Search

Need advice on weather rebooking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Exclamation Need advice on weather rebooking

Hello Delta experts!

My mom's flight from DEN-LGA tomorrow was canceled due to weather. She has no status and is flying on miles.

She has been on hold with Delta for 90 minutes with no signs that they will ever pick up.

I tried to rebook her on the website but it only shows flights today and tomorrow, and won't let me rebook her on one of the perfectly good nonstop flights on Tuesday.

She has to be home Wednesday for a medical procedure, so we are getting nervous.

I could book her a 1 way FF ticket on the flight of her choice Tuesday to lock it in, and hope that when she finally reaches Delta, they will give her back the miles for the canceled flight, but I have no idea if that's a good course of action, or a good way to lose 45,000 miles.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks much,

Truly
(Delta neophyte)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will be able to cancel the new ticket for a refund within 24 hours, but there is no guarantee that it goes back into inventory as flights may be overbooked.

There really is no better advice than calling DL, putting the phone on speaker + mute and going about your business until DL answers. Given the massive weather system, it may well take 2-3 hours+.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you actually purchase a ticket today for a Tues flight, you will be able to cancel it within 24 hrs and get a full refund (although the credit card charges may take a few days to be reversed) ... see "Risk Free Cancellation" on the website ...

given that neither you nor she has status with DL, I wouldn't take chances on an exception to the "no-changes-to-award-tickets-within-72-hrs" rule
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
if you actually purchase a ticket today for a Tues flight, you will be able to cancel it within 24 hrs and get a full refund (although the credit card charges may take a few days to be reversed) ... see "Risk Free Cancellation" on the website ...

given that neither you nor she has status with DL, I wouldn't take chances on an exception to the "no-changes-to-award-tickets-within-72-hrs" rule
Is this true for award tickets within T-72? I thought not.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this true for award tickets within T-72? I thought not.
Website says "Award Tickets cannot be redeposited or changed within 72 hours of scheduled flight departure time."

She's been on hold over 2 hours now ...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I would also try the chat button on the website
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Esltroy
I would also try the chat button on the website
What chat button?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:01 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Twitter has been very responsive this evening. Might be another option to try.

Also, try using Skype to call an overseas call center. Singapore is open 24/7.
Singapore
65-6336-3371
Assistance available 24hrs a day, 7 days a week
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
sorry I wasn't more explicit ... "purchase" meant "pay with $$" not ""book an award ticket"

although if OP has a DL AmEx, pay-with-miles for a portion of a revenue ticket would certainly be an option
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

I am on with Singapore rebooking. Thank you! ^^^
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Truly
I am on with Singapore rebooking. Thank you! ^^^
Glad to hear! They are a great call center.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Truly
Hello Delta experts!

My mom's flight from DEN-LGA tomorrow was canceled due to weather. She has no status and is flying on miles.

She has been on hold with Delta for 90 minutes with no signs that they will ever pick up.

I tried to rebook her on the website but it only shows flights today and tomorrow, and won't let me rebook her on one of the perfectly good nonstop flights on Tuesday.

She has to be home Wednesday for a medical procedure, so we are getting nervous.

I could book her a 1 way FF ticket on the flight of her choice Tuesday to lock it in, and hope that when she finally reaches Delta, they will give her back the miles for the canceled flight, but I have no idea if that's a good course of action, or a good way to lose 45,000 miles.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks much,

Truly
(Delta neophyte)
The OP talks about a FF ticket and then discusses whether miles can be returned.

Originally Posted by jrl767
sorry I wasn't more explicit ... "purchase" meant "pay with $$" not ""book an award ticket"

although if OP has a DL AmEx, pay-with-miles for a portion of a revenue ticket would certainly be an option
To me, the OP is clearly talking about getting an award ticket, not purchasing a ticket with money.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
...To me, the OP is clearly talking about getting an award ticket, not purchasing a ticket with money.
and since OP is looking for a departure inside 48 hrs, I am offering an option (which, granted, has an AmEx constraint -- that I mentioned) to use miles for a portion of the ticket while avoiding the "no-changes-to-award-tix-within-72-hrs" limitation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.