Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Gold skymiles upgrade or cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Delta Gold skymiles upgrade or cancel?

My delta gold's annual fee would be due next month and I'm thinking of canceling or upgrading the card. I asked them if it is possible to convert it to a no annual fee card like amex everyday card they said no just conversions in the delta family of cards.

I can outright cancel the card or I can upgrade to platinum. The question is if I get a companion certificate if I upgrade and pay the 195$ fee. They said January of next year. Can I still use the certificate if I cancel the card next year? and generally how good is the certificate?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I believe you have to hold the Platinum version of the card for 1 year before you are issued a companion certificate. Sometimes the Amex computers goof the dates in your favor, but YMMV.

Lots of info on the certificates here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rtificate.html

Personally, I like the Platinum DL card because I have easily been able to use my certs every year and enjoy the MQM opportunities. Other people, not so much. But it's very much a YMMV, it seems.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I think the Platinum card is valuable if you want to be elite and can hit the $25k/year spend cause then you get the MQM bonus and the MQD waiver. If that isn't a factor for you, then I doubt the card is worth the $195 annual fee.

gooselee is correct, you don't get your first companion cert until you've paid your 2nd annual fee (1 year after sign up)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.