Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

75 yr old wheelchair bound lady thrown out of Delta seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75 yr old wheelchair bound lady thrown out of Delta seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down 75 yr old wheelchair bound lady thrown out of Delta seat

I booked a flight for my mother so she could come over for her grandsons, my nephews funeral. She traveled with other family members and another one traveled the next day all on Delta because I booked and recommended. For her return trip back to Dublin on flight #411 Thursday Feb 26Th, I purchased a better seat for her the night before her flight ($39.00). Seat 30C with extra leg room because she have difficulty walking. I printed her boarding pass with seat 30C on it. I requested a wheelchair for her to be brought to the airplane. She arrived at her seat and sat down and was very happy with her seat. Later on a young girl got on and had the same seat that my mother was seating in first. My mother Dolores was seating in her seat and had the correct information stating that it was her CORRECT SEAT. She, my mother AGED 75 that arrived on the plane in a WHEELCHAIR was told to stand up and stand by the exit beside the seat. She was left standing there for 30 minutes without any help. DID I TELL YOU SHE ARRIVED IN A WHEELCHAIR AND WAS SITTING IN HER CORRECT TICKETED SEAT.
Eventually she walked up embarrassed and mortified asking flight attendants whats going on. One flight attendant asked her if she wouldn't just mind sitting in this other seat, not the seat that she paid for. The flight took off and a very nice older lady (maybe in her fifties, white flight attendant) out of respect I will not mention her name because of her standing up, even told my mother that, that was a disgrace and that should never have happened, told her that at the minimum should never pay for the flight and should at least get another free ticket to apologize for what happened. My mother called me the next day crying and so upset for what she went through. Saying she will never fly ever again with delta. I'm giving you, Delta, the opportunity to make this right. I obviously will not be paying for this flight, that's a given. I also expect Delta to as a gesture of respect offer complimentary flights in the future. I will await your response and what I ask for is minimum what you should do. But I promise if Delta don't do the right thing, I will never fly Delta again, nor will my family and friends and after I've told every customer that I have in my businesses in NYC, Dublin and around the world, as well as my colleagues at the NEW YORK TIMES and NY DAILY NEWS, NOT TO MENTION MY LAWYER, it will have far out implications for you. HOW DARE YOU TREAT A 75 YEAR OLD WHEELCHAIR BOUND WOMEN, MY MOTHER LIKE THAT. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF. HOW ABOUT IF SOMEBODY TREATED YOUR MOTHER LIKE THAT. I expect a speedy response. Sincerely and totally disgusted by DELTA AIRLINES.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Mar 1, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reason: I removed personal data
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I think you have this forum confused with Delta's customer service line. What was wrong with the other seat anyway? There's a lot missing here. If two people had the same seat and the FA offered a different one to resolve the issue, and she accepted, then what are you mad about? Was the other seat way in the back or something? If it was, why'd she take it?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Tempest in a teapot.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Yes Barry, you should contact the airline directly. They really don't read this forum. Here is a link for you to file a formal complaint.
https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...aint/index.jsp

Also, sorry to hear what happened to you mom. You also may want to edit your post to remove your phone numbers and personal information.
Good Luck
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The bad thing we only hear one side if a story.

I am 74, and would have set there and told the FA to straighten it out, and let me know.

Maybe she should have said she arrived in a wheel chair, and told the FA to get he assistant...doubt the FA was a mind reader..

So if they give you something it is all right?

Why the wheel chair if she had the ability to stand for 30 minutes...?

What is a 75 year old woman going to do with another ticket, old people do not cry the next day, they just accept it an move on.

My Lawyer does not work for free,,,nor will he stand there for 30 minutes,

Cool down you need to clean up your complaint, got a few holes in it, and take out your phone number, not smart.

Good Luck, had a few kicks myself, but it is a good life, this side of the grass.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Agree with previous poster, remove your personal details. I would not get you mothers' hopes up about a free ticket.
Write a clear un-dramatic complaint and see what happens And welcome to Flyer Talk.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Tempest in a teapot.
Hmmm... I thought in the case of double-booked seats possession was 9/10ths. It seems odd they would ask her to cede the seat.

Anyway, the most you can hope for is a reimbursement of the $39 for the EC seat. Really, these things happen and are certainly no cause for free tickets of any kind. Of course it's your right as a customer not to fly DL ever again.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Barryreeves
I will never fly Delta again, nor will my family and friends and after I've told every customer that I have in my businesses in NYC, Dublin and around the world, as well as my colleagues at the NEW YORK TIMES and NY DAILY NEWS, NOT TO MENTION MY LAWYER, it will have far out implications for you.
Oh hell....I guess my remaining DL stock is worthless now. Jeeze...board up the windows and shut down the engines. It's all over now. NYC and Dublin.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Barryreeves!

My first thought when I read this was wondering if it was possible this extra you claim you paid was for an exit row seat. If that's true, your mother would not be allowed to sit there. Exit rows are not about extra legroom. Passengers who sit there are expected to help other passengers in an emergency, including opening the emergency door/window. Obviously your mother could not do that.

Apologies if I am wrong here. And yes, please remove all your personal information.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, $39 for an EC seat TATL to Dublin sounds low.

AFAIK DL will require a complaint from the actual passenger, not a relative.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Barryreeves!

My first thought when I read this was wondering if it was possible this extra you claim you paid was for an exit row seat. If that's true, your mother would not be allowed to sit there. Exit rows are not about extra legroom. Passengers who sit there are expected to help other passengers in an emergency, including opening the emergency door/window. Obviously your mother could not do that.

Apologies if I am wrong here. And yes, please remove all your personal information.
This is a 2-3-2 config on the 767-400 TATL config, so 30C is not an "exit row" despite the exit being right there.

EDIT: To MSP, this is a preferred seat, not EC. Does DL still have the option for non status to select preferred via a small add-on?

Last edited by exwannabe; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
To the OP.

If you want anything at all, drop all the histrionics. If anything it will prevent DL from issuing even some token gesture (in addition to a possible $39 refund). Implied threats to sue and/or go public will prevent DL from taking action that you can hold up as a claim that you are right.

You have already paid for the flight. If you dispute it with the CC, the CC will back DL as they will show that the flight was flown.

If you want to dispute the $39 via the CC, that might work. But a reasonable letter to DL would get it back if deserved.

In short, complain to DL simply that

. You paid $39 for this seat, and did not get it. A $39 refund seams reasonable
. That they made her stand for a while despite being wheeled in. That likely will net some SMs.

BTW, why are you asking for free flights when you say neither she nor you will ever fly DL again?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:48 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Welcome to Flyertalk, OP!

Please, edit your post to remove the personal information.

Send your complaint to Delta. Drop the emotion when doing it though.

Now, that said, who wants popcorn?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by kipper
Welcome to Flyertalk, OP!

Please, edit your post to remove the personal information.

Send your complaint to Delta. Drop the emotion when doing it though.

Now, that said, who wants popcorn?
Popcorn and a few beers!

I was anticipating to read about someone physically being thrown out of the seat
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:57 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jackplum
Popcorn and a few beers!

I was anticipating to read about someone physically being thrown out of the seat

I was picturing something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.