Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MCO-LAX-LAS in March - FCM, RUC, or Roll the Dice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM

Decided to route via LAX for this trip in early March.

FCM is very expensive, $800 RT. RUC is available on the return, but not outbound.

Thinking that the number of DMs will be less after 3/1 therefore increasing my UG probability. But now wondering if routing via ATL would have been better...

Opinions?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Always roll the dice. Besides, you are going to Vegas.

Domestic UG are nice, but not worth spending any cash/cert on.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2.7MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Likely worth a RUC. At least you will have it leaving LAS. RUC (coded correctly) should give you a decent shot on the outbound. That said LAS many times fills up with paying passengers.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL
That said LAS many times fills up with paying passengers.
I was thinking the MCO-LAX-LAS-LAX-MCO routing would have fewer paid F seats. The seat map (I know, I know, netoriouly inaccurate, but what else is there?), currently shows 21 or 26 F seats open each way.

Not concerned about the 1-hour-plus CRJ LAX-LAS-LAX UG.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I was thinking the MCO-LAX-LAS-LAX-MCO routing would have fewer paid F seats. The seat map (I know, I know, netoriouly inaccurate, but what else is there?), currently shows 21 or 26 F seats open each way.

Not concerned about the 1-hour-plus CRJ LAX-LAS-LAX UG.
I fly either this route or only MCO-LAX just about every month. Since the Diamond program began, I have never missed an UG if the aircraft is a 757. However, I have missed a couple over the years when the aircraft is a 737. Also note that sometimes the scheduled aircraft is 757 but they substitute a 737 instead.

For LAX-LAS, it is usually an RJ9, every once in a while mainline. UG every time.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I fly either this route or only MCO-LAX just about every month. Since the Diamond program began, I have never missed an UG if the aircraft is a 757. However, I have missed a couple over the years when the aircraft is a 737. Also note that sometimes the scheduled aircraft is 757 but they substitute a 737 instead.
Thanks for the heads up about equipment swap. I purposely chose the 757 flights...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who

For LAX-LAS, it is usually an RJ9, every once in a while mainline. UG every time.
As a DM, I have missed it several times, even on 757's. It's all really dependent on when you're flying. MCO-LAX is filled pretty heavily with business travellers monday, thursday, and friday, which are the times I find it hard to get upgraded. years ago this was never the case...i never missed the upgrade, even as a silver on a 737. Sadly, times have changed.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
If a 757, I rarely miss, but a 737 on this route does make it tough. MCO is becoming a very heavy FCM market as well.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
If you really want F, $800 doesn't seem all that outrageous. Peace of mind is worth something.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
If you really want F, $800 doesn't seem all that outrageous. Peace of mind is worth something.
The $812 is in addition to the $499 paid for V out and U back. Everyone has their price-points. Depending on the distance I am willing to pay $100 to $200 each way, but not $400...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
The $812 is in addition to the $499 paid for V out and U back.
Ah, didn't know that. Yup, that's a bit rich for my blood.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
As a DM, I have missed it several times, even on 757's. It's all really dependent on when you're flying. MCO-LAX is filled pretty heavily with business travellers monday, thursday, and friday, which are the times I find it hard to get upgraded. years ago this was never the case...i never missed the upgrade, even as a silver on a 737. Sadly, times have changed.
Thanks for the insight. Here is the RUC inventory:

Wednesday: MCO-LAX No
LAX-LAS Yes
Friday: LAS-LAX No
LAX-MCO Yes

Decided to use a RUC for the return figuring Friday evening could as you suggest...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Thanks for the insight. Here is the RUC inventory:

Wednesday: MCO-LAX No
LAX-LAS Yes
Friday: LAS-LAX No
LAX-MCO Yes

Decided to use a RUC for the return figuring Friday evening could as you suggest...
Good choice. Friday would generally. Be the tougher upgrade. Wednesday, I would think chances are good.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
MCO-LAX is a roll of the dice for me. But for whatever reason I have never missed the upgrade (even as a silver) on the 757 red eye LAX-MCO. I guess there are more medallions trying to leave FL than those trying to get in. But as far as connecting to the west coast from MCO then LAX is certainly better for upgrades than MCO-SLC. The only time I get upgraded on MCO-SLC is if it's a Saturday.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Good choice. Friday would generally. Be the tougher upgrade. Wednesday, I would think chances are good.
And, based upon my review of other RUC usage comments I decided to join the RUC waitlist for the MCO-LAX leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.