency first responders reported a ruptured left wing and aircraft leaking fuel heavily. It will not be a quick fix. Glad everyone is okay and there was no fire.
I'm pretty sure these planes have nose wheels normally too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.