Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM on DL or FO + Gold on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

GM on DL or FO + Gold on AA?

Looking at my plans for the year, it looks like I could make GM.

Another option would be to maintain FO and also get Gold on AA.

I do some travel to PTY and LIM as well as a few domestic trips to the East and Southeast.

What are your thoughts? Which would be most advantageous?

What if I ditched DL and went for Platinum on AA?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you know, don't you, that your questions are just going to generate a host of polarized and opinionated responses from a host of FTers who believe they know the single most accurate and/or relevant answer for everyone's situation

that said, the (largely) unwritten common theme of all those responses is "YOU are the only one who can decide what MIGHT be best for YOU"

and THAT said, you can probably replace "Skymiles" in your tag line with "Status" without losing any impact or relevance
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:11 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CalVol
Looking at my plans for the year, it looks like I could make GM.

Another option would be to maintain FO and also get Gold on AA.

I do some travel to PTY and LIM as well as a few domestic trips to the East and Southeast.

What are your thoughts? Which would be most advantageous?

What if I ditched DL and went for Platinum on AA?
It really depends where you are based and what benefits really matter to you.
I have been a combination of different metals in DL/AA, it all comes down to what I think should work the best for me.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by B7e7US
It really depends where you are based and what benefits really matter to you.
That's how I would frame it. What's the incremental benefit of DL Gold vs. DL silver, weighed against the added flexibility of the AA network for the OP's specific routes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A further complication is whether the AA/US merger will be a mess like UA/CO was and still is.

If OP wants to try AA, why not go for Plat and get a DL AmEx card to get many of the benefits of FO?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A further complication is whether the AA/US merger will be a mess like UA/CO was and still is.
So far, I would say that Dougie is doing well and the merger is being executed with considerable caution. Plus the AA/US labor groups are doing a great job of dividing themselves up so that Dougie can look like a hero.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP wants to try AA, why not go for Plat and get a DL AmEx card to get many of the benefits of FO?
Pretty good suggestion IMO. ^

Last year, AA was handing out complimentary Gold and Plat status. I think it's back to the normal status challenges these days.

David
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
If routes are the same convenience on both airlines for you, I would go for gold on Delta. If you fly international, you'll get lounge access as a GM on Delta, and you will have a small shot at upgrades. American you have to be EP for free upgrades. You'll also be SP with Delta, and while the EC benefit is going away March 1, the free inventory will open up in EC for you before FO.

Now if it was a choice between PM or DM on Delta or EP on American, I would say go for EP. Only reason I don't jump ship to American is I am an MSP hub captive and don't have the time to deal with connections.

Status on AA use to be easy to achieve. I am lifetime Plat through the AA credit card. Credit card miles use to count towards 2MM status and thanks to the US mint I was able to achieve the status easily. IIRC, credit card miles no longer apply to Million mile status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.