Wiki Posts
Search

Leave luggage 48 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Leave luggage 48 hours?

Say I arrive MSP Sunday evening with a checked baggage and a flight to AMS Tuesday evening. Can I just leave bags -- that is, if I don't pick up a bag and wait until Tuesday to pick it up, will it be will Delta baggage service to pick up on Tuesday evening?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:17 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I did it once at MDW, but my excuse was that my connecting flight was late and I was told that my bags wouldn't make it, so I didn't bother waiting for them. They saw that I was continuing on in 2 days and called me - and held them.

That said - - If your bag(s) are goin' round n' round on the belt, aren't you a little worried that someone might snag them? It happened to me at SFO when my bag missed the flight from LAX and came in on a later flight. SkyWest ended up having to pay me something like $1100. <Loooong story I posted here a couple years ago>
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Pick them up. There is a reasonable chance they would disappear or be inaccessible when you want to leave on Tuesday.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe. Or maybe they will ship it back to its origin or off to the lost luggage place near ATL or it gets stolen or damaged.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
If your bag(s) are goin' round n' round on the belt, aren't you a little worried that someone might snag them? It happened to me at SFO when my bag missed the flight from LAX and came in on a later flight. SkyWest ended up having to pay me something like $1100. <Loooong story I posted here a couple years ago>
There have been *sooo* many times my bags were already in the luggage office, for one reason or another / I'll look for the story.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pick them up. There is a reasonable chance they would disappear or be inaccessible when you want to leave on Tuesday.
Gotcha. I'll pick them up / look for a luggage hold service. Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even at MSP, I'd hesitate to leave the bags behind. SOP here seems to be that bags left on the belt are moved off to the side against a wall, where they can sit for a long time before they're moved to a secure location.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by kthomas
There have been *sooo* many times my bags were already in the luggage office, for one reason or another / I'll look for the story.

Gotcha. I'll pick them up / look for a luggage hold service. Thanks.
There is no luggage hold service at MSP. There are some lockers but they are inside security and I think will hold for only 24 hours.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by kthomas
Say I arrive MSP Sunday evening with a checked baggage and a flight to AMS Tuesday evening. Can I just leave bags -- that is, if I don't pick up a bag and wait until Tuesday to pick it up, will it be will Delta baggage service to pick up on Tuesday evening?

Thanks!
To ask the obvious, why not just take them to where you are staying?? To my knowledge airports in the US no longer have storage. And unfortunately there are no onsite hotels at MSP.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
To ask the obvious, why not just take them to where you are staying??
I frequently spend a nite or 2 in Chicago, but continue onward to sometimes 3 or 4 other cities. I have "stuff" with me that I don't need in Chicago, and would LUV to leave it at the baggage office til I'm on my way out of town.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
To ask the obvious, why not just take them to where you are staying?? To my knowledge airports in the US no longer have storage. And unfortunately there are no onsite hotels at MSP.
Dave has answered-- note I used example cities. It would just be more convenient. In AMS, for instance, with only 25 hours on the ground, I'll drop luggage, head to 'where I'm staying' with only what I need, and return heading onwards to a destination where I'll *need* the things in my bag...

In this case, there was a private drop at the US airport, but with shortened time to get where I needed to be, I didn't bother FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.