Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

PANYNJ considering lifting the LGA perimeter rule

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/after-de...sco-1424896811

DL is probably quite happy after executing the slot transfer deal with US Airways to now control about 45% of LGA slots. Any guess as to effect on JFK/LGA ops?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Well it's about time. The sooner they stop screwing with market forces the better off we will be.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dmorbust
http://www.wsj.com/articles/after-de...sco-1424896811

DL is probably quite happy after executing the slot transfer deal with US Airways to now control about 45% of LGA slots. Any guess as to effect on JFK/LGA ops?
Obviously, this would be huge for DL. In terms of impact, I'd have to think that the bulk of the SFO/LAX/SEA flights would move to LGA, likely at the expense of some of the smaller destinations, or maybe some of the LGA-Other Hub frequency. The open question would be whether that loss would be offset via either increased gauge into LGA (in the case of drawdown of LGA-Other Hub frequency) or transfer to JFK (in the case of elimination/cutback on smaller destinations. For example, DL has something like 9 flights a day to RDU and 7 a day to MSP. I'd think they could steal a slot or two from each and backfill either with bigger planes or shifting some to JFK.

I will repeat myself a bit though... If this goes through, I think they should seize all the slots and re-auction them, with the funds going to help upgrade air traffic infrastructure in the region. While they are at it, do the same for JFK and EWR. I don't think DL should be handed a gift of a dominant position at an increasingly attractive LGA simply because they were there "first".
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
I see the PANYNJ has published passenger data for 2014. Delta now occupies the number one spot for domestic passengers when all the metro airports are combined. They still lag United hugely in international passengers although some of that might be as a result of joint ventures.

I think opening up LGA would help cement Delta's strong domestic position but might also complicate it's international operations out of JFK.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
This is definitely an investor friendly news, not to mention passenger.

Tho it may become more confusing how they decide to build bank of flights.

Jiburi
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Obviously, this would be huge for DL. In terms of impact, I'd have to think that the bulk of the SFO/LAX/SEA flights would move to LGA, likely at the expense of some of the smaller destinations, or maybe some of the LGA-Other Hub frequency. The open question would be whether that loss would be offset via either increased gauge into LGA (in the case of drawdown of LGA-Other Hub frequency) or transfer to JFK (in the case of elimination/cutback on smaller destinations. For example, DL has something like 9 flights a day to RDU and 7 a day to MSP. I'd think they could steal a slot or two from each and backfill either with bigger planes or shifting some to JFK.

I will repeat myself a bit though... If this goes through, I think they should seize all the slots and re-auction them, with the funds going to help upgrade air traffic infrastructure in the region. While they are at it, do the same for JFK and EWR. I don't think DL should be handed a gift of a dominant position at an increasingly attractive LGA simply because they were there "first".
If the NYC slots go up for auction, then the same should happen for at least the DCA slots, if not also BWI and IAD, since DCA slots were given up by DL in exchange for property rights on LGA slots.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the NYC slots go up for auction, then the same should happen for at least the DCA slots, if not also BWI and IAD, since DCA slots were given up by DL in exchange for property rights on LGA slots.
Neither BWI nor IAD are slot-controlled, but I agree that DCA slots (and DAL gates) should also be put up for auction on a periodic basis.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Wish they'd get rid of the perimeter rule at DCA, too.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Wish they'd get rid of the perimeter rule at DCA, too.
This would result in a lot of cuts to existing frequencies. It could also make IAD international connections harder to time from some airports. [However, I hate IAD, so I try to avoid IAD connections anyway.]
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In terms of impact, I'd have to think that the bulk of the SFO/LAX/SEA flights would move to LGA, likely at the expense of some of the smaller destinations, or maybe some of the LGA-Other Hub frequency.
I don't think DL could get all it would want in long-distance LGA flights by upgauging. My guess is that small stations with already marginal CRJ/ERJ service would feel a big hit: airports like PWM, BGR, CAE, GSP...

DL has already accomplished a lot of upgauging out of LGA - only about 20 daily departures are on 50-seaters any more.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Neither BWI nor IAD are slot-controlled, but I agree that DCA slots (and DAL gates) should also be put up for auction on a periodic basis.
DAL gates shouldn't be up for auction regularly, but reviewed whenever leases become expired orh legislative acts create additional gate space.

DL should give up on DAL and let a small new entrant (eg anyone but SWA or AA) get a stab at running flights to destinations beside ATL

Last edited by bayhouse; Feb 26, 2015 at 2:53 am Reason: Meow
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
If this were to happen, it would be a boon for the business traveler. I would if the BA flight from LCY would flying LGA instead of JFK. Imagine a NS from LGA to LCY. $$$
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
If this were to happen, it would be a boon for the business traveler. I would if the BA flight from LCY would flying LGA instead of JFK. Imagine a NS from LGA to LCY. $$$
I think that only foreign departure points that have preclearance would allow for a flight to LaGuardia, i.e DUB-LGA.

La Guardia lacks a federal border-clearance facility, which is needed to accept travelers from most international airports, and has little space to add one.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I think that only foreign departure points that have preclearance would allow for a flight to LaGuardia, i.e DUB-LGA.
That's exactly how BA runs its Babybus service (LCY-JFK with a fuel stop/preclearance in SNN). No reason they can't substitute LGA for JFK...and I imagine they might actually prefer it.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
That's exactly how BA runs its Babybus service (LCY-JFK with a fuel stop/preclearance in SNN). No reason they can't substitute LGA for JFK...and I imagine they might actually prefer it.
So everyone boarding LCY would need to get off at SNN, go through preclearance, and board again? What a waste of time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.