Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Reason Delta Removed Award Chart Because...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Reason Delta Removed Award Chart Because...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by LexPassenger
Dudes, Delta committed to the redemption rates for this year when the information was originally posted. We know perfectly well what to look for.
Please note what you are admitting if you say you do not. (It rhymes with "boron".)
So, how about this one? That's an incorrect, broken price. It should be maximum 75,000 miles according to the now-gone charts.

I'm pretty sure the charts got pulled so they wouldn't have to bother fixing these things (why would they?) or dealing with call-ins for any number of bad prices, with the agents seemingly forced to use the same interface as the caller. Now you can be laughed at as a "boron" for trying to get this ticket for the "correct" amount of miles, whatever that means now.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

The last large devaluation at short notice I know of was when we were warned of the drastic changes taking effect in Jan 2002 announced in Dec 2001.
It was actually changes to be implemented in January of 2003 announced from Delta Air Lines in December of 2002.

I should know because that is what prompted me to join FlyerTalk in the first place, as you can see by my join date.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
-NO low level awards if booked within 21 days of travel

[MY NOTE] Just had no trouble setting up a SAN-SLC freebie this weekend for 25,000 miles so your info is faulty
Just did a quick check. Only AS flights are showing available at the 12,500 mile level. The DL operated flights all start at 20,000 miles one-way. Bad luck for me that AS doesn't fly to PIT. Last minute international, including Mexico, etc, is outrageous. There used to be tons of last minute availability to MEX for 17.5K miles each way.

That said, since LOW level availability isn't going to be available at less than 21 days out on DL op'd flights, this means that SDC on domestic award tix will be impossible.

Delta committed to the redemption rates for this year when the information was originally posted.
Kindly, point to anything that says this.

Please note what you are admitting if you say you do not. (It rhymes with "boron".)
I'm pretty sure that name calling isn't permitted in the FT rules. While many people disagree with you, I'm pretty sure nobody resorted to name calling.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
While they do the lawyerly "we reserve the right to screw you out the wazoo" catechism fairly faithfully, Delta has yet to do that.

I've got to chime in here. If we haven't been "screwed out the wazoo" already, then I shudder to think what future "enhancements" Delta has instore for us.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Quote:

What?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by keloutwest
What?
Have you tried a search recently for an award ticket to anywhere less than 21 days from departure - on DL metal?

If not, you're in for a sudden awakening!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-domestic.html

Last edited by davetravels; Feb 20, 2015 at 3:09 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by davetravels
Quote:

What?

Have you tried a search recently for an award ticket to anywhere less than 21 days from departure - on DL metal?

If not, you're in for a sudden awakening!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-domestic.html
This is OT to this thread, but the thread discussing this 21 day thing has many holes. Not saying it's not true, but clearly it's not *always* true as a new rule.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:39 am

This is OT to this thread, but the thread discussing this 21 day thing has many holes. Not saying it's not true, but clearly it's not *always* true as a new rule.
Sorry to disagree, but, surely it's another factor in taking down the award chart. The new "close-in" fee is in miles - UA's is in cash.

I have yet to find LOW to anywhere on Delta operated flights close-in. I'm not saying that it's not there. Obviously, I can't check every possible combination that exists. The simplest example for me is, the hourly shuttle from LAX/SFO. I have yet to find a seat for 12,500 miles close-in.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by davetravels
Huge sign in the window of a bank - "FREE TOASTER WITH DEPOSIT"

Customer walks in and asks how much you hafto deposit to get the toaster.

Teller says $10,000

Customer says ,OK, I'll be back tomorrow.

Tomorrow, same customer walks in with $10,000 and asks about the free toaster.

Teller says - Oh, that was yesterday! Today you need to deposit $15,000!

Customer asks - Why? Is it a better toaster?

Teller, no. Same toaster as yesterday, but we just decided to change the rules without notice.

Customer: Didn't you know the rules were changing yesterday when I told you I'd be back today with the $10,000?

Can I toast a ham sandwhich in the toaster??
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Pretty much every big box retailer in the country?
Delta serves 333 destinations [http://news.delta.com/Stats-Facts]. If they have filed fares for every possible combination, then there are 333*332 city-pairs = 110556 possible city-pairs. That is the same as 110556 different products, or 110556 different combinations of sirloin/round burgers.
Walmart, Costco, Target, Walgreens, etc... all surely have way more than 110556 products (each product variation also is it's own entry, just like the burger mixture) in their databases.
Those stores can all instantly tell me the price of any of their products.

