Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overspending the Skymiles AMEX limit...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hi Folks,

Maybe this should be in the AMEX forum - But I thought that I would ask here first. I have a Gold DL Skymiles AMEX card purely for the purposes of getting the MQD waiver. I run a couple of small businesses and put an average of about $40-60k/month on my cards. So, I usually just max out my ($25k credit limit) Skymiles card in January and voila - No more MQD issues for the year.

My question - I made a mistake this month and charged some expenses to the card by mistake - overcharging the card by $15k ($40k charged on the card with $25k limit). AMEX still let the charges go through and didn't charge me any fees, etc. Is it normal for AMEX to allow this overspending?

...wish I hadn't done this BTW because MR points on my Platinum AMEX are way more valuable than Skymiles...

TFD
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Is it normal for AMEX to allow this overspending?TFD
Yes - but credit history etc is taken into consideration. I went over 5000$ once but there was no problem. (I was late getting my expenses in and booked a load more flights etc.

BTW a DL Platinum Amex still gets you the MQD waiver and when youget to 50K spend you get another 10K MQMfor a total of 20K MQM (the first 10k comes at 25K$ spend).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.