Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

United leaves Dallas Love Field and gates going to SWA.

Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

Wow! Delta has been trying to get gates at DAL. United just announced they are leaving Love Field and have sub-leased their 2 gates to Southwest in a long term deal.

Article says the DOJ and City of Dallas have approved. I can't believe they would allow SWA to control 2 more gates.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...-service.html/
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
LOL I'd better start hearing some apologies from the UA fanboys. They swore that DAL was going to be an important station to UA.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
UA finally found a profitable way to use the gates at LUV--by renting them out to WN.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I find it absolutely perplexing that somehow WN as the largest domestic carrier in the US could be in a better position to argue that they deserve those gates as opposed to DL. Boggles the mind.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:43 pm

DL was not party to the Wright Amendment agreement so they had/have no right to any gates---end of story. The two gates are UA's to use or sublease and WN was probably willing to pay a price UA could not refuse.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:44 pm

The entire situation at DAL is so obviously illegal I am surprised that someone hasn't filed a lawsuit yet.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

There is nothing at all illegal about it. That is the way the agreement was drafted and approved by all parties involved.

WN is allowing DL to use a few slots and may continue to do so but that is up to WN to decide. DL has no legal or other standing at DAL airport.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
DL was not party to the Wright Amendment agreement so they had/have no right to any gates---end of story. The two gates are UA's to use or sublease and WN was probably willing to pay a price UA could not refuse.
The slightest threat of a lawsuit was apparently enough to cause a mad scramble to find room for Delta. UA fanboys said similar things "end of story" "UA is expanding" at that time as well. Wouldn't be surprised to find that this entire "agreement" is one day overturned by a court.

Of course- they could always just wait for Virgin America to go bankrupt..
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There is nothing at all illegal about it. That is the way the agreement was drafted and approved by all parties involved.

WN is allowing DL to use a few slots and may continue to do so but that is up to WN to decide. DL has no legal or other standing at DAL airport.
The fact that an agreement was drafted and approved has nothing to do with the legality of it.

Even that fact that the DOJ is involved is not a guarantee of anything other than absurd complexity and political double dealing and ulterior motives.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:00 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ort-concludes/

http://observer.com/2014/10/fed-up-w...uclear-option/

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 31, 2015 at 10:35 am Reason: Removed off topic personal remarks
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I've said it before, but slot-controlled or gate-controlled airports should put the slots and gates up for bid on a regular basis. There is no reason that WN should have a monopoly at DAL (or DL should have slots at JFK) simply due to first-mover advantage. If the asset is valuable, and clearly it is if UA is leasing them, then put them up for auction and let the public benefit. There is no reason UA should benefit from something they won't use.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ort-concludes/

http://observer.com/2014/10/fed-up-w...uclear-option/

Would you like some more, or would you prefer to quit and go home to your basement now?
No, I think I've made my point here.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Good for MEM. Its world will be reopened.

MEM, you once again will be able to move about the country, and not have to connect in ATL.

It's the big picture, folks.

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I find it absolutely perplexing that somehow WN as the largest domestic carrier in the US could be in a better position to argue that they deserve those gates as opposed to DL. Boggles the mind.
What boggles the mind is that someone from Chicago doesn't quite get the market dynamics created by two metro area airports.

What was MDW before WN but a moribund airport, and Chicagoans benefit everyday from a healthy, vital airfare marketplace, with many choices.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 27, 2015 at 11:39 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
This whole thing at DAL seems like a mess. You have one airline that will control 90% of the gates there in 1.5 months and the second airline that is not exactly the country's most well run airline getting handed the remaining gates.

This leaves DL in a position to sue again I guess.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hazelrah
What boggles the mind is that someone from Chicago doesn't quite get the market dynamics created by two metro area airports.

What was MDW before WN but a moribund airport, and Chicagoans benefit everyday from a healthy, vital airfare marketplace, with many choices.
I'm not sure I understand the need for such a rude response.

The situation between DAL and MDW are different. In DAL all but a couple of the gates are controlled by one airline and they have created an essential monopoly that prohibits anyone else from serving the market. As for MDW, There are multiple gates available for and capacity to accommodate new carriers.

The issues is not what the airports were before, but what they are now and while one might think that two airports in a market means you can look holistically about competition across all airports in the market you're wrong. If that were the case everyone would not be fighting for slots at DCA or LGA and would be happy to increase service at the more distant airports like IAD, BWI and the like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.