Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any Delta Diamonds live/commute from IAH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer

Or do you join the Continental ranks?

I mean IAH. Sorry!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:38 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I fly in and out of IAH monthly for work. It has become a tougher upgrade over the last 4-5 months. I usually arrive Monday evening and depart Thursday evening. My guess is that FCM and UA elites moving to Delta are the two main reasons for this.

The A terminal is pretty bland but the KLM lounge in D is accessible by SkyClub members. They have one soup, snacks, and make your own sandwiches. Not a bad spread - I give myself 10-15 minutes to get from the lounge in D to the A gates.

There is PreCheck at D so if you are arriving at the airport in time for the lounge you can clear security in D and then take the train to A when it is ready to board.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by TTT
I fly in and out of IAH monthly for work. It has become a tougher upgrade over the last 4-5 months. I usually arrive Monday evening and depart Thursday evening. My guess is that FCM and UA elites moving to Delta are the two main reasons for this.

The A terminal is pretty bland but the KLM lounge in D is accessible by SkyClub members. They have one soup, snacks, and make your own sandwiches. Not a bad spread - I give myself 10-15 minutes to get from the lounge in D to the A gates.

There is PreCheck at D so if you are arriving at the airport in time for the lounge you can clear security in D and then take the train to A when it is ready to board.

Hope that helps.
IAH used to have a nice, little Crown Room upstairs above the ticketing area. <sigh>
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:54 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
IAH used to have a nice, little Crown Room upstairs above the ticketing area. <sigh>
That would make A a much nicer terminal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Not a Diamond and I do not live there, but am in and out of IAH weekly. Arrive mid/late Monday morning, and leave Thursday evening. As a GM, I average around 18 on the upgrade list for 4-5 seats (into and out of IAH only) on lower tier fares- K is typically about as high as I can get given price restrictions in place by the client.

I would guess (with zero data to back it up), that a DM with a mid level fare would have a decent shot at an upgrade.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Thanks. I wonder if anyone lives there and primarily flies Delta? I guess Continental is non stop to just about everywhere. Be hard to pass that up.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, HH-Diamond, Avis-Pres. CLub, SPG-Plat, Delta-Diamond, Amex-Centurion
I live in Houston and fly to DTW 35-40 times a year. I have flown Delta exclusively for the last 2 years. A discount 1st class fare on Delta is about the same price as Y on United and with United primarily flying RJ145's on that route, it's an easy choice. There is also a United Club in the A Terminal at IAH. It seems that about 50% of the people in the A United Club are flying Delta.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdieman
I live in Houston and fly to DTW 35-40 times a year. I have flown Delta exclusively for the last 2 years. A discount 1st class fare on Delta is about the same price as Y on United and with United primarily flying RJ145's on that route, it's an easy choice. There is also a United Club in the A Terminal at IAH. It seems that about 50% of the people in the A United Club are flying Delta.
That is a seriously long RJ145 flight!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
The office I report to is in the Houston area. I go there once a year or so.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Unexpected Rough Heir
Thanks. I wonder if anyone lives there and primarily flies Delta? I guess Continental is non stop to just about everywhere. Be hard to pass that up.
Except it's not CO any more: UA and CO have merged (badly).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Originally Posted by birdieman
There is also a United Club in the A Terminal at IAH. It seems that about 50% of the people in the A United Club are flying Delta.
That is probably one of the saddest clubs I've ever been to. No bathroom.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Except it's not CO any more: UA and CO have merged (badly).
I keep forgetting that. Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I am DM and moved to Houston last year. Spouse still lives in MSP, so I fly there 3-4 times per month. I travel on Friday and Sunday evening, always on DL. I have not sat in coach since hitting DM and am usually upgraded at the window on T and lower fares. I do sometimes buy FCM if the price is right for me. As others others have said, the KLM lounge is a nice predeparture venue if allow time to get there and back. Note that the lounge closes at 6 PM most days.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. I'd be going all over the U.S. and occasionally beyond. I guess I will have to weigh the direct flight vs price and time and upgrades.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I'm a Houston based DM. I agree with all of the previous comments. Upgrade chances are good during most times. Not surprising, Atlanta is usually the hardest upgrade. KLM lounge in D is worth visiting and since KE started flying, hours are now ~7am-6pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.