Disappearing Perk of Comp Upgrades

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was recently offered to UG an ATL/PIT flight for $199!!! Does anyone really bite at that price?!?
I am too (confused).

Is the complaint that they charge too much, or they charge too little?

Some will never be happy, I guess.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bubbashow
No. Our best customers get space-available upgrades. The entire 3G&G crowd omits those two (most-critical) words in their expectations and rants. They have always been in the sentence. Some just got overly-entitled. Thats all. If one is incapable of reading such qualifiers, I don't know what I can type that will help them as they are probably not comprehending the simple sentences I am typing now.
Not typing the words in posts is not the same as being unaware of the concept of "space available."

... no matter how often you repeat your canard, repetition does not equate to reality.

The point that many folks do express in their posts is that there needs to be a rational balance between benefits advertised and benefits attainable in order to maintain the credibility of the frequent flyer program.

You, on the other hand, seem to maintain that the program no longer needs credibility since, for now at least, the airline is in the position to dictate terms. And, you seem to be quite sanguine about what others regard to be shabby treatment because you, as a stockholder, feel you are doing OK.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Not typing the words in posts is not the same as being unaware of the concept of "space available."

... no matter how often you repeat your canard, repetition does not equate to reality.

The point that many folks do express in their posts is that there needs to be a rational balance between benefits advertised and benefits attainable in order to maintain the credibility of the frequent flyer program.

You, on the other hand, seem to maintain that the program no longer needs credibility since, for now at least, the airline is in the position to dictate terms. And, you seem to be quite sanguine about what others regard to be shabby treatment because you, as a stockholder, feel you are doing OK.
...and what you seem to reflect in your myopic presentation of me is your lack of understanding that last year I earned DM by BIS (only 3K miles rollover). I spend a lot of time in DL planes as well. More than MANY on this site. As a DM, I feel I am doing QUITE OK (no matter how my portfolio is performing).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
^^^^+1000
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
No. Our best customers get space-available upgrades. The entire 3G&G crowd omits those two (most-critical) words in their expectations and rants. They have always been in the sentence. Some just got overly-entitled. Thats all. If one is incapable of reading such qualifiers, I don't know what I can type that will help them as they are probably not comprehending the simple sentences I am typing now.
When an advertised benefit turns out to be a unicorn, it's not really a benefit and becomes false advertising.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:33 pm

I am too (confused).

Is the complaint that they charge too much, or they charge too little?

Some will never be happy, I guess.
I do that trip, with a connection to AVL several times a month, and the $199.00 cost for a one way upgrade is high. RT is generally< $300.00.

I never bite, as the flight generally has a wheels up/wheels down time of only 1:30.

If DL can entice others to pay that amount to move into F, that's fine with me and good for DL, but an EC aisle seat is all that I need.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Quote:

Originally Posted by micstatic

I agree. Delta should follow the path of maximizing shareholder value. But the public is starting to turn on airlines. I think eventually the government will be forced to permit foreign airlines to fly domestic. And I won't be complaining. Isn't there a saying about if you make your bed...

That day can't come soon enough. The government should not be in the business of protecting the airlines.
I agree. They also should not be immune from state laws against deceptive advertising and etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by micstatic

Duh. A little critical thinking? Read some news archives. I'm not saying this is specifically about upgrades. Fees and high fares. Oligopoly. Customers want choices. Eventually the world influence will force the U.S. into allowing foreign ownership. Just like any other industry. Then competition will go up. Customer experience will improve. I find it almost hard to believe that you are not a delta employee. I don't you will admit it. If you were the customer you say you are you wouldn't read flyer talk since you always buy first. Threads like this and others you reply to should really have zero appeal to you. I think you are s shareholder via profit sharing

I think the chances of cabotage on a wide level is slim and none. While I think it would be fantastic, not going to happen. Ever.
It wouldn't be fantastic for the price of your DL shares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKC6

Hmmm . . . &quot;Our best customers sometimes get leftovers.&quot;

No. Our best customers get space-available upgrades. The entire 3G&amp;G crowd omits those two (most-critical) words in their expectations and rants. They have always been in the sentence. Some just got overly-entitled. Thats all. If one is incapable of reading such qualifiers, I don't know what I can type that will help them as they are probably not comprehending the simple sentences I am typing now.
What's 3G&G? I know it's some kind of derogatory term for people seeking free UGs but not exactly sure what?

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 7, 2015 at 11:53 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
lagniappe

Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
When an advertised benefit turns out to be a unicorn, it's not really a benefit and becomes false advertising.
Exactly. It's always been a lagniappe; we get that. But when it goes from daily to weekly to monthly to "unicorn" (nice!), without any acknowledgement from DL management or advertising, that's misleading.

We get those perky little e-mails from time to time. Why not one that says, Sorry you're getting fewer UG's lately, but we're using FCM money to enhance our EC/C+/planes/FA's/GA's/rampers/whatever?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:37 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AKC6
Exactly. It's always been a lagniappe; we get that. But when it goes from daily to weekly to monthly to "unicorn" (nice!), without any acknowledgement from DL management or advertising, that's misleading.

We get those perky little e-mails from time to time. Why not one that says, Sorry you're getting fewer UG's lately, but we're using FCM money to enhance our EC/C+/planes/FA's/GA's/rampers/whatever?
Here's the thing about that . . . .

The page on DL.com that talks about UGs is still titled at the top in HUGE letters . . . . .

"Unlimited Complimentary Medallion® Upgrades"

Taka look:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

It makes you think EVERYONE'S riding up front! (if you don't know better).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
What's 3G&G? I know it's some kind of derogatory term for people seeking EARNED UGs but not exactly sure what?
Fixed that for you.

I doubt you will get an answer (the question has been asked before to no avail), so I'll offer my suspected meaning:

3G&G = Gimme, Gimme, Gimme & Gimme

Reflecting an attitude shared by a haughty handful on FT who like to derisively and unfairly portray folks who come here to commiserate about decreasing benefits as being worthless ne'er-do-wells looking for a handout.

Just my hunch.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
Here's the thing about that . . . .

The page on DL.com that talks about UGs is still titled at the top in HUGE letters . . . . .

"Unlimited Complimentary Medallion® Upgrades"

Taka look:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

It makes you think EVERYONE'S riding up front! (if you don't know better).
But I am sure that "subject to availability" is in the same font sizes as "UNLIMITED"... isn't it?

Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Fixed that for you.
Reflecting an attitude shared by a haughty handful on FT who like to derisively and unfairly portray folks who come here to commiserate about decreasing benefits as being worthless ne'er-do-wells looking for a handout.
And that's putting it nicely! Especially when terms such as "human excrement" have been used.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's putting it nicely! Especially when terms such as "human excrement" have been used.
I was generalizing about a group of members.

But, yes, being classified in that fashion is hard to forget.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:53 am

[QUOT. E=StaSee ingHomeIs Ber;24254005]But I am sure t hat "subject to availability" is in the s ame font sizes as "UNL. IMITED"... isn't it?

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm..i read live commercials for an auto dealer and they are advertising a Chrysler 200 lease for 145 a month. There are SIGNIFICANT restrictions on that lease including mileage, affiliation, conquest, etc. "See dealer for details" was determined by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters" to be sufficient qualification. Independent ability for deductive thought is assumed. Same with dl. Perhaps they are giving too much ability credit to their"best" customers?

Oh yeah:
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:52 am

But as I mentioned in another thread I was offered an FCM of only $49 to upgrade both legs of an MEM-ATL-MCO trip. Stop acting like DL has found a way to pull gold out of their .... Who is the better customer? The medallion who buys K+ fares several times a month or the once a year vacation guy on a T fare who grabbed the cheap FCM upgrade?
Do you know that vacation guy on a T got the same $49 offer? I can only assume that in the world of FCM that the discount is based on the fare class, and possibly elite status, routing, and not just a flat rate. I would suspect that vacation guy on a T got a higher offer, if any offer for FCM, then the elite on a K+.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.