Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In

Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Mileage earnings are way down and I for sure have not seen this increased low level award flights I heard so much about.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by jjlovecub
Mileage earnings are way down and I for sure have not seen this increased low level award flights I heard so much about.
Same boat
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
The earnings are a small deal. Wait until you try to use the SlyMiles. That will really hurt. As of Jan 1 award pricing has gone up roughly two fold (if not more), give or take a bit, on the routes that I've look at (obviously YMMV based on your preferred routes). Now be prepared to pay as much for a one way flight as much as round trip (with a stopover) used to be before. The higher mileage levels and practical elimination of normal (level 1) and almost near elimination of level 2 awards, now some awards at level 3, and most at level 4 and level 5, will make your eyes water at how many miles it takes to redeem now for a DL flight. And the cherry on top? Additive pricing and married segment logic, which for other than simple single-flight trips can make it cost now, on the average, 3x or more as much as it cost before for the same.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The earnings are a small deal. Wait until you try to use the SlyMiles. That will really hurt. As of Jan 1 award pricing has gone up roughly two fold (if not more), give or take a bit, on the routes that I've look at (obviously YMMV based on your preferred routes). Now be prepared to pay as much for a one way flight as much as round trip (with a stopover) used to be before. The higher mileage levels and practical elimination of normal (level 1) and almost near elimination of level 2 awards, now some awards at level 3, and most at level 4 and level 5, will make your eyes water at how many miles it takes to redeem now for a DL flight. And the cherry on top? Additive pricing and married segment logic, which for other than simple single-flight trips can make it cost now, on the average, 3x or more as much as it cost before for the same.
Let's not forget doing away with the RTW tickets. I'd been banking both time and miles for this for some time, and that's now over and done with.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The 2015 earnings rates (by status) were disclosed when revenue-based earnings were announced, now fully a year ago.

http://news.delta.com/2014-02-26-Del...mption-Options

DL had the new program/'14 program earnings comparison tool up for months, too. The OP has had plenty of time to figure out effects given his fares v. distances. If that changes the value proposition and his choice of carrier away from DL, so be it.
That chart is BS. Specifically, the "+2" they list for your credit card. As if this should be considered, in comparison to previous years, when the +2 has always been there and is not a new earning model.

Delta loves to restate things that you've always gotten, as some kind of new benefit, masking the huge cutback in mileage distribution. I'm waiting for their new promotion of "no more peanuts - but unlimited, free in-flight trips to the bathroom!"

See also: "Up to 75000 miles per ticket!" Total BS, phrasing a new cap - limit - restriction - as some kind of "plus". So obnoxious.

But to the OP's original point...I think you'll be happier if you look at airline loyalty for the other perks, not miles & free tickets. The reason I am religiously loyal is how well I am treated during the experience, compared to the herds: free bags, faster check-in lines, liberal rules about changing my flight, economy comfort seats....every little perk makes the day of flying far more pleasant. And I'm probably happy to pay for that...via an increased price of flying, as computed in fewer rebates of (devalued) redeemable miles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Well, ironically I've earned more miles this year in the program due to business travel over short distances. That being said, I think the silent devaluation of miles via 5 tier then "what tier" removal of calendar has made my SM worthless.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Well, ironically I've earned more miles this year in the program due to business travel over short distances.
I think this is my situation. Am I missing something? Just completed my first RT of the year and see this in my SkyMiles account:

Outbound:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $304
RDMs 1,520
Bonus RDMs 1,824
Total RDMs 3,344

Return:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $400
RDMs 2,000
Bonus RDMs 2,400
Total RDMs 4,400

How am I worse off?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by captiveguru
I think this is my situation. Am I missing something? Just completed my first RT of the year and see this in my SkyMiles account:

Outbound:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $304
RDMs 1,520
Bonus RDMs 1,824
Total RDMs 3,344

Return:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $400
RDMs 2,000
Bonus RDMs 2,400
Total RDMs 4,400

How am I worse off?
Well, you spent $700 + tax (so probably $800) on a roundtrip ticket. Which is on the high range of fares. And even with that high fare and your DM status, you only earned 7744 miles, instead of 7872 miles. You earned less.

Now imagine somebody who isn't DM, or who traveled in a discounted fare class, they would be getting maybe 1/2 the miles that you did.

Which just makes the point (again, b/c so many threads here are about this topic) that – although DM's and high fares get the best treatment, EVERYBODY LOSES in this plan, either a lot or a little.

(There are also some cases where you can actually end up earning more miles than before, most notably on expensive, short haul flights. Those kinds of people will probably reply and say "I come out better!" but, obviously, Delta did not make this change to give out MORE miles, they made the change to give out LESS. In the aggregate, there are now LESS miles being awarded to the entire customer base, and at the same time, award tickets cost MORE, with the new ranges being a smokescreen.)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by marcworld
Well, you spent $700 + tax (so probably $800) on a roundtrip ticket. Which is on the high range of fares. And even with that high fare and your DM status, you only earned 7744 miles, instead of 7872 miles. You earned less.

Now imagine somebody who isn't DM, or who traveled in a discounted fare class, they would be getting maybe 1/2 the miles that you did.

Which just makes the point (again, b/c so many threads here are about this topic) that although DM's and high fares get the best treatment, EVERYBODY LOSES in this plan, either a lot or a little.

(There are also some cases where you can actually end up earning more miles than before, most notably on expensive, short haul flights. Those kinds of people will probably reply and say "I come out better!" but, obviously, Delta did not make this change to give out MORE miles, they made the change to give out LESS. In the aggregate, there are now LESS miles being awarded to the entire customer base, and at the same time, award tickets cost MORE, with the new ranges being a smokescreen.)
As much as I hate to say it for me as international business traveler, that is a great way to write liability off the books.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: DL exDM MM

Which just makes the point (again, b/c so many threads here are about this topic) that although DM's and high fares get the best treatment, EVERYBODY LOSES in this plan, either a lot or a little.

Thanks. My fares are usually in the $500 +/- range. These were FCM fares.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am definitely earning less on trans con and more on short hops, but I find minimum value in the RDMs due to devaluation, so I don't worry myself over it....
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I assumed this was a zero sum game which shifted more RDMs to those who pay the most. Apparently you know more so can you please provide a source that says DL is awarding less miles overall?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I assumed this was a zero sum game which shifted more RDM’s to those who pay the most. Apparently you know more so can you please provide a source that says DL is awarding less miles overall?
I would love to see their internal accounting but I'm sure that data is confidential.

But the overall cutback is obvious.

Why would you assume zero sum? their CEO has given many interviews where he said the program must have cut backs. He didn't say we need to reconsider who gets the miles. He said we need to give out less. And as you can see here, even diamonds are getting less generally speaking. There are still a few (naive? no offense) folks on here who don't get it and think they are coming out around the same as they used to, but they simply aren't, as a group.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
their CEO has given many interviews where he said the program must have cut backs. He didn't say we need to reconsider who gets the miles. He said we need to give out less.
Please provide specific links with the above quotes......
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Please provide specific links with the above quotes......
I don't understand why people need so much convincing on this topic when it's so obvious (to me, at least) that every single change a corporation makes is naturally in the direction of increasing revenue and decreasing expenses or both.

Here's a quote from their VP in 2010:
The frequent flyer model of over-awarding is not sustainable and must be changed. Its either going to be redemption or accrual or both.

http://crankyflier.com/2010/09/16/th...es-discussion/

Well, they now award less, and redemptions are more expensive. It may have taken Delta 4 years to get there, but they got there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.