Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCM FTW!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Congratulations you just paid 107 dollars for 30 dollars worth of service and product. You must be proud.
It might be worth $30, but it could easily cost $150 (2 checked bags and a few drinks).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As opposed to investing to keep higher tier elites happy and coming back much more often?
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Lest we forget - clipping a Diamond's wings = priceless
Based on my observations about such flights, it's more likely a Gold or even Silver won't get the upgrade now.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
A friend just had the same experience last week MSP --> MIA- $110 round trip upgrade to 1st class on both legs, non-stop each way. She was pretty pumped to effectively only pay an extra $60 for the two flights, since she no longer had to pay for her checked bag.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The argument to which you are responding makes no sense. Delta gains value by giving away upgrades to Medallions. The increased loyalty is worth something. I do think it is a sensible move by Delta to quit kidding themselves about the value of their front cabin (which is basically what FCM is). But there is some price below which Delta gains more from making Medallions happy.
NOT necessarily. The two medallions that were specifically quoted indicated they were unwilling to EVER give DL ANY more money. Why on earth would DL want to reward that behavior? DL is making the smart business decision and taking away perks from the sponges. Yes, DL gains more by making SOME Medallions happy, but gains more by making some Medallions simply go away.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
My offer on top of a $780+ ticket, wish I would see some better offers...

UPGRADE TO FIRST CLASS
Enjoy our best service and Sky Priority® on this flight.
$982.50 (USD) per passenger entire trip
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bubbashow
NOT necessarily. The two medallions that were specifically quoted indicated they were unwilling to EVER give DL ANY more money. .
If you're referring to me, I think you have seriously misquoted me. I said I don't find value in paying extra for an F seat, but, I ALWAYS ALWAYS give all of my travel business to DL due to the loyalty program and its benefits, with the very rare exception of when SW has those ridiculously cheap sales that DL doesn't even want that business, like $40 PIT/CHI on a nonstop. I don't even look at UA or AA/US prices. Do you see any value in this at all?

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 28, 2015 at 12:38 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I just found this in the DL web site. Is this new? How are these prioritized vs complementary UGs? I first assumed that this was referring to the at-the-gate UG sales that, supposedly, are not processed until after all complementary UGs have cleared. But, the "Same-Day Standby" description now has me wondering.

(I only pasted a portion of the table content)

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:

• Within North America (except JFKLAX, JFKSEA and JFKSFO).
• To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
• Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
• Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Traveling---------------Y / B / M Fares------S / H / Q / K / L Fares-----U / T / X / V Fares

0 to 500 miles---------------$49------------------$119-------------------------$169

501 to 1,000 miles------------$79------------------$149------------------------$199
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Now it makes sense to me that the app is alwayz offering me an UG from V on PIT/ATL (526 miles) for $199.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
I do agree with you about the $100+ tho. I'm not one to shell out ANY bux for a ride up front. I'd rather have the cash to spend, and I alwayz have a great Y seat.

Delta has done the RIGHT thing by selling F class upgrades. If a "medallion" would never buy one, they should NEVER be given for free.
If you're referring to me, I think you have seriously misquoted me. I said I don't find value in paying extra for an F seat, but, I ALWAYS ALWAYS give all of my travel business to DL due to the loyalty program and its benefits, with the very rare exception of when SW has those ridiculously cheap sales that DL doesn't even want that business, like $40 PIT/CHI on a nonstop. I don't even look at UA or AA/US prices.
davetravels... I don't believe that bubba literally misquoted you here, but he makes up for it later. See, below, in this post, where he seems to seek to imply a message that you did not intend.

I would suggest, however, that BusTrav8yrs' post was quoted considerably out of contest, Clearly, the quoted post contained no content linking his opinion to whether or not he received any "free" upgrades:

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Congratulations you just paid 107 dollars for 30 dollars worth of service and product. You must be proud.
Well....good to know how you feel. When you don't get upgraded (for free), you really don't value the product. Good learning point for DL lurkers here (and there are MANY!)
Misquoting... a weak approach to supporting an even weaker argument.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
The argument to which you are responding makes no sense. Delta gains value by giving away upgrades to Medallions. The increased loyalty is worth something. I do think it is a sensible move by Delta to quit kidding themselves about the value of their front cabin (which is basically what FCM is). But there is some price below which Delta gains more from making Medallions happy.

Your response [this is directed to me... SHIB], however, makes sense, and is even more valid when you take into account that you are responding to a silly argument.
NOT necessarily. The two medallions that were specifically quoted indicated they were unwilling to EVER give DL ANY more money. Why on earth would DL want to reward that behavior? DL is making the smart business decision and taking away perks from the sponges. Yes, DL gains more by making SOME Medallions happy, but gains more by making some Medallions simply go away.
^^^Carl Johnson

The response to you clearly mischaracterizes both davetravels' and BusTrav8yrs' posts. Neither "indicated they were unwilling to EVER give DL ANY more money."

Besides that, how two elites choose to prioritize how they spend their money, or how they express their perceptions of the value of the FC product, should not serve as a basis for a generalized assertion that the complementary UG system is a flawed concept.

And, all who value well-reasoned and temperate discourse should note another insult directed at the rest of the DL FF community. Now we are sponges.

Bubba... why must the preponderance of your posts include an insult directed at a specific individual or group of FT members? This has to detract from the impact of your messaging.

Now it makes sense to me that the app is alwayz offering me an UG from V on PIT/ATL (526 miles) for $199.
The numbers jive, but the name "Same-Day Standby Upgrades" is still confusing.

Were you offered the UG at the time of original ticket purchase (presumable not the day of the flight)?

If you were offered the UG at check-in, did you check-in on the day of the flight?

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 25, 2015 at 9:14 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:32 pm

The thing with Bubba is, I think he believes that nobody should get upgraded unless they pay for it. Obviously, at least for the moment, Delta feels that there is SOME value in upgrading Medallions. Delta is currently making a lot of money including for Bubba, as he has posted before, so let's just hope no time soon, that he takes a job as head of SkyMiles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... I think he believes that nobody should get upgraded unless they pay for it....
I'm not sure about the nobody part. He still has not answered my question about whether he, personally, would turn down a complementary UG if it were offered to him.

Yes, VA Ave clearly sees some vestigial value to them in continuing to offer complementary UGs. This fact must be somewhat frustrating to some stockholders.

What I find offensive is the continual assertion made by a small number here... that anyone seeking a complementary UG is a freeloader.

Suppose someone, perhaps a first-time DL flyer, purchases a ticket for $400 and gets a $200 RT UG buy-up offer at time of purchase.

Then, on the day of the flight, a DM seeks to purchase a ticket and the cheapest ticket is $1100 and there are no FC seats left, due to FCM sales. The DM goes ahead and purchases the ticket and sits in coach.

How is that DM a freeloader or a sponge? Or, put another way, who is the freeloader? The PAX in coach on a $1100 ticket? Or, the PAX in FC on a $600 ticket.

Answer... neither are... but some here find it convenient to ridicule and demonize anyone who, while well aware of the "subject to availability" constraint, would still aspire to an UG frequency commensurate with VA Ave's advertising hype.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Glad for the OP, but how does this make DL $$, given that the OP has no status and may have bags to check? I fail to see how this is so lucrative...
do you really believe that transporting a bag actually costs DL $25, particularly at today's fuel cost? if so, i've got a beachfront property in AZ i'd love to talk to you about.

the F meal probably costs DL about $10-15 round trip, if even that.

i'd guess that even if OP checks the maximum amount of bags and eats and drinks like no tomorrow, the actual "cost" to DL is under $50. so they're still making $57, and based on their rev management algorithm, they're willing to make that $$ versus give the seat away...since they're feeling like it is unlikely they will sell out the cabin at prevailing F fares.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Maybe?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba...ve_Sponge_Show
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
ROFL

It's fascinating how many radio personalities have decided to work the name Bubba into their on-air persona.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
ROFL

It's fascinating how many radio personalities have decided to work the name Bubba into their on-air persona.
Well he is in Detroit...look at his photos, looks like a bully.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
The big deal that everybody makes about liquor isn't in this thread in particular, it's the entire Delta forum where I see such an emphasis on liquor in day to day posts.

Agree. The deification of Woodford gives me a hearty chuckle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.