Reload this Page >

City Pairs - Federal Government Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

City Pairs - Federal Government Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by rob0225
The office I work in, they must take the least expensive flight. We fly ATL-DTW quite a bit with both of them being DL hubs but are often put on SouthWest because it is the lowest cost airline for that route.

As others have mentioned it will depend on your office and how strict they are on taking the lowest cost option.
I'm not sure that it's an exception, but in my experience the one-way fares listed on CityPairs has been the MAXIMUM amount that the Federal Government would reimburse. For me, LGA to DCA roundtrip is definitely cheaper using CityPairs (less than $150), so I'm always stuck on USAir. However, I have colleagues flying TLH to DCA where they would allow them to shop on their own for a lower fare because a round-trip using CityPairs would be about $550 round trip on Delta.

The caveat, however, is that fares purchased through the CityPairs program have always been flexible. Last minute changes are always possible, and the airlines will not charge the Federal Government a change fee even for the same class ticket. If you purchase on your own and a last minute change is needed, then you are on your own for the change fee.

Edited to add: If you would like the Federal Government to reserve and pay for the ticket first, it must be done according to the CityPairs program. Any fare lower or on another carrier, you would have to pay for first and seek reimbursement later. Based on this, if you purchase your own fares and if something happens to you during flight, I surmise that the Government can argue about who's liability it is...

Last edited by LGANightOwl; Jan 30, 2015 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Often1
This is especially true for fare basis. Far from all government travel is booked in Y(CA) and there is growing pressure based on budget constraints for agencies to mandate the use of more restrictive fare bases which are not flexible.
You have a source/link for this assertion?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
I'm not sure that it's an exception, but in my experience the one-way fares listed on CityPairs has been the MAXIMUM amount that the Federal Government would reimburse. For me, LGA to DCA roundtrip is definitely cheaper using CityPairs (less than $150), so I'm always stuck on USAir. However, I have colleagues flying TLH to DCA where they would allow them to shop on their own for a lower fare because a round-trip using CityPairs would be about $550 round trip on Delta.
Are you authorized to use any of the Washington Metropolitan airports? Are you authorized to use all 3 NYC airports? When I was Washington D.C. 'burb based I was authorized to use all 3 (BWI, DCA, and IAD).

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
The caveat, however, is that fares purchased through the CityPairs program have always been flexible. Last minute changes are always possible, and the airlines will not charge the Federal Government a change fee even for the same class ticket. If you purchase on your own and a last minute change is needed, then you are on your own for the change fee.
Do a quick google and most federal agencies espouse the benefits of the city-pairs program and recognize it for the best value that it is, including the largest Federal agency - DoD

Last edited by hazelrah; Jan 30, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by hazelrah
Are you authorized to use any of the Washington Metropolitan airports? Are you authorized to use all 3 NYC airports? When I was Washington D.C. 'burb based I was authorized to use all 3 (BWI, DCA, and IAD) and I did.
Yes, we are authorized to use any of the airports close by. However, in general, it has to be the lowest total cost. Meaning, I live closer to LGA, so unless I can justify a longer and costlier cabfare to JFK for the same destination, I will not be able to just ask for a flight out of JFK (unless the JFK flight is so much cheaper that it outweighs the additional expense of the cab ride). With the USAir shuttle flights out of LGA, it's hard to justify flying to/from any airport when you're travelling between New York City and Washington.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Further , Rail travel , as long as it is economical and supports the mission is preferred and requires no justification.
Well, except for "extra-fare" trains, such as the Acela, which generally require justification.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I believe use of the contract city pairs has always been mandated.
I stand somewhat corrected; I guess what I meant to say is that it was mandated but rarely enforced especially when you justify that the non-contract carrier was cheaper, had better schedule, no charge for bags, etc. Now we aren't able to do even that; if there is no flight available you have to request CTO assistance and hope that they book you on someone else.

And I realize we're talking about DL, but I've found that the issue with WN as contract carrier is that they don't display real time availability or YCA fares thus requiring booking thru CTO. DTS shows false availability; the limited availability non YCA fares, display in the screen, but it really is showing schedule not actual seats/fare availability. I've tried explaining this to our travel office to no avail.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by njcommodore
That's not quite true, I know many gov travelers that are able to steer travel to a particular carrier while still following the rules. Part of that will depend on the agency's requirements to use the lowest available fare or gov fare.
IME this ebbs and flows in DoD; some years they give no quarter at all. To some extent I think it has to do with the carriers' offer to give the gov't a low fare only as long as they funnel ALL traffic that way. At least that is how it was explained to me during one of the stricter years.

Anyway I stand by my "big picture" statement, which is that if you travel many different places, expect many different carriers, with limited ability (if at all) to direct to one carrier. Thus expect to be dealing with many FF programs. Specifically answering the OP's question...though yes, YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
IME this ebbs and flows in DoD; some years they give no quarter at all. To some extent I think it has to do with the carriers' offer to give the gov't a low fare only as long as they funnel ALL traffic that way. At least that is how it was explained to me during one of the stricter years.

Anyway I stand by my "big picture" statement, which is that if you travel many different places, expect many different carriers, with limited ability (if at all) to direct to one carrier. Thus expect to be dealing with many FF programs. Specifically answering the OP's question...though yes, YMMV.
One has to understand how the system works and I think you do.

