Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Last two weeks:

7500 RDM Virginia to ATL to SLC
8200 RDM Virginia to ATL

Another 8000+ next week to ATL. Really I don't care that much but it seems I will be a winner on the east coast late notice flights.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by captiveguru
Thanks. My fares are usually in the $500 +/- range. These were FCM fares.
Btw, I made a mistake in my calculations, I assumed you would have formerly received 200% in RDM but actually Diamonds used to get 225%, meaning you would have earned 8856 miles.

So your new earnings of 7744 RDM is even a bigger decrease.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by marcworld
Well, they now award less, and redemptions are more expensive. It may have taken Delta 4 years to get there, but they got there.
Redemptions get more expensive every year, nothing new about annual devaluations. And this is not only not a DL issue but also not only an airline issue either. All travel providers make annual leaps.

But I am still waiting for some evidence DL is now offering fewer RDM’s than the were before the calculation change. You keep saying it is ‘obvious’ but aren’t offering anything to back it up. Not saying you are wrong, just looking for the proof to support it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I don't understand why people need so much convincing on this topic when it's so obvious (to me, at least) that every single change a corporation makes is naturally in the direction of increasing revenue and decreasing expenses or both.

Here's a quote from their VP in 2010:
“The frequent flyer model of over-awarding is not sustainable and must be changed. It’s either going to be redemption or accrual or both.”

http://crankyflier.com/2010/09/16/th...es-discussion/

Well, they now award less, and redemptions are more expensive. It may have taken Delta 4 years to get there, but they got there.
Great find.....it is only five years old and not a quote from the CEO.

The frame work around this interview and timing was they had merged two programs together and the NW program was very overly generous....confirmed in private conversations with former NW execs. They gave away the farm because they felt they had too.

The challenge that Jeff and skymiles faced at the time was how to scale it back as they no longer had to offer an open candy store.

Nice try though as this article in no way supports your assertions. Perhaps you can find a more current quote from the CEO as you stated.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Mileage earnings are down 20-25% and I've really only seen increased low level award flights via partners; DL metal seems as expensive as always.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Mileage earnings are down 20-25% and I've really only seen increased low level award flights via partners; DL metal seems as expensive as always.
And my numbers are just the opposite. Up about 30% and no problems finding awards. Your point?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Flying sucks, period. Having some status just (slightly) softens the aggravation, or at least it used to. These days having any status with an airline seems to cause more irritation/frustration due to the inconsistency of the policies applied, and the consistent attempts to screw you over.
I've flown countless flights (domestic/intl) in economy and flying is still the best thing ever.

You're participating in the miracle of flight. And an economy seat is perfectly fine unless you're super tall or super large.

Status gives you things which you can basically pay for if you want - want check your bag, have some alcohol or food on board, entertainment options? Just pay for them a la carte instead of hoping for status.

In the end, you're still able to do a journey in a few hours on a nice cushioned seat. That is the opposite of "sucking". Its awesome!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat

Which just makes the point (again, b/c so many threads here are about this topic) that – although DM's and high fares get the best treatment, EVERYBODY LOSES in this plan, either a lot or a little.
I've had four TATL flights this year and each one earned 75,000 RDMs, so how did I lose exactly?

While I'm all for using miles to pay for vacation travel, as a businessman, which I assume the vast majority on here are as well, it blows my mind when people on here gripe about a business, Delta in this case, trying to essentially make more money and reduce debt, which Sky Miles are. Then the same gripe about that company only rewarding their high value/spend customers to which I ask, why shouldn't they? I know it is hard for some to realize on here, but if you're doing multiple mileage runs to renew DM status or needing the AMEX MQD waiver, then you're not really a valuable customer....
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by noamaan
I've flown countless flights (domestic/intl) in economy and flying is still the best thing ever.

You're participating in the miracle of flight. And an economy seat is perfectly fine unless you're super tall or super large.

Status gives you things which you can basically pay for if you want - want check your bag, have some alcohol or food on board, entertainment options? Just pay for them a la carte instead of hoping for status.

In the end, you're still able to do a journey in a few hours on a nice cushioned seat. That is the opposite of "sucking". Its awesome!
I still love flying. I am not afraid to spill my guts to the FT community. I sometimes enjoy the journey more than the destination.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Reminds me of this clip.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1myllo...acle-of-flight
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Great find.....it is only five years old and not a quote from the CEO.

The frame work around this interview and timing was they had merged two programs together and the NW program was very overly generous....confirmed in private conversations with former NW execs. They gave away the farm because they felt they had too.

The challenge that Jeff and skymiles faced at the time was how to scale it back as they no longer had to offer an open candy store.

Nice try though as this article in no way supports your assertions. Perhaps you can find a more current quote from the CEO as you stated.
Ok, it's an interview with the VP in charge of SkyMiles, not the CEO. I generalized. BFD. This is what I found with the short time I was willing to spend on researching it. That guy is STILL the VP of SkyMiles. The changes are his. If you want more concrete proof or for some reason feel like being a litigious crank about it, so be it, I'm not going to convince you and I'm going to stop trying. Who cares, really.

The VP said issuance and redemption was unsustainable. That logically implies that one or both would be cut back. A prior poster said the changes are a zero sum game. A cutback is not zero sum. My point is quite well proven, and if you want to obstinately disagree for whatever reason, you are free to do so, I'm done on the topic.

Btw to the poster who wanted to see firm numbers on quantity of RDMs issued year vs. year, Delta has declined to provide that data, calling it proprietary.

I'm sure some curmudgeon will demand I back that up with an original source too but I quite frankly don't feel like it.

To the guy who earned 75000 miles on his tickets:
(a) you are an outlier, and I keep repeating that there are many outliers who might get a lot of miles for their tickets, and
(b) I'm guessing that if the 75000 cap were not in place, and you received miles strictly on dollars spent, you would have gotten even MORE than 75k. Meaning this new 75k max per ticket has also penalized YOU.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm up about 50% from last year on RDM earning. Because my flights have been unusually expensive so far this year, I've been coming out well ahead on the new program.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by noamaan

Sure, the concept of FLIGHT is still cool.

It's being exposed to all kinds of situations beyond your control, in a constricted seat, in a narrow steel tube that sucks the fun out of it, for me at least.

If I had the time I would drive to most destinations: much more comfortable and you get to actually see stuff.

But hey, if you like it, good for you! ^
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
And my numbers are just the opposite. Up about 30% and no problems finding awards. Your point?
Same as you, just providing fellow FT'ers with a single data point. Did I need to make another point?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've earned 31,757 RDMs so far this year flying. Last year I would have earned 53,892 for the same amount of flying. The biggest hit I've taken though, is the redemption amounts. I can't find an award under 40K for for the route I normally use miles on within 3 weeks of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.