Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
What the OP hasn't said is how many miles he wound up with and how many he was able to carry over?

and yes I used to fly FNT-DTW a lot going back to when they flew airbuses on the route and filled them up and Mrs Bob H and I used to do things like FNT-DTW-MEM--xxx and then stay in xxx a day or two to play tourist.

Also, I wonder why he started his SR so late in the day.

Bob H
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
are we supposed to be surprised that delta doesn't care about a long time loyal customer?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
chasing medallion status is like herding cats and about as worthwhile
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
FF programs are not really "loyalty" programs anymore. They are programs that reward those that spend a lot of money on the airline. They may just eliminate segment qualification all together in the future. It's not really about how many times you have boarded one of their planes, its about how much cash you've given them.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Part of the issue is perhaps that DL has generally not done bump-up's since the advent of rollover MQM's. The issue is what happens to the rollover MQM's. Should you get to keep them as well if they bump you up? If someone meets the 60 segment Gold requirement and flies 40K miles they will get zero rollover MQM's. Why should someone didn't meet the segment requirement and flew the same 40K miles get both bumped to Gold and 15K rollover MQM's to boot? Maybe they are willing to make that trade-off, but I bet a lot won't consider that fact and would get mad if DL took their rollover away after bumping them.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by motionguy
Hello All:

Sorry I'm here to rant about Delta not caring about it's long term medallion members.

Last year I ended up with 57 segments, of course three shy of gold elite. I actually did try a segment run back on 12/16/14. LAN-DTW-IAD and back on same day (depart LAN 3:09pm, return to LAN 10:25pm). However, the initial outbound flight was delayed, delayed, and finally delayed (due to mechanical issue) enough that I couldn't make my connection and would be stuck in IAD overnight.

The very nice Medallion desk agent searched high and low to find something for me to earn at least three segments, but couldn't. So she voided my ticket and returned the fare to my credit card.

By that late in the year I had no other business travel requirements and couldn't find anything reasonable to do the segment run. I figured that my membership in their skymiles (Northwest WorldPerks) since 1991, being gold or platinum for 15 years straight, having their credit card, and being a member of their skyclub might get them to consider gifting me three segments and allowing me to remain Gold for 2015.

I was mistaken!

I tried three different times pleading for their mercy. They claim that the do not take my long-standing loyalty for granted, but they do.

They've been making it more and more challenging to be loyal, at the beginning of 2014 they cancelled the FNT-DTW / DTW-FNT route that I was quite often on. I went out of my to travel from LAN, MBS, and sometimes DTW to keep flying Delta. That is what ultimately cost me, the flights out of DTW cost me two segments for most trips.

United (recently starting flying out of FNT) has offered to match my status with their challenge program. I've already flown or have scheduled 13 of 15 required segments in 90 days to make it. I just need to squeeze in one more trip between now and April.

Looks like Delta took my loyalty for granted one too many times!
Welcome to the good side!!!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by grahampros
FF programs are not really "loyalty" programs anymore. They are programs that reward those that spend a lot of money on the airline. They may just eliminate segment qualification all together in the future. It's not really about how many times you have boarded one of their planes, its about how much cash you've given them.
Sure they are. Just look at this thread and you will see just how far people will go for a free plastic cup of cheap booze, possibly with a lime. Threads like this support DL (as well as AA and UA) marketing philosophy that you can get people to spend money with you even when it makes more sense to spend it elsewhere.

While it theoretically makes more sense to look at every trip and determine the best way to travel, people are hooked on simple and cost-free things such as priority boarding (what does DL care who boards first vs. last?).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Its amazing what educated (?) people will do for faux status on an airline. Spend their weekend going to IST in a metal tube, and then coming back.

They are sheep-shearing programs, not loyalty programs - relieving people of their hard-earned life for a plastic card.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I personally have never done a mileage run, and don't think I will ever do one. The only exception would be if I knew for a fact I would be traveling at the new level of status in the new year or more. If my travel plans are slowing or uncertain I won't do it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Its amazing what educated (?) people will do for faux status on an airline. Spend their weekend going to IST in a metal tube, and then coming back.

They are sheep-shearing programs, not loyalty programs - relieving people of their hard-earned life for a plastic card.
And that's where you are wrong. It is not merely a plastic card, but a shiny plastic card which they can show off to their colleagues to show how good life is.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Paid F
I don't get it. You live in a city that's not served by Delta and you have to drive 80 miles each way to get to one that is. I would probably pursue status with an airline that at least flies to where I live.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by JW76
I don't get it. You live in a city that's not served by Delta and you have to drive 80 miles each way to get to one that is. I would probably pursue status with an airline that at least flies to where I live.
Say what?

FNT still has Delta service, but just to ATL and MSP and for some of us to that part of Michigan the time from our homes to the other side of security is the same regardless of whether we use FNT, LAN or DTW because of the ease of parking at the smaller airports.

I've used FNT with checked luggage and been on the expressway 15 minutes after the plane got to the gate (and yes my bags are in the trunk!).

What FNT no longer has is service to DTW and that route goes back to the days of the Blue Goose.

Bob H
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
If you had requested ORC instead of a refund on your itinerary, you would have made the cut. It may be too late now, however.
Yep. I would have gotten on the LAN-DTW flight, claimed trip in vein, then gotten on the DTW-LAN flight and requested ORC.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Yep. I would have gotten on the LAN-DTW flight, claimed trip in vein, then gotten on the DTW-LAN flight and requested ORC.
Isn't a trip in "vein" what happens when you get a DVT from Economy Class Syndrome?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by LaserSailor

I spent a long weekend in IST and I wish I would have stayed a day or two longer. I got to see quite a bit of the city as well as the Sultan's summer palace. I even got on OpUp on the way back AMS-DTW. If the political landscape there were the same as when I went there, I'd do it again if another cheap fare came up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.