The government has a job to do and has to be a good steward with the people's money. GSA is the policy wonk (and I think we would all agree that there should be a a single policy) and writes the FTR and DoD writes the JTR based on GSA's FTR.

It being government procurement it is supposed to be fair and open so GSA runs the contract city pairs program and airlines submit their bids and there are winners. Most people regard it as highly successful and the government gets some spectacular fares including no capacity restraints meaning Last seat availability

People being people have their own minds and they wander off, if you let them . The contract winners, if they perceive or detect large bleed in gov. traffic, complain to GSA (quite rightly IMO). I mean it does takes some work to submit a bid. If needs be GSA can wield its wonky policy sword/pen and remind the agencies/departments that the city pairs is mandated. Most of the Departments etc. get it.

So not only does it have to do with offering a good price in return for all/most traffic, the airlines aren't shy about complaining to the contracts officer ;-)

Last edited by hazelrah; Jan 31, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by kelvinj
I am about to accept a position with the Federal Government and will travel frequently. How does City Pairs work, as it concerns sticking with Delta exclusively.
Here's the website you need to consult: GSA Airline City Pairs It will let you see which airline(s) currently have the contracts for the flights you would be taking. Enter your home airport as the departure city, leave the arrival city blank, and then click the "Search FY15" button.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
There is some flexibility. First, if you live in DC, you can use one of the three airports, and I found that DL had a lot of contract fares out of IAD, so I used that. You can use any you want as long as you don't take a $120 cab ride to BWI! GSA doesn't care. You also have some leeway to specify another carrier if the contract fare is not available when you need it, such as a late departure which would otherwise necessitate that you spend another night. Concur, the govt travel agency, can generally help you here, since they know the rules.

Btw, most of the fares are QCA, not YCA, so the upgrades are based on Q class.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by kelvinj
I am about to accept a position with the Federal Government and will travel frequently. How does City Pairs work, as it concerns sticking with Delta exclusively. Is there any way to do this, or are employees forced to take certain airlines to certain destinations?
A big factor will be where will you be based and where will your destinations be. I've had to arrange quite a bit of government travel between points where no contract exists, largely between points outside the US.

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
The contract choices sometimes seem wacky. But from a public point of view it works really well -- the fares are mostly really low.
Actually, my experience is that while the contract rates quite affordable in short-notice situations, they often more expensive than excursion fares with advance notice.

I believe use of the contract city pairs has always been mandated.
Always be careful of the word "always." The program hasn't always been in existence. Nor has the GSA or FTR, for that matter.

Last edited by Indelaware; Feb 1, 2015 at 11:11 am Reason: fixed formatting
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What happens if someone books tickets far in advance (although SOP would mean that the government doesn't purchase the tickets until very close to departure) and then the government contract carrier changes? Would you be able to continue using the previous airline, for example through the end of the year to (re)qualify for status, and then perhaps do a status match to the new government carrier for your route?
It's been a while since Mr. Kipper had a trip that was planned well in advance, but his agency reserves the tickets, but doesn't actually have them issued until 72 hours prior to departure. This can be horrible when trying to use upgrade instruments on various airlines.
Originally Posted by orca15

This is my experience with Mr. Kipper's travel. Some years, he's managed to hit status on one airline, others he's had 10,000 miles each on a few different airlines.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
It's been a while since Mr. Kipper had a trip that was planned well in advance, but his agency reserves the tickets, but doesn't actually have them issued until 72 hours prior to departure. This can be horrible when trying to use upgrade instruments on various airlines.

This is my experience with Mr. Kipper's travel. Some years, he's managed to hit status on one airline, others he's had 10,000 miles each on a few different airlines.
I understand that, but I was asking about what happens if you've made a reservation in advance and then the government contract carrier for your route changes. Are you forced to rebook using the new government carrier or can you use the airline you booked before the change?

If your tickets are grandfathered in with the old government contract carrier, this could be a way to maintain status if you can book your fourth quarter travel before the end of September. Of course, you would eventually be forced to switch to the new government contract carrier, but at least you could hang onto status for a year this way. It's easier to make status, without a status match/challenge, if you change carriers at the start of the calendar year for calendar year based FF programs (as all USA legacy carrier programs are).
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:21 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand that, but I was asking about what happens if you've made a reservation in advance and then the government contract carrier for your route changes. Are you forced to rebook using the new government carrier or can you use the airline you booked before the change?

If your tickets are grandfathered in with the old government contract carrier, this could be a way to maintain status if you can book your fourth quarter travel before the end of September. Of course, you would eventually be forced to switch to the new government contract carrier, but at least you could hang onto status for a year this way. It's easier to make status, without a status match/challenge, if you change carriers at the start of the calendar year for calendar year based FF programs (as all USA legacy carrier programs are).
I don't know, in that the tickets aren't actually purchased when reserved. It might depend on how strict the agency is about travel regulations and city pairs.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Often1
It is worth remembering that most government appointments are probationary for some period of time. I would stick far within the rules until you fully understand the rules and how your particular decision unit handles them.
This is the best advice of the thread and should not be ignored for the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.