Wiki Posts
Search

Expiring SWUs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Expiring SWUs

I know DL policy is not to extend SWUs under any circumstances. I have four SWUs {not GUCs} that will expire at the end of this month.

I know where two more international trips are going but I do not know the dates. I could purchase two SWU tickets now then pay the change fee to the actual date. My concern, however, is that one venue is so unstable it might move to another location.

Are there not times when a SWU cannot be applied to another ticket? If not, then I could purchase two refundable B fare tickets and go from there.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 28, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
Are there not times when a SWU cannot be applied to another ticket? If not, then I could purchase two refundable B fare tickets and go from there.
Kiss them goodbye.... They have to be ticketed before the expiration date and I am fairly sure they trip can not be changed or you lose them.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Technically for RUCs and GUCs, travel must also be completed by the expiration date of the cert, which is a change from the way it used to be with the old SWUs. I have not tested whether there are any exceptions to this policy, but I suspect if you look closely at the T&Cs you will find this language there.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I am talking about SWUs that expire by the end of the month and so travel must be completed within the next 12 months. I have already applied GUCs for this year's flights to HKG and SYD.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:44 am

I am talking about SWUs that expire by the end of the month and so travel must be completed within the next 12 months. I have already applied GUCs for this year's flights to HKG and SYD.
From the T&C,

Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.

I ran into this issue a couple of years ago when I tried to change a flight after the expiration date on a ticket booked before the SWU expired. Any change to the flight is considered a reissue. In addition waitlisting for a flight after the expiration date does not work either. It has to be ticketed by the expiration date.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Feb 16, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Just to make certain I understand DL legal language, so buying a changeable B fare to MNL would be a "reissue" if the dates change within the original 12 months of the SWUs being applied?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:00 pm

Just to make certain I understand DL legal language, so buying a changeable B fare to MNL would be a "reissue" if the dates change within the original 12 months of the SWUs being applied?
Yes. This would require a reissue of the ticket and the SWU.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Actually it doesn't require reissue of the SWU... once the original B fare ticket is reissued, the SWU is closed and 'locked in' to that ticket. You can make a change to the ticket dates and still get in OP, assuming inventory is available. I've had to do this where I had purchased a ticket several months past the exp date and had it reissued, then had to change dates of my travel by a week or so, and they were able to use the existing ticket/swu for the upgrade. Just required reissue of the ticket and notation in the PNR. If you're looking at changing routing then you would probably have more trouble.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Kiss them goodbye.... They have to be ticketed before the expiration date and I am fairly sure they trip can not be changed or you lose them.
I have always made sure they are TICKETED prior to expiration date, but I remember DL claiming that this wasn't necessary -- they merely needed to be "tagged" to the reservation prior to expiration.

ANyone have any experience. I have 4 getting ready to go to the trash
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Actually it doesn't require reissue of the SWU... once the original B fare ticket is reissued, the SWU is closed and 'locked in' to that ticket. You can make a change to the ticket dates and still get in OP, assuming inventory is available. I've had to do this where I had purchased a ticket several months past the exp date and had it reissued, then had to change dates of my travel by a week or so, and they were able to use the existing ticket/swu for the upgrade. Just required reissue of the ticket and notation in the PNR. If you're looking at changing routing then you would probably have more trouble.
I just bought a refundable B/SWU ticket to MNL hoping you are right. I think I have done this before but my memory is hazy on this point.

I certainly hope the MNL trip is confirmed as it would give me four more rides in 73A, my favorite DL seat!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have/had some old SWUs that expired a few weeks ago. Before then, I purchased the tickets, confirmed upgrades on all segments at time of purchase, and had the tickets reissued.

Still, today I was shocked to see those SWUs marked as expired in my account, even though they're attached to particular ticket numbers with the reissued tickets and PNRs all looking fine. In the past, I never noticed SWUs being marked as expired, although I never had any expire unused. I certainly did do the travel after the SWU expiration dates on some previous trips. I hope this doesn't mean that DL is handling old SWUs differently--and more like GUCs--over the next year. RIP
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My old SWUs from last year that were previously marked as 'closed' turned to 'expired' the day after the exp date and remained there until they just vanished from my acct. Seems they linger around until something gets cleaned up in the system sometimes.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

today is the deadline for the last SWUs

If others like me, got SWUs on the final day they were available, one should remember that today is the last day to use them.

I purchased two refundable B fares a few days ago and was assured that linking to the SWUs would keep them from expiring today.

Today, according to DL.com, the SWUs have already expired (well before midnight in my time zone). I called DL and they reissued the tickets and claim that in their system the SWUs show up as closed rather than expired.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If others like me, got SWUs on the final day they were available, one should remember that today is the last day to use them.

I purchased two refundable B fares a few days ago and was assured that linking to the SWUs would keep them from expiring today.

Today, according to DL.com, the SWUs have already expired (well before midnight in my time zone). I called DL and they reissued the tickets and claim that in their system the SWUs show up as closed rather than expired.
It's good that you caught this immediately. It could have become a big problem.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
It is my understanding the flight has to be COMPLETED poor to explanation.
I have heard that is not impossible to call the DM desk (not during a time of mass weather problems) and using "honey" get them extended. That being said, if that happens you are probably not going to be able to make changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.