WN's New Marketing Push in ATL

Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, Mariott PFL, Hertz Prez Circle
WN's New Marketing Push in ATL

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/sou...ampaign/nj2X9/
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:21 pm

Better late than never, I guess; they cut ATL capacity by over 15% last year.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Should make for some great ads. "We bought the low fare airline based in ATL, downsized our flights, and upsized our fares!"

David
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I find this amusing from the article . . . .

"But Atlanta-based Delta has said it offers other amenities like a global route network, a first class cabin and airport clubs."

Pardon my sense of humor . . . .

My take . . . .

We, at Delta, have amenities that Southwest doesn't have, like, Biscoff cookies, Isaac Mizrahi lotions in our lavatories, and, oh yeah - - - A GLOBAL ROUTE NETWORK!!!

Is that considered an anenity?!?

Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
PR spin does not have to make sense. It only has to impress the gullible.

And, we've been told that this is OK... that the gullible are to blame for believing it.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
PR spin does not have to make sense. It only has to impress the gullible.

And, we've been told that this is OK... that the gullible are to blame for believing it.

I actually think the "You don't have to be Diamond, Platinum, or Pewter" line is pretty creative. Good for WN. Competition is a good thing!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I have noticed that some of WN's billboards in ATL are very out-of-date. For example, the one on I75/I85 North before Turner Field, announcing new service to DAL ("beginning Nov 02"). I'm surprised that the company isn't more on-point with updating their messages around the city.

Last edited by DiscoPapa; Feb 1, 2015 at 5:00 pm Reason: North, not south. :)
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by DiscoPapa
I have noticed that some of WN's billboards in ATL are very out-of-date. For example, the one on I75/I85 North before Turner Field, announcing new service to DAL ("beginning Nov 02"). I'm surprised that the company isn't more on-point with updating their messages around the city.
I was unaware that there was anything outside the confines of the airport!

Huh... Maybe I'll have to go on an Atlanta Safari soon!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I was unaware that there was anything outside the confines of the airport!

Huh... Maybe I'll have to go on an Atlanta Safari soon!
Oh, y'er really missin' out! Atlanta has an absolute wealth of fine restaurants to choose from!

This one, <I understand>, actually has a branch in ATL Terminal F!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:18 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Southwest's ads are vague and do nothing to sell the company to potential customers??

For example, that sample ad in the article: “Atlanta, we don’t care if you’re diamond, platinum or pewter, Heart means you don’t need miles to earn these smiles.” It's almost like they know that they can't compete on service or quality of product, so they instead choose to vaguely mock the competition instead of focusing on ways that they are better than it. Delta's ads tend to be very product/service focused, usually focusing on improvements like the flat beds, power ports, first class upgrades, Sky Club, or at least the 'enhancements' to the mileage programs. On the other hand, Southwest's ads either vaguely tout the airline with a smug 'fly us, we're better' attitude (without quantifying any actual reasons why), or advertise 'new' service to destinations served by AirTran since the 1990's, and also have hourly service on DL compared to the 3-4 flights a day that Southwest operates to many of it's destinations.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Oh, y'er really missin' out! Atlanta has an absolute wealth of fine restaurants to choose from!

This one, <I understand>, actually has a branch in ATL Terminal F!
AND C concourse.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
How about 'We spent 3 1/2 years euthanizing the airline with business class and seat asignments, cutting frequencies and destinations from Atlanta. Come enjoy the LUV!'
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
Am I the only one who thinks Southwest's ads are vague and do nothing to sell the company to potential customers??

For example, that sample ad in the article: Atlanta, we dont care if youre diamond, platinum or pewter, Heart means you dont need miles to earn these smiles. It's almost like they know that they can't compete on service or quality of product, so they instead choose to vaguely mock the competition instead of focusing on ways that they are better than it. Delta's ads tend to be very product/service focused, usually focusing on improvements like the flat beds, power ports, first class upgrades, Sky Club, or at least the 'enhancements' to the mileage programs. On the other hand, Southwest's ads either vaguely tout the airline with a smug 'fly us, we're better' attitude (without quantifying any actual reasons why), or advertise 'new' service to destinations served by AirTran since the 1990's, and also have hourly service on DL compared to the 3-4 flights a day that Southwest operates to many of it's destinations.
Agreed. The Southwest ads are really bad and they embody everything I dislike about Southwest.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:21 am
Used to be hamajicky

If WN was serious about getting origination travel out of Atlanta, they'd do what DL is doing in SEA: fast track elite status, replace the nonstops they took away from FL, and start a fare ware with DL on certain routes.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow

I actually think the "You don't have to be Diamond, Platinum, or Pewter" line is pretty creative. Good for WN. Competition is a good thing!
I agree, particularly since Delta has gutted the lower Sky members and Diamond is the only tier that matters anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.