Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Link to automated claim form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

Post away DL crediting 2500 miles.
Please list the date, arrival time, and airport and when your bags made it.
  • Sample: 2/23/15 MDT 3:15 PM 28 minutes
Print Wikipost

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
They might go bankrupt from PHX alone.

It's always the running joke for me and my parents when I travel to see them. How long will it take at PHX for my bags. I think only one out of 25 or so have been under 25 minutes since we started the game while they were waiting to pick me up. Just last Nov. my wife and I waited 41 minutes.

Wish it was a different month, as I only have 2 flights in March, Return to MSP on March 8th, and departing MSP to OGG on the 18th, not returning until 4/1.

So I doubt I will get anything from this one.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know whether the offer would apply to arriving domestic segments of an international itinerary. For example, AMS-DTW-MSP, where I walk the bag through customs at DTW.
I can't see why it wouldn't apply at MSP.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by berliner5000
What does this say to the average joe flyer? Delta guarantees payment up until March 31, but then nothing? Even if they do advertise this on every billboard possible, it's only for the next 40 days. Everyone is commenting on how they're going to take advantage of this because DL is terrible at delivering checked luggage within 20 minutes -- this promotion (as we all know) isn't going to change that. At least Alaska's guarantee offers $25 instead of the miles, which is something that average joe would appreciate.

Also, 2,500 RDMs means very little because the average flyer (no status, no DL amex card, etc.) has to spend 5,000$ (before government taxes and fees) to earn a roundtrip domestic ticket (excluding partner flights).

This promotion is a joke.
If one looks at it another way, those 2500 RDMs are the equivalent of a kettle spending $500 on DL, which is about two cheap coach RTs. This way it seems like a generous amount of bonus miles for a (hopefully) short wait for the bag.

OTOH, if we use one cent per RDM as the value of miles, then 2500 RDMs = $25, which is roughly the cheapest checked bag fee DL charges (first checked bag for a domestic coach flight with no status and no DL AmEx card).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If one looks at it another way, those 2500 RDMs are the equivalent of a kettle spending $500 on DL, which is about two cheap coach RTs. This way it seems like a generous amount of bonus miles for a (hopefully) short wait for the bag.

OTOH, if we use one cent per RDM as the value of miles, then 2500 RDMs = $25, which is roughly the cheapest checked bag fee DL charges (first checked bag for a domestic coach flight with no status and no DL AmEx card).
I don't disagree with you on this: under the new system, Joe would have to spend 500$ to earn those 2,500 RDMs. However, it still means that Joe has to spend another 4,500$ on flights. (I'm not sure if EC purchases earn miles, I don't think they do though). If you're only flying once or twice a year, it still is going to take you a long time to get those miles.

As for the 2500 RDMs = $25, I think (at least on DL and possibly UA) that that notion is gone. Under the new system it takes way too long to earn RDMs (if you don't have a credit card, such as myself) for a ticket anywhere. Personally, I'm hesitant to use my miles because I know that they're much harder to replenish.
But I digress.

In any event, I'll reiterate this point: If DL was sincere about this fast bag guarantee, they would make it a permanent part of their skymiles program (since you have to be a skymiles member to benefit) and perhaps work towards accomplishing what Alaska's already done: speedy delivery of baggage to the carousel.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL could also offer the timely bag guarantee only to elites or SkyPriority people who are entitled to the yellow priority bag tags.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Happy to see it. Baggage times in SEA were BRUTAL for a long time. Lately they have been on the ball. So, overall, good incentive for DL baggage to get it done quickly. I know they are already scanning the bags as they get put on the belt (when you check the app it says: delivered to carousel __).

But...we know how the "Best Fare Guarantee" works. I'm not gonna hold my breath for any extra miles or $, but HOPEFULLY if nothing else they move quickly with it.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:31 pm

This might make me be inclined to check some bags in March to see whether I win the lottery.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ashill
...ntee/index.jsp"]Fine print[/URL]: "lost, mishandled, and damaged bags are excluded". The 26 hour delay probably counts as a lost or mishandled bag, so haha, no claim for you, says Delta!

LOL... 21 minutes and you get miles. 21 hours and nada.

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Through March 31st, then it will go back to the old ways.
If they can perform well thru March 31, why can't they do so indefinitely? Why are they not willing to put something at stake permanently?

There is a difference between short term marketing spin and long term commitment to better customer service.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:02 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If they can perform well thru March 31, why can't they do so indefinitely? Why are they not willing to put something at stake permanently?

There is a difference between short term marketing spin and long term commitment to better customer service.
That sums up exactly what is wrong with this. Why even bother Delta?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I never get my bag in 20 minutes at my home station, SJC. I'm happy if my bag comes before half the non-prioirty bags.

Last time I flew, it took 14 hours for me to receive my bag. It got to the airport on another airline about 4.5 hours after I arrived. That has to be worth more than 2,500 miles.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orr333
They will give away the store at PBI. #worstbaggaeserviceever
Very true...sometimes takes 45 minutes on DL, even with priority tags.
Yet when I fly AA into PBI and check my luggage, it is usually on the belt within 5 minutes of arriving at baggage claim.

I rarely check baggage, but had to for a bit last year after spraining a few body parts. The contrast in times between the 2 airlines was interesting..

Last edited by pbjag; Feb 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

I think it's a data collection excercise. They want to know how good/bad they are at getting bags out. Some stations like the hubs and SFO are actually pretty good. Some, like SJC just stink.

I know I've complained when the Priority Bags don't come out first or it takes 30+ minutes to get a bag, but I also look at it as a rewards system (DL messes up and I collect more miles).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I have two upcoming domestic flights where I only plan on taking a back pack for carry on. I am tempted to take and check in an empty roller board just for the heck of it. Maybe I will get lucky and the empty roller board will come out <20 min,
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:41 pm

LOL... 21 minutes and you get miles. 21 hours and nada.

It could also be they want a time limit to see how many miles they give out and see if they need to adjust up or down, or if its just not as feasible for a much larger network carrier than AS with their much more limited route structure.

I know international bags don't qualify, but they still take time for the employees the do the domestic bags (just trying to head off the inevitable argument)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Per Delta.com at:

http://www.delta.com/contactus/pages...ntee/index.jsp

"Time to baggage claim will be as measured by Delta's baggage tracking system, where available; lost, mishandled, and damaged bags are excluded. Oversize and overweight baggage and special items are not eligible."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.