Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Link to automated claim form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

Post away DL crediting 2500 miles.
Please list the date, arrival time, and airport and when your bags made it.
  • Sample: 2/23/15 MDT 3:15 PM 28 minutes
Print Wikipost

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:28 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I wonder how Delta is going to check bag arrival times. Otherwise, you just could say (lie) your bag didn't arrive within 20 mins and get the 2,500 miles.
Did you ever track your bag on the DL app? At every point where your bag tag is scanned, I believe it's clocked to the second! It will definitely <almost always> be scanned as it's placed on the carousel.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels
Did you ever track your bag on the DL app?
No.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"We're committed to providing you with reliable and on-time baggage service every time you fly. That's why we're backing your bags with a guarantee: if your checked bag doesn't arrive at the carousel in 20 minutes or less after any domestic flight through March 31, 2015, you are eligible to receive 2,500 bonus miles. Just complete the below form within three days of your flight's arrival."

Interesting.

So, I guess this is a new <temporary> incentive to get people to check their bags?
Maybe this is aimed at the spring break crowd and trying to ge them to check bags. It's a fairly heavy leisure/kettle travel period.

It's also interesting that international flights, even arrivals to the USA including those that are precleared, are excluded.

I wonder how Delta is going to check bag arrival times. Otherwise, you just could say (lie) your bag didn't arrive within 20 mins and get the 2,500 miles.
If you look at the bag tracking function on the DL app, the last indication is very close to the baggage claim belt. [I forget the exact words that appear.] Maybe this would be used as the proof.

The T&C sound like the timer is applied to when a particular passenger's bag appears, versus when the first bags from the flight appear, as I had previously assumed. Yet for some large aircraft, it can take a while for the bags to come down the chute onto the belt even if they're arriving one right after another, as tightly backed onto the moving belt down to the carousal as possible.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I rarely check my bags which is due to RDU being my home airport. My experience is that RDU and SEA have the worst baggage handling in the network. The "Priority" tags mean nothing (actually less than nothing) at RDU. I believe the handlers intentionally put them on the belt last. After several weeks of TATL/TPAC trips and frustration with my "Priority" tagged bag being the last one delivered, I have brought the Red Coat to the claim area and she watched the Priority tags being delivered last on a few occasions, with mine being last once while she was watching with me. There have been a few times that I have ripped off my priority tag and given it to the Delta agent so they can use it for training. DL also gets a call every time from me on the poor service at RDU and there has been no change.

On a typical day in RDU, luggage takes 30-40 from time of landing. If this plan is true and you want SMs, I would suggest adding RDU to your itinerary.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
A few years back, my bags were delayed in ATL three times in two weeks, to the point where DL had the bags delivered to my house. It was 45+ minutes before I gave up. It was the same woman delivering the bags each time. This post made me realize that for the most part, my checked bags are now going around the carousel by the time I get to baggage claim. IMO, if true, the best part of this rumor is that DL has improved baggage handling to where they can make this guaranty. While on this board it's heresy to express something can be better than points, not wasting time waiting for bags trumps getting points!

While I don't usually check bags, sometimes I've got supplies taking up a second suitcase or get a last minute SB and check a bag at the gate. OT: Most of the gates now even have yellow tags!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No more stopping at a lounge upon arrival if you have a checked bag!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Here's the online / app baggage tracking info from my most recent trip:
It's in reverse chronological order - Most recent posted at the top.

Baggage Tracking History
All baggage tracking activity is displayed in the local time of the airport location.

Date/Time - Airport - Status

Feb 11, 2015 09:26:00 PM PIT Delivered to Claim Area 1

Feb 11, 2015 07:12:00 PM ATL Bag On Plane DL 1296 ATL - PIT Feb 11

Feb 11, 2015 03:05:00 PM MDW Bag On Plane DL 1116 MDW - ATL Feb 11

Feb 11, 2015 02:36:00 PM MDW Bag Checked-In for
DL 1116 MDW - ATL Feb 11
DL 1296 ATL - PIT Feb 11
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I rarely check my bags which is due to RDU being my home airport....

On a typical day in RDU, luggage takes 30-40 from time of landing. If this plan is true and you want SMs, I would suggest adding RDU to your itinerary.
Even RDU has improved lately. They've even apparently replaced the colorblind baggage handlers who couldn't differentiate yellow.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No more stopping at a lounge upon arrival if you have a checked bag!
Not really sure why this would matter, since the times are all clocked in.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
AS has a similar program. The time starts when the plane arrives at the gate. It is promoted on their flights. There is also an AS rep in the baggage claim area who will know when the 20 minutes are up and they need to start handing out the $25 vouchers.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...guarantee.aspx
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Here's the online / app baggage tracking info from my most recent trip:
It's in reverse chronological order - Most recent posted at the top.

Baggage Tracking History
All baggage tracking activity is displayed in the local time of the airport location.

Date/Time - Airport - Status

Feb 11, 2015 09:26:00 PM PIT Delivered to Claim Area 1

Feb 11, 2015 07:12:00 PM ATL Bag On Plane DL 1296 ATL - PIT Feb 11

Feb 11, 2015 03:05:00 PM MDW Bag On Plane DL 1116 MDW - ATL Feb 11

Feb 11, 2015 02:36:00 PM MDW Bag Checked-In for
DL 1116 MDW - ATL Feb 11
DL 1296 ATL - PIT Feb 11
interesting, but not really valuable without knowing when 1296 actually blocked in (FlightAware says 857pm, but that's most likely landing time rather than gate time)
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
interesting, but not really valuable without knowing when 1296 actually blocked in (FlightAware says 857pm, but that's most likely landing time rather than gate time)
It's VERY valuable to people who posted above that didn't know that this detailed baggage info existed.

That said, I called and was told that DL1296 on Feb 11 arrived at the gate in PIT at 9:09 PM
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by jrl767
With Alaska's BSG, the clock starts when the aircraft brakes are set. This equates to the Arrival time on the airline site/app.

When you hear the chime that it's okay to unbuckle your seat belt, start your timer!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
This is an interesting line:

Itineraries that include Delta Connection and codeshare flights are eligible as long as the final leg is marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines
In other words, if you're flying Delta Connection, don't bother claiming miles.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news, albeit only until March 31st.^ Too bad international flights, which most of mine are, are excluded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.