Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM
No soup for you......NEXT!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
From a business perspective, If I have a policy that says when threshold "X" is reached, benefit "Y" occurs, I don't need to employ staff to make subjetive decisions. This makes their lives easier and prevents me from legal jeopardy when they get it wrong. If, on the other hand, I have a policy that can be overridden by random acts of kindness and the whim of employees' emotions, I am probably headed for trouble.

This applies pretty much anywhere in business.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by motionguy
I was/am ranting, just apologizing in advance for it!
No need to apologize at all. We at FT love long rants. It gives us an opportunity to tell the poor person what he *should* have done
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
If an appeal does not yield success, I suggest packing your things and moving to Seattle, where you'll probably be targeted for a Medallion fast track promo in about three seconds.
^ Yes... the next Seattle-based promo "If you live in Seattle and if you flew DL anywhere in 2012, enroll below for your automatic PM status..."

Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:09 pm

Odd

So odd, in my opinion, that people are so full of themselves that the think they should be granted something if they don't meet the criteria. The OP will love UA and aA.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Why do people always wait until the end of the status year to do a mileage run to retain/achieve status? Do it early on (when you find a low enough fare) and get it over with.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
So a work colleague of mine has consistently been UA GS. Last year, he had over $48K of spend on * and was way over the miles requirement on UA metal for renewal of GS. At the end of the year, he was shocked to find that United welcomed him to another year of Silver Elite status as a valued member in their Mileage Plus program. He called and said ...O. United pointed out that he didn't meet the spend on United, (he was somewhat short of the Gold spend requirement), but as a customer service gesture, recognizing his long-term loyalty to United, they'd make a one-time exception, and move him up to their exclusive Gold Elite level this time.

He now understands the importance of only booking flights with a UA code, no matter who the operating carrier is

Enjoy those Friendly Skies!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by jimrpa
So a work colleague of mine has consistently been UA GS. Last year, he had over $48K of spend on * and was way over the miles requirement on UA metal for renewal of GS. At the end of the year, he was shocked to find that United welcomed him to another year of Silver Elite status as a valued member in their Mileage Plus program. He called and said ...O. United pointed out that he didn't meet the spend on United, (he was somewhat short of the Gold spend requirement), but as a customer service gesture, recognizing his long-term loyalty to United, they'd make a one-time exception, and move him up to their exclusive Gold Elite level this time.

He now understands the importance of only booking flights with a UA code, no matter who the operating carrier is

Enjoy those Friendly Skies!
This is why elites should be given benefits. They are loyal and pay more over time than the one off, or flyers who sleep around. (ok maybe just choose to go with the cheapest airlines.) You give up benefits of loyalty for cheaper fares. If delta decides to lower benefits eventually they will make it so that there is no difference between delta and frontier. Eventually, people will vote with their wallet. Once again, Delta is being penny wise and pound foolish on cutting their loyalty benefits.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I should point out that I was comped the previous year's elite level (gold, I think) for 2002 even though I only made silver on qualifications. The reason, of course, was the disruptive effect of 9/11. Delta didn't want people to get busted down in rank and thinking of changing carriers because of that. Am sure quite a few others were affected.

I gave 'em credit for that, but in looking at the 2015 round of changes, one of their biggest vulnerabilities is the black swan event, whether a terror attack, disease outbreak or something else. With only high-rev people being catered to and low-rev ones drifting away, they've lost a major tool to rebuild business.

Suppose some event happened and they lose 33% of pax because people become afraid to fly. Would comping people status (as in NYC and SEA) help that much? Maybe you earn 7 or 8 miles per dollar instead of 5, meaning a $200 ticket gets 1,600 miles instead of 1,000. Hardly seems like it'd make a splash.

Am reminded of when rental car companies went from deals like 500-1,500 miles a rental (though you had to show a ticket) to 50 miles a day. Then they tried to get people excited about "double miles" on the 50/day . Every once in a while maybe Avis or Budget or someone will have 3K for as low as 3 days, but most of the time the miles won't sway a purchase decision for me now. Delta's in that kind of position for low-revs.

