Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCM FTW!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
As I had stated, as a kettle I can see why it would be attractive, but you are confusing cost with actual value.

I could care less who is in F, I just don't understand this FCM fever where people outlay one-two hundred dollars for an inferior product and feel like they won the lottery.
What is your comparison?

Cost is universal but worth is individualized so quit being so negative and let the guy enjoy his trip. Jeez.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Habituation is a term that's been used.
Thanks. There is a word for almost everything! Did some research. Wonder if Sensitization might also apply...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
Absolutely not. I don't want to be tipsy at my destination. The only time I drink on a plane is TATL/TPAC, I'll have 2 or 3 glasses of wine at the beginning to put me to sleep. <ok, maybe 4 >

It simply amazes me how many people here seem to make Woodford, and the lack of quality beverages at the SkyClubs, such a big deal. That was why I referenced the drinkerz in my post. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that someone will calculate the maximum price for drinks in Y, and figure that into the value of an F upgrade, whether someone drinks or not.

That said, I'm truly noticing more business types that I sit next to, drinking a fair amount to the point of being obviously tipsy and even slightly slurring their words, and then telling me they're driving home or to their hotel. But that, I believe, is for another thread.
Oh please, nobody made it a big deal except you. It was simply a model, take that cost out if you want. Personally I like to start a Florida vacation with a couple drinks, which over 3 1/2 -4 hours or so is not a lot :-) . Many of the Florida flights board like pigs.

Last edited by hazelrah; Feb 27, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
100% right. Exactly. Totally worth it.
IF it was a 7 hour flight, I would agree. The flight is 3h and 40m. In my mind, this is debatable. $100 for the upgrade isn't bad though. I absolutely refuse to pay for an upgrade on anything less than 2-2.5 hours.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by ruckzac
IF it was a 7 hour flight, I would agree. The flight is 3h and 40m. In my mind, this is debatable. $100 for the upgrade isn't bad though. I absolutely refuse to pay for an upgrade on anything less than 2-2.5 hours.
I find the slim-line seats painful after 1.5 hours , so that's my threshold.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/skinnier...nes-1414602406
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Oh please, nobody made it a big deal except you.
The big deal that everybody makes about liquor isn't in this thread in particular, it's the entire Delta forum where I see such an emphasis on liquor in day to day posts.

Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Talking

The big deal that everybody makes about liquor isn't in this thread in particular, it's the entire Delta forum where I see such an emphasis on liquor in day to day posts.

I'll drink to that!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ruckzac
It is $107 round trip - $53.50 each way. Seriously worth it in my view. Flying Alaska between SEA and SNA or LAS, I used to pay $50 for an upgrade whenever I could get it.

If I didn't have status, I would have paid that much on a flight as long as the OP's. Now I enjoy playing the game, and don't mind sitting in EC if I don't win the game.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Soooooooooooooooo many drinkerz in this forum.

And the question is... were they that way before, or did FT drive them to it.

(He asks, contemplating his Woodford PDB that should appear about 60 minutes from now. )
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow

Delta has done the RIGHT thing by selling F class upgrades. If a "medallion" would never buy one, they should NEVER be given for free.
Some of us are still waiting for you to post here foreswearing that you will never, ever again accept a complementary upgrade.

NEVER is quite absolute. If elites should NEVER be given complementary UGs, does that not apply to you too?

Should you not be demonstrating your moral support and dedication to The Cause?

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Feb 27, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Easy fix to never have to accept one: just remove the check from the box "request upgrade".
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Some of us are still waiting for you to post here foreswearing that you will never, ever again accept a complementary upgrade.

NEVER is quite absolute. If elites should NEVER be given complementary UGs, does that not apply to you too?

I honestly don't recall the last "upgrade" I received without using money or an instrument.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I honestly don't recall the last "upgrade" I received without using money or an instrument.
But that was not the question.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

The argument to which you are responding makes no sense. Delta gains value by giving away upgrades to Medallions. The increased loyalty is worth something. I do think it is a sensible move by Delta to quit kidding themselves about the value of their front cabin (which is basically what FCM is). But there is some price below which Delta gains more from making Medallions happy.

Your response, however, makes sense, and is even more valid when you take into account that you are responding to a silly argument.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Delta is getting more from the loyal customers who don't jump from airline to airline to get the cheapest ticket. They are getting their 100 dollars here, their 40 dollars there over the shear volume that a FF must do do maintain status. They are still getting their pound of flesh with the carrot that the loyal customer will occasionally get perks. Eventually, as they take away more perks (SDC, FCM, Layovers on Award, etc.) add perks that benefit some and penalize others (Revenue Based, C+, etc.) eventually the cost/benefit will cause some to leave and others to stay. Delta may eventually get to the 80% for FCM, but I wonder what the effects will be on the loyal customer base that they have cultivated. Delta could wake up one day and find that their seats are covered in tacky orange fabric and people are bum rushing to get a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.