Lest we forget Amazon -- whose search box loads WAY faster than Deltas booking engine does.
Except a fare from AAA-BBB is not a product.

A fare from AAA-BBB on date X booked on date Y with terms of contract Z is the product.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Please note that quotes from xolinlevh in italics are interspersed with my notes:

-Removal of award charts

[MY NOTE] This is trivial.
Says you....
-Removal of extra award space for Amex holders

[MY NOTE] I know it's weird I don't carry Amex
Just because it doesnt affect you does not make it any less of a problem for others
-Removal of upgrades for PM on transcon (NO announcement/warning btw)

[MY NOTE] I'm Diamond, but I'm curious here. If you mean JFK-LAX I think that evolved after it was announced that NO ONE could upgrade, then Delta relented for Diamonds. It WAS announced in advance.
Your wrong. They originally made it a NO upgrade route, which was announced. Then they silently made it PM/DMs only. This ran for a while however few knew about it, you often had to call and have them add you to the upgrade list at T-6. Then about a month ago, as I said with NO warning, notice, post/tweet/etc, they decided PMs were no longer worthy of upgrades and it was now DM only
-Changes to SkyBonus (I dont use this so not too sure on specifics..)

[MY NOTE] Sgt Schultz defense
I have no idea what that means, sorry

[MY NOTE] Just had no trouble setting up a SAN-SLC freebie this weekend for 25,000 miles so your info is faulty
As others commented, i was referring to DL flights, sorry for not being clearer. please see here, here, or here, for more details.
-Something about holding back 2016 choice award selection

???????
According to what i read, those who have made status already in 2016 are not able to select their choice benefits yet. As im still a couple weeks from hitting PM for the year I cant say directly whats up with this
-Basically handing out status to west coast flyers

Also, ,?????? Being mostly these days a west coast flyer.
Numerous flight challenges, fly 4 flights get gold, 6 get plat, etc. Being sent out over and over lately.
I think the poster doth protest too much
Again, just because it doesnt affect you directly, or you dont understand something, does not make it any less of an issue for others

Last edited by xolinlevh; Feb 20, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Dudes, Delta committed to the redemption rates for this year when the information was originally posted. We know perfectly well what to look for.
As others posted, why the name calling? Everyone so far has been using examples and trying to articulately illustrate what we are talking about? If you feel we are all morons and such...kindly leave.

Originally Posted by paul21
So, how about this one? That's an incorrect, broken price. It should be maximum 75,000 miles according to the now-gone charts.

I'm pretty sure the charts got pulled so they wouldn't have to bother fixing these things (why would they?) or dealing with call-ins for any number of bad prices, with the agents seemingly forced to use the same interface as the caller. Now you can be laughed at as a "boron" for trying to get this ticket for the "correct" amount of miles, whatever that means now.
^^ exactly my point. Now that we dont have an award chart to tell us what this 'should' cost. Delta is free to charge whatever they want. Is it broken? Or is that simply the new cost for that flight?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I truly cannot believe that some people don't think the removal of these charts is a big deal. It is a HUGE deal... It is a continued attempt by this airline to change its program and hide information from its customers. It pains me to see this continued lack of transparency from Delta.

Add to the list of negatives the year:
Changes to the SkyClub Program
Removal of Meal Vouchers in instances where it was the AIRLINES FAULT
Removal of Information from EF
and what we are missing here is... Delta stalled forever and ever to release these award charts that had been promised. When they released them they swiftly removed them... Why?
Right now things are going well for Delta... but all good things must and will come to an end...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
Heard it before.... when they jacked up the M fares to rates higher than discount business: "Platinum members did not use their PMUs.... they told us they were not interested, so we listened reduced the number of PMUs we give them"... what a spin machine!
Not a spin machine, a sleaze machine. Combine this with RA's deliberate comments linking Gulf carriers to the September 11th attacks.

Wow how this airline has ethically fallen. How do these people sleep at night? Oh right, from counting dollars instead of sheep.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:04 am

exactly my point. Now that we dont have an award chart to tell us what this 'should' cost. Delta is free to charge whatever they want. Is it broken? Or is that simply the new cost for that flight?
You are feeling the frustration of others because the award chart never told you what an award flight should cost, it gave you a lower bound.

People took the lower bound, or best deal, to mean, what I should pay.

Picking one example like below, a direct hub-to-hub on a heavy route, popular travel day popular time and expecting the lowest redemption award rate didn't happen previously, now, or in future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.