And the overarching reason why is because there's less competition among legacies. U.S. flyers are getting treated more and more like European ones with a single dominant national carrier have been treated all along.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Often1
OP had an easy solution, by wanted both his money back and credit for the flights. He could have had ORC for the asking, but chose the refund. Would have been a win-win. People ask all the time why they have to actually fly the tickets they purchase in order to earn credit and are told they can't. Here is an example of not having to fly the MR, but getting credit.

OP still ought to request ORC for the cancelled segments. It would be against what amounts to DL's seeming policy, but stranger things have happened. Just make the ORC request. Forget about the entire morose loyalty thing. "I purchased tickets on DL, the flights were cancelled, I want ORC.
Selective reading???
OP in amazingly precise prose stated he wasn't aware of ORC. Furthermor he amazingly precisely stated that had he known he would have asked for it.
Your deliberate prevarications really need to stop!
I'm moderately surprised you didn't advise OP that he should have purchased travel insurance...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
OP, I was a Marriott guy for 15 years, and I will never step foot In one again. In that time I was assigned smoking rooms when I reserved non smoking. I often were assigned rooms by the ice maker. I was walked 3 times. All of this while a platinum member. In all of my complaints over the years about little things and not taking care of platinums only one hotel manager 'got it. The reason I left, they charged my card $3,000.00 for another guests bill and no one from the property would return my call after 2 days I called corporate and they had the manager finally call me. But it took 2 weeks. While Delta is far from perfect I don t think any program is much better or worse if you have a large sample group. We all have our stories good and bad. But after 30 years of 100% travel, I have learned the grass is not greener on the other program for long
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by Ledfish
The landscape has changed and the days of yore are just that.
Agree. At the end of the day… this is the brave real world.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I have to disagree with a lot of responders here - enforcing requirements is one thing but when OP tried to satisfy them and through no fault of his own couldn't, I don't think he should be penalized for it. Certainly, it's times like these that past history should be taken into account especially if flier has a 20+ year history and qualifies on segments, which is a lot harder than any other way.
^ +1
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Esltroy
If delta decides to lower benefits eventually they will make it so that there is no difference between delta and frontier. Eventually, people will vote with their wallet. Once again, Delta is being penny wise and pound foolish on cutting their loyalty benefits.
What is this ‘eventually’ you speak of and there will be no difference between DL and F9? Never gonna happen. Truly absurd comment.

And ‘eventually’ people will vote with their wallets? Where have you been, that exactly what most pax do now. It is only the elites suffering over losing bennies that are complaining.

And what makes you think DL is different than the other airlines cutting benefits? DL is being tight fisted by the others aren’t? As said over and over, this is an industry issue, not a DL issue.

Once again way too many elites take this personally. It’s a biz thing. Period. If you have a problem with DL’s loyalty program, fly another airline but I can’t imagine where you think you can avoid this.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
OP, I was a Marriott guy for 15 years, and I will never step foot In one again. In that time I was assigned smoking rooms when I reserved non smoking. I often were assigned rooms by the ice maker. I was walked 3 times. All of this while a platinum member. In all of my complaints over the years about little things and not taking care of platinums only one hotel manager 'got it. The reason I left, they charged my card $3,000.00 for another guests bill and no one from the property would return my call after 2 days I called corporate and they had the manager finally call me. But it took 2 weeks. While Delta is far from perfect I don t think any program is much better or worse if you have a large sample group. We all have our stories good and bad. But after 30 years of 100% travel, I have learned the grass is not greener on the other program for long

So you hijack the thread to tell your hate for Marriott I have some Hilton and Avis stories.

FFP worked for airlines 10 yrs ago but don't any more. They can't just get rid of them so they are treating them like road kill, having us watch them get gradually smaller and smaller until one day they just disappear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.