Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles gold status Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Skymiles gold status Help

Hi I'm currently silver medallion on delta skymiles and I'm missing 1600 Mqms to get to gold medallion my status is expiring Feb 28 is there a way i can get those Mqms without buying the 3k miles or flying? Any help will be apreciated thanks
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I'm in the same boat, but was only ~800 MQMs short; I had to cancel a trip at year end that would have gotten me over the hump. Not sure there are any other options. At this point, there is no way I am paying to get the status back given the changes taking place on 3/1, most notably the lack of free EC seats.

FWIW, I will re-qualify for GM in the 3rd week of March, so it isn't that big of a deal.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
At this point, no. The only way is to buy the MQMs - you can't even fly for it anymore.

But, whatever you have over Silver should have rolled over to give you a head start on Gold this year (for 2016 status!)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Status is earned by flying between 1/1/2014 and 12/31/2014. The buy MQMs deal is the only option for attaining status outside of the earning time frame above (though I am not sure of the Amex MQM details - they might apply for some members, but you would already need the Amex).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Oh understood now i have to get 1600 Mqms to get silver this year again
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:52 pm

Yes - if you were 1600 MQMs short of Gold last year, that means you had 48,400 MQMs.

Your only option, if you want Gold for 2015, is to buy those 1,600 MQMs.

If you do not choose to do so, because you have 23,400 over the Silver threshold (25,000), you will start 2015 with 23,400 MQMs as a jump start for 2016 status. So yeah, 1,600 MQMs short of silver.

Keep in mind that if you live in the US, you will still have to meet your MQDs, as those do not roll over.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Yes - if you were 1600 MQMs short of Gold last year, that means you had 48,400 MQMs.

Your only option, if you want Gold for 2015, is to buy those 1,600 MQMs.

If you do not choose to do so, because you have 23,400 over the Silver threshold (25,000), you will start 2015 with 23,400 MQMs as a jump start for 2016 status. So yeah, 1,600 MQMs short of silver.

Keep in mind that if you live in the US, you will still have to meet your MQDs, as those do not roll over.
....and if you haven't satisfied the MQD requirement in 2014 for FO, you lose all of the MQMs and gt no rollover.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....and if you haven't satisfied the MQD requirement in 2014 for FO, you lose all of the MQMs and gt no rollover.
Whoa... really? I didn't know this.

So if a customer accrued 49,000 MQMs between 1/1/14 and 12/31/14, but only accrued $2,400 MQDs during that same earning period, and had no AMEX spend waiver, then that customer would not only not get FO status for 2015, they would also lose all 49,000 roll over MQMs, and have to start at zero zero from 1/1/15 onwards? No MQM rollover at all?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:38 am

Yes that's correct - you only get MQMs above and beyond your Medallion tier.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:22 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Flyertall
Whoa... really? I didn't know this.

So if a customer accrued 49,000 MQMs between 1/1/14 and 12/31/14, but only accrued $2,400 MQDs during that same earning period, and had no AMEX spend waiver, then that customer would not only not get FO status for 2015, they would also lose all 49,000 roll over MQMs, and have to start at zero zero from 1/1/15 onwards? No MQM rollover at all?
You have to actually hit a tier before you can roll anything over, so, if you have, as in your example, 49,000 MQMs, but only $2400 MQDs and no Amex waiver, you aren't at ANY tier at all, and you would have 0 MQMs on Jan 1.

I know, it's hard to believe AND hard to understand how it works sometimes.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:25 am

So in my hypothetical example, being just 1K MQMs shy of GM, or an easy 2 years of FO assuming a 24K rollover, I would instead be a mere $100 MQDs shy of getting ANYTHING, and losing EVERYTHING.

Do I understand this correctly?

While MQMs can be bought at the end of the year, does the money used to purchase MQMs count toward MQD's?

When MQMs are bought in the month of January, do they count toward the previous year's earning period, or do they only count during the calendar year purchased?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Flyertall
So in my hypothetical example, being just 1K MQMs shy of GM, or an easy 2 years of FO assuming a 24K rollover, I would instead be a mere $100 MQDs shy of getting ANYTHING, and losing EVERYTHING.

Do I understand this correctly?

While MQMs can be bought at the end of the year, does the money used to purchase MQMs count toward MQD's?

When MQMs are bought in the month of January, do they count toward the previous year's earning period, or do they only count during the calendar year purchased?
Yes, if you live in the USA and do not achieve the minimum MQD, you will lose status and rollover miles.

Under the current offer, MQMs purchased in January apply towards last year's accrual. MQDs apply for the purchase of MQMs.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It makes sense that kettles don't get rollover because, for example, if someone does 5,000 MQMs per year, it probably doesn't make sense for them to become an "elite" (FO) every fifth year, assuming that FO benefits are valuable.

When MQDs are added to the mix, DL probably wants to avoid having someone hold back on meeting the MQD requirement, rollover a large amount, spend a bunch quickly on a DL AmEx card, and then get high tier status for almost two years versus only one year if they had met the MQD requirement in the earlier year.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When MQDs are added to the mix, DL probably wants to avoid having someone hold back on meeting the MQD requirement, rollover a large amount, spend a bunch quickly on a DL AmEx card, and then get high tier status for almost two years versus only one year if they had met the MQD requirement in the earlier year.

The single paragraph above sailed over my head like an airplane in the sky, far beyond my mental reach to comprehend.

Before even attempting to tackle it, may I first get a couple of things clarified from my hypothetical scenario?

If Delta's offer to purchase MQMs during this month of January is for retroactive application for the previous status earning period ending 12/31/14... and if the dollars used to purchase MQMs count as MQDs, then which earning period do the MQDs spent for the extra MQMs apply to?

The same earning period that the MQMs are retroactively applied to?

Or the current earning period, such that while the MQMs are applied retroactively, the MQDs are applied only to the current period?

Which is the case? Obviously, the distinction would make a material difference in terms of "saving" the 49,000 MQMs that would otherwise be lost for lack of sufficient MQDs in the previous period.

And what are "kettles"? I thought "kettle" was the user name of another Flyertalker who participates on the forum. Now "kettles' is being used as a noun, almost like a denomination of currency. Are "kettles" flyertalker lingo for MQMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.