Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Vacations and Comfort+

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Delta Vacations and Comfort+

Does anyone know if my PM benefits pertaining to choosing preferred/Comfort+ seating will extend to a ticket purchased through Delta Vacations? I'm trying to book some last minute tickets and the price is MUCH better, even with the car added.

Will I be able to login to Delta and change seats around as needed? We're booking 5 tickets close-in and its going to take some effort, a watchful eye, and quick fingers to get them all together.

Any downside to DV? I believe Medallion upgrades still work the same as a regular Delta ticket, correct?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
should be yes, unless the booking class of your ticket is E.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Diannap
Does anyone know if my PM benefits pertaining to choosing preferred/Comfort+ seating will extend to a ticket purchased through Delta Vacations? I'm trying to book some last minute tickets and the price is MUCH better, even with the car added.

Will I be able to login to Delta and change seats around as needed? We're booking 5 tickets close-in and its going to take some effort, a watchful eye, and quick fingers to get them all together.

Any downside to DV? I believe Medallion upgrades still work the same as a regular Delta ticket, correct?
There were reports in 2014 that some DV packages were booking onto consolidator fares, which destroys MQM -- if you care about that.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was also a discussion about RDM earnings from DV plane tickets under the 2015 scheme, but I don't remember the conclusion.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: Delta DM
Went through Delta Vacations last year for a trip to Punta Cana and were able to get preferred seats for myself and GF (I was an FO at the time). I even got upgraded on the flights to and from PUJ, which I thought wasn't doable if you book through DLVAC. Booked another trip this year for the two of us and I have us both in EC+ for all 4 flights (I'm a PM now). We'll see if the upgrades work again this year though.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Yep, it works.

Thanks all. I made the reservation via Delta Vacations and was able to choose either Comfort+ or Preferred about 20 minutes later.

MSP-LAX-HNL-LAX-MSP was about $1400 on Delta.com. $1000 on DV...a big savings when buying 3 tickets. The other 2 tix I purchased with miles via a Delta agent. The DV flights booked into L & V fare classes and I can even use our upgrade certs (but that would mean leaving the kids behind in coach, which probably wouldn't be nice.)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The main issue with DV is that you will not get any MQD credit, and reduced mile earning... see here:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
The main issue with DV is that you will not get any MQD credit, and reduced mile earning... see here:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html
They earn full MQM's (on DL metal) and the "reduced" mileage-based RDM's may likely be better than what you earn with cheap tickets and dollar-based RDM's (particularly for longer flights). For example, on a cheap $1000 fare to places like SIN or JNB, a Diamond would earn about 22,000 RDM's with a DL vacation package, but only 11,000 RDM's on a non-DL vacations flight. Also, there are discount codes for Medallions (or least there used to be, can't find an active one right now).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:39 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, for the OP's route to HNL I'm sure he'll earn more miles over the dollar earn since it is based on distance, even with the 75%/50% for L/V classes, since he then gets an 80% bonus as a PM.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Slightly OT but didn't want to start a new thread since this is close enough. Looking at Delta Vacations it's showing a lot of flights as "Delta Comfort+" but the booking class is clearly main cabin (i.e., "V"). Wondering if I book if I'd actually get C+. Even more interesting is where the flight is operated by AF or AZ which does not have C+. Theoretically, this should be PE, but can't imagine they'd honor that. Anyone have experience with this?

Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My *guess* is that the "from +$9" per person for V class means that the fee to purchase a C+ seat can be as low as $9, although not necessarily on this ATL-JFK flight.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NHFL9
Slightly OT but didn't want to start a new thread since this is close enough. Looking at Delta Vacations it's showing a lot of flights as "Delta Comfort+" but the booking class is clearly main cabin (i.e., "V"). Wondering if I book if I'd actually get C+. Even more interesting is where the flight is operated by AF or AZ which does not have C+. Theoretically, this should be PE, but can't imagine they'd honor that. Anyone have experience with this?

Definitely shouldn't be PE -- after DL launched PS, the fare classes were realigned so you won't see C+ mapping to PE on AF, if anything it would map to AF/KLM extra legroom seats which are essentially the same as C+ (without the free alcohol which is only a domestic perk since all DL international flights receive free alcohol).

Hard to know if it's correct with the listing of "V" or a display error -- you'd need to click through and see the final fare rules which should provide more information on what fare classes are actually being used.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suggest clicking through as if you are booking, and see what comes up with the fare rules as mentioned above... and also what you can select for seats since you should be able to do that prior to booking/paying also. My guess is that you're getting C+ on the delta operated leg only and you're in economy on the AF segments.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no place to click through for the fare rules on DL Vacation packages from what I can see.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
C+ books using dual inventory. Even though W is what is booked in, to be able to purchase you must also have an underlying coach fare class. In this case V. I'm guessing it's an issue with DL Vacations website showing the underlying fare class instead of booked fare class.

You 100% for sure will not get PE on AF. C+ is not, nor has ever been a PE product.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.