Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I make itinerary changes if the type of aircraft is changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Currently I'm looking at airfare between PIT and FLL in March. Delta probably is what I will go with with a layover in ATL. The issue I'm having is that Kayak, Expedia, Fly.com, etc. were showing a two certain flights operated by a 767-300 while on Delta's own website it's a 757-300, 757-200, or A320. I've looked at this specific flight (DL 827) and another (DL 1427) departing on different days. Even if I started booking on Kayak it would take me to the DL website to finish but still show the aircraft as a 767-300 but if I searched/booked on DL's website for the SAME EXACT flight, it was showing to be operated by a different aircraft. I just checked one more time on Delta's website and it's now showing a 767-300 which matches the other websites. So everything seems to be in order now, but what if other changes are made regarding just the type of plane? Will I be notified and be able to make a change to my itinerary without charge? And I guess why did this occur in the first place?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since your post deals specifically with one airline, it will do better here in the dedicated Delta Airlines discussion forum.

For future reference, please note that all FT airline forums are found under Airlines and Mileage Programs in the Miles & Points section of the FORUMS INDEX.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Type of aircraft is not guaranteed. Carriers change aircraft routinely, adding or subtracting capacity, to balance maintenance and refurbishment needs, to balance crew utlization...

If the change to arrival or departure time exceeds 90 minutes you can get a refund. In that situation DL would likely allow you to reschedule on any DL-operated flight on your ticketed travel dates.

If DL changes carrier (as with substituting DL Connection for a DL mainline flight) you can get a refund.

If you buy a ticket directly from DL, DL is responsible for notifying you of schedule changes. That may not take the form of an email until ~30 days before flight.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
No, equipment changes do not allow you to avoid change fees....and no you won't be notified. If it switches from Delta mainline to Delta Connection then you can make a change.

Equipment changes happen and they are always trying to make best use of their fleet.

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Airlines have language about this in the COC. Domestically it boils down to a jet is a jet and a prop is a prop. Unless they try to change you from one to the other you don't have much recourse beyond asking them to waive a change fee which I doubt they will do. Internationally some airlines allow for change on routes with newer aircraft or a newer/higher value product such as new first vs old first on BA.

So no is your answer.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Well ... last year I booked a G fare DTW-PVD for over July 4, on a CR7 or CR9 (can't remember which). About a month later DL did a wholesale schedule revision on the route which knocked it down to two flights, one of which was a CR2. I was rebooked on the CR2, I suppose because it was closest in time to my original flight. I called up to rebook on an evening mainline flight and reclaim my F seat, and it was handled quickly. I'm not sure if the key was the lack of F seats on the CR2 or the more than 90 minute change in flight times.

But in general, no, equipment changes don't trigger an obligation on DL's part to allow you to rebook at no cost.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Airlines have language about this in the COC. Domestically it boils down to a jet is a jet and a prop is a prop. Unless they try to change you from one to the other you don't have much recourse beyond asking them to waive a change fee which I doubt they will do.
The issue isn't prop vs jet. AFAIK, the only Delta Connection props operate out of SLC via SkyWest. By every definition, CRJs and ERJs are jets. The issue is operating carrier.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It may be good for you to read the Contract of Carriage which is posted on DL's website. It will tell you exactly when you may obtain a refund or a fee-free change.

A change of aircraft alone is not a reason. Aircraft substitutions may occur at any time between the time you make your reservation and the moment the flight pushes back on the date of departure.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. That's what I figured but wasn't sure. If the 763 does get swapped out, hopefully it's for a 753.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:33 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
The issue isn't prop vs jet. AFAIK, the only Delta Connection props operate out of SLC via SkyWest. By every definition, CRJs and ERJs are jets. The issue is operating carrier.
Oh god - the silver planes - had to get to Elko in one.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Well ... last year I booked a G fare DTW-PVD for over July 4, on a CR7 or CR9 (can't remember which). About a month later DL did a wholesale schedule revision on the route which knocked it down to two flights, one of which was a CR2. I was rebooked on the CR2, I suppose because it was closest in time to my original flight. I called up to rebook on an evening mainline flight and reclaim my F seat, and it was handled quickly. I'm not sure if the key was the lack of F seats on the CR2 or the more than 90 minute change in flight times.

But in general, no, equipment changes don't trigger an obligation on DL's part to allow you to rebook at no cost.
If you purchased a G (FC) fare, it's surely reasonable to be rebooked onto a flight with FC if possible. Most DL agents will also allow you to rebook for free when there's a 90 minute schedule change, even if this doesn't officially entitle you to a refund.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:42 am

many DL agents will permit rebooking on preferred flights on schedule changes far less than 90 minutes

just start the call playing dumb, explaining the new flight is not ideal, and inquire on options. let the DL agent suggest alternative flights and jump when your preferred is mentioned. if you want a refund, have a reasonable comment why the new choices won't work and ask for other choices - see if DL agent mentions cancel & refund
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Oh god - the silver planes - had to get to Elko in one.
Embraer 120 Brasilia .... they used to fly them to SUN, as well as various other small destinations out of SLC. I believe Skywest started phasing them out sometime last year.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Colin
many DL agents will permit rebooking on preferred flights on schedule changes far less than 90 minutes

just start the call playing dumb, explaining the new flight is not ideal, and inquire on options. let the DL agent suggest alternative flights and jump when your preferred is mentioned. if you want a refund, have a reasonable comment why the new choices won't work and ask for other choices - see if DL agent mentions cancel & refund
Most DL agents are very reasonable about schedule changes, although the threshold for a complete refund seems to be higher than for rebooking.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to just do your "research" first and quickly ask for what you want rather than waiting for the agent to suggest it. Some agents are likely to be more flexible if the reward to them is getting you off the phone fast.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most DL agents are very reasonable about schedule changes, although the threshold for a complete refund seems to be higher than for rebooking.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to just do your "research" first and quickly ask for what you want rather than waiting for the agent to suggest it. Some agents are likely to be more flexible if the reward to them is getting you off the phone fast.
As it should be. I find DL to be the most flexible if you want to make changes, but they shouldn't be handing out refunds for no reason